JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW library unable to download videos

I use a samsung galaxy tab E. I noticed recently that i can only download books, brochures and magazines. I can’t download videos. I’ve updated jw library to the most recent. I use android version 4.4.2. Any help please

10 hours ago, Mickey said:

I use a samsung galaxy tab E. I noticed recently that i can only download books, brochures and magazines. I can’t download videos. I’ve updated jw library to the most recent. I use android version 4.4.2. Any help please

I am having the same experience on my Samsung Tab A 8.0 and Samsung Tab 4 7.0..Samsung phones ok..plenty of storage and Ram on tablets.

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

Would you be so kind and help me with issue connected with downloading and watching videos:

Trying to solve problem for one older sister.

Device Samsung Galaxy tab A 560 Android 4.4.4.

When I try to download videos nothing happens. If I have already downloaded I cannot start.

I try:

-        Several times reinstall app

-        Factory reset

-        Manually install previous versions

-        Change location for downloads (SD card)

But nothing works.

She had SD card 28gb and mess with the card (download media into the card by other device and then insert card into tablet). I think this is the reason why doesn’t work but what is the solution. I do not have any ideas. Please help!

(Only thing that works is when I download from jw.org and then “import” it to JW library app)

Br. Ruben, Does this device have enough "free" memory space to download the JW Library app WITHOUT the SD memory card installed?

If it does, try removing the SD card and reboot the device.  Delete the JW Library app.  Re-install the app without the SD card inserted. 

When the app is downloaded, does it open?  Install one Bible.  Does it open?  Go to 'Publications' and download a book or magazine.  Does it open correctly?

Go to "settings" and make sure there is no reference to storing "Music" or "Video" on the SD card checked.

If all the answers are YES, then choose a short video (like "What Happens at a Bible Study?").  Try downloading that.  Does it download and will it open?

This process eliminates any confusion about the SD card storage, compatibility, damage or corruption as a source of the problem.  If you still cannot download any video then it seems to be a problem with the device, Android OS, system settings or other software already installed on the device.

Edited by jwhess

Dear Brother John tnx for trying to help me.

I decide to follow all your steps and here are the results:

1: Does this device have enough "free" memory space to download the JW Library app WITHOUT the SD memory card installed?

YES -->3gb

2: try removing the SD card and reboot the device.  Delete the JW Library app.  Re-install the app without the SD card inserted. 

DONE

3. When the app is downloadeddoes it open? 

YES

4. Install one Bible.  Does it open? 

YES

5. Go to 'Publications' and download a book or magazine.  Does it open correctly?

REMARK: When I try to download newer publication everything was OK, but I when I try to download older version of publication it starts (showing violet link, but after few seconds just stops and small cloud was back (See picture 2) Eg. notice books What does the Bible Really teach (yellow -old one) and What can the Bible teach us (gray - new one)?

6. Go to "settings" and make sure there is no reference to storing "Music" or "Video" on the SD card checked.

DONE - was fine no possibility to see because recognize that there is no SD card..only "Memory" was shown

7. choose a short video (like "What Happens at a Bible Study?").  Try downloading that.  Does it download and will it open?

I try to download cartoon video and when I click I receive msgbox with option stream or download and I press OK.

Then this box closes and nothing happens. Try again on any off icons (videos) but nothing happens ( didn't see again previous msgbox)

(See picture 1)

And what now? ;(

1.jpg

2.jpg

One more thing I notice.

I can donload video from jw.org and than manualy import to JWLibrary-than it works.But when I delete video its icon stays in folder JWLibrary -can't be started -media missing (it doesn't automaticly delete icon (just contet). 

Screenshot_2020-05-09-08-22-51.png

Screenshot_2020-05-09-08-23-03.png

Ruben, I don't know how to help but you could contact the branch. There is a Computer Department that helps with problems like these. They might suggest a solution or, if it's a bug in the app, they are in touch with the developers so that it can be corrected.

I was talking with that department a few days ago (in my case in the Spanish branch) regarding an issue I had and they were very helpful.

Edited by carlos

• 2 months later...
On 5/12/2020 at 5:32 AM, carlos said:

Ruben, I don't know how to help but you could contact the branch. There is a Computer Department that helps with problems like these. They might suggest a solution or, if it's a bug in the app, they are in touch with the developers so that it can be corrected.

I was talking with that department a few days ago (in my case in the Spanish branch) regarding an issue I had and they were very helpful.

How can I contact the computer department? I rebuilt my system, and every since, no media will download in the app. It takes a minute or two, after opening the app, for the download locations to become available. I have made sue that all of the updates are installed on my system, my network adapter, and all of the other downloads, on any other app, proceeds flawlessly. I am only having this issue with JWL.

• 3 weeks later...

I am still having issues with downloading media to my PC. My wife's PC downloads perfectly. I built both computers, so the difference is unknowable to me. When I built my system, I used everything that I had in the previous system (now my wife's), the CPU, the GPU, the RAM. The SSD that I had in that system, an NVme M.2, 1 TB, is the only thing that I didn't put on the new board. I bought a 2 TB SSD as my C:\ drive, and that's where I installed JW Library. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, reset, repaired, and all that I can think of to get the app to download. But, it just spins, and spins, and spins..., if I leave it for an hour, do whatever else I need to do, and come back to it, it is still spinning. All literature downloads instantly. But still, no media. 

And oh, by the way, if I leave the app open for a considerable length of time, say, 10-15 minutes, and try to play the media by streaming it, there is no sound. THAT was an issue with the other computer too. If I'm sitting, prepared to play the media at the meetings, if I don't shut JWL down, it will not produce sound. I dunno what else to do.

19 minutes ago, BillyR said:

But, it just spins, and spins, and spins..

Have you verified that there is a folder available for the media?

One of our members had a similar problem and discovered the media folder hadn't been created.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Yes, the folder is created. I even tried to import the media into it, and it didn't work, still. The media for the meeting still indicated a download was needed. Like I said, i can stream media, but it sometimes doesn't play the volume. I don't know what this is. I have never had this many issues with the app before, and I have been using it since 2013 when it was released.

1 minute ago, BillyR said:

Yes, the folder is created. I even tried to import the media into it, and it didn't work, still. The media for the meeting still indicated a download was needed. Like I said, i can stream media, but it sometimes doesn't play the volume. I don't know what this is. I have never had this many issues with the app before, and I have been using it since 2013 when it was released.

Which version of the app are you using?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I am finally able to import the files. It was cumbersome experience, as I have multiple HDD's in my system, and it seems that there was a JWL folder on every one of them, possibly from migrating backups over time. But I noticed in the last reinstall, the download folder was not the C:\user~video/music, it was to another HDD, and just "JW Library/Videos-Music". That made me start looking for folders. I still can't download in the app, but I can import. That's a help.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem on my PC. A workaround for me is to click the 3 dots in the corner of the thumbnail, click "More Languages", click the cloud and it now lets me download the video.

On a related note, I noticed when I attempt to download an audio file in JW Library the app will crash. If I do the steps above and download it from the "More Languages" menu it works just fine. I wonder if this is a JW Library bug. A few months ago I didn't have these issues.

• 1 month later...

Thank you Daniel!  After spending hours, uninstalling, reinstalling, resetting, clearing cache, updating to the latest MS Windows releases and their updates and on and on and on, repeating everything at least twice, finally I saw your post and clicked on "More Languages."  That did it!  I owe you one pal!