JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Recommended Board Games

Recently I found myself going back to old fashioned activity, called Board Games.

This coming weekend , we have organised “Playing Board Games night”  (4 adults, 2 kids)

I have sizeable collection of board games, and we cannot play it all, thus we have settled to play 

1. Ticket To Ride

2. Bohnanza 

3. Scotland Yard ...to include kids as well. 

Do you play boardgames? 
Do you recommend any cool card games or boardgames? 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

22 minutes ago, Dane Rí Rua said:

Love boardgames,i play with my kids at least once a month,they are 3 and 5 and the eldest loves monopoly,we have mario(nintendo)monopoly which is quite simplified....

I love strategy games,so games like Catan,Carcasonne,Agricola are pretty cool.

Wonderful...I am currently researching Spledor and Catan as they are available for purchase from my local shop. 

Edit: decided to buy Agricola (looks fun!)  today ..big thank you for recommendation

Edited by New World Explorer

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

We also love playing board games. When my stepkids were young, we played all togehter, but even now they are adults,

my husband and I continue playing board games regularly. Either the two of us alone or together with friends.

We own Bohnanza & Scotland Yard, too, I love both.

Monopoly is also used quite often, such as various card/dice games.

Lately we often play Rack-O and Azul, I have so much fun with both!

For those who don´t know the last 2 mentioned games:

Edited by coony77

Chrissy :wave:

5 hours ago, Dane Rí Rua said:

Havnt heats of it until you mentioned it,googled it,looks fun especially for kids.

Yes, especially if you want mix adults with kids, this game will suit. 
There is Amazon version as well. 
Agricola comes in 2 versions ...standard and revised (revised is with less cards, but reviews claim is more balanced?)

Which one do you play?

8 minutes ago, Dane Rí Rua said:

Depends on the price but id say revised is probably a bit less complicated more streamlined.

Even revised simpler version looks complicated LOL 

Looks like gamers game, and I am not sure how many in the congregation would enjoy that..that's why I am still thinking.

Perhaps overthinking too much?

18 hours ago, Dane Rí Rua said:

Havnt heats of it until you mentioned it,googled it,looks fun especially for kids.

Got Safari version today, looks fun. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
7 hours ago, Kristian said:

Enjoyed board games since a child! Thank you all for your recommendations. Some are in my Wishlist. I really enjoy Catan with friends. 
Any other recommendations? 

I recently played with friends DIXIT.

Really enjoyed it, bought a game and 3 expansions for myself. 

Going to play it this weekend. 

s-l500.jpg

Love a good game night with friends and family.  Here are some favorites we play pretty regularly.  

Sequence

Jokers & Pegs (or marbles) it's like the game Sorry

Rummikub (we have the extra jokers edition aka "with a twist" depending on where it's found)

Mexican Train

For cards we play

Hand, Knee & Foot (there is also just hand & foot)

Continental Rummy 

On 5/18/2020 at 6:53 AM, New World Explorer said:

3. Scotland Yard

I remember this when it first came out and my mate got it as a present. We used to play it for hours, as he loved being Mr X and I usually played all the detectives. We had gotten to the point that he had to limit me down to 4 detectives, as I would always catch him. I had worked out a system on how to track him and that gave me the advantage. He was good at playing Mr X compared to our other friends, but he couldn't play the detectives a good as I, and if I was Mr X I would always win.

There is a Java script version of the game where you play all 5 detectives to catch Mr X, which I generally have a 90% catch rate.

21 hours ago, CouveBro said:

Rummikub

I was banned from playing this game by various brothers and sisters, as a sister was in a bit of a pickle and she couldn't get herself to meld what she had to get herself going. She asked me for some help, and I was able to rearrange what she had to create a meld which then led to the point of her winning the game. Thus they banned me from playing.

We sometimes play Monopoly - we have several versions/themes

We also like to play Clue

For card games:

One that has its own cards is Uno

For one played with traditional playing cards we play Rummy and Canasta

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Myself and a few friends used to love playing "500" card game, but with 6 people. We started playing as 2 teams of 3, then as 3 pairs thus creating a cutthroat game. We were so used to playing and winning our selected calls, regardless whether we changed partners etc.

We then added a new rule, you had to make your call without looking at the cards that you were dealt with. The highest call was then allowed to get the extra 3 cards to meld into his own hand. We were still calling out 9 and 10 hand calls and stilling winning. One time, we were playing at a bowling club and the locals at the club were flabbergasted of how we were playing and still able to get our high calls.

Another game we used to play was monopoly, but with two sets of Monopoly boards, the Original UK version and a Australian version, where we joined the boards by overlapping the "Go" corner over each other, and then moving in a clockwise motion, you can travel in either country, so you can do a lap of UK, then when you get back to GO, you then decide to go to Australia or go back around the UK. However, we did modify some rules:

If you owned the all the colours of one country, the rent was doubled (as per normal rules), but if you owned all the colours of both boards, then the rent was quadrupled.

If you have a house(s) or hotels(s) in just one country, then the rent was just the same for that country. However owner owned the same colour on both countries, and you had a house(s) or hotels on them, you had to pay rent on the following scenarios: If you had a house(s) or a hotel on only in one country and not the other, then the rent was just the normal value for that house(s) only. But if the owner owned in both countries had house(s) or hotel, then you would have to pay either double the value of rent, if the corresponding country had the same number of house(s)/hotel or more built. If the property had house(s)/hotel more than the other corresponding country, then you would pay the higher value of either the property with that amount of houses, or double the amount if the corresponding country has the lower amount of house(s).   Eg. You landed on Mayfair which had 3 houses, but the owner also owned the corresponding area in the other country but only had 1 house, then it would be the higher value of either the double of rent for 1 house or that of Mayfair has for 3 houses.

However, you still had to build houses within the same country at a level pace as with the courrent rules, but if you owned the same colour in both countries, you only had to build level quantities in one country, not both.

You start of with the same amount of cash as you would normally have, and we the value was the same either UK pound or Aussie Dollar.

Edited by Pabo

On 12/4/2022 at 5:04 PM, Pabo said:

I was banned from playing this game by various brothers and sisters, as a sister was in a bit of a pickle and she couldn't get herself to meld what she had to get herself going. She asked me for some help, and I was able to rearrange what she had to create a meld which then led to the point of her winning the game. Thus they banned me from playing.

We will allow you to play with us. 🙂