JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Patterns of Evidence II: The Moses controversy

3 hours ago, Hope said:

Yes, it was on Netflix three years ago. I watched it, then invited friends over to watch- we still talk about it. It's really an excellent documentary! 

I am sure that you mean the one about the Exodus from Egypt, the first part, Patterns of Evidence: Exodus. That was the first part, this is the second part, was just released last year

The first part talked about Jacob, Joseph, Joseph's work for the Pharao, the vast expansion of the Hebrew people in Goshen, the genocide of the Hebrew boys and the 10 plagues, as well as talking about Jericho.

This part focusses on the historicity of Moses, it would seem.

Edited by ChocoBro

12 hours ago, Hope said:

Yes, it was on Netflix three years ago. I watched it, then invited friends over to watch- we still talk about it. It's really an excellent documentary! 

Wow! I didn't know that. Thank you for heads-up. I'll watch it this weekend.  :)

On 6/19/2020 at 12:35 PM, ChocoBro said:

I was surprised to see this is already out

Has anyone seen it? We just bought the DVD, at least to complete the collection, and hopefully it has some interesting theories.

My wife and I watched it about a week ago, part one is a little dry but part two is where things get interesting. It goes into evidence for Hebrew being the first alphabet as opposed to Phoenician, and it's a bit of a sidenote in the documentary but they examine a portion of the book of Numbers dated to 600 years before the dead sea scrolls with little to no change in wording!

2 hours ago, Big John said:

My wife and I watched it about a week ago, part one is a little dry but part two is where things get interesting. It goes into evidence for Hebrew being the first alphabet as opposed to Phoenician, and it's a bit of a sidenote in the documentary but they examine a portion of the book of Numbers dated to 600 years before the dead sea scrolls with little to no change in wording!

Thanks, I was skeptical about buying the DVD at first. But the few amazon ratings were so promising, so I went ahead and bought it. It's coming next week. Soooo much look forward to it now!

You're in for a treat that's for sure 😉 his previous doc on the exodus was also fantastic, and I'm not sure if you know already but part one of his exploration into the "red sea controversy" is also out. I wish the director was a witness, he clearly relies on the Bible for truth more then the word of so called experts.

Knowing that archaelogists have used a wrong fixed marker for dating civilizations like Sudan, Greece, Crete, Cyprus and Egypt  based on a sychronnism they thought they had right from the scriptures. They related the Exodus to a much later biblical campaign when in fact the timeline to date civilizations belong in a much earlier Egyptian timeline than they assumed. And that is when evidence starts appearing ... but they don't want to admit they are wrong - it means rewriting timelines of many civilizations ... they'd rather dismiss the scriptures as a fairy tale because there is no evidence to support their assumed timeline.

Faith supercedes human reasoning, because their foundations for their assumptions are not well built. Love how once you recognize the truth - everything falls into place.... the small questions that we have can easily be answered with the tiniest bit of research. 

What we have is so precious isn't it?

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

11 minutes ago, Big John said:

You're in for a treat that's for sure 😉 his previous doc on the exodus was also fantastic, and I'm not sure if you know already but part one of his exploration into the "red sea controversy" is also out. I wish the director was a witness, he clearly relies on the Bible for truth more then the word of so called experts.

The whole point of part 1 though - was to go into things without a certain perspective ...it was to garner the perspective of everyone involved then using patterns of evidence to disprove or prove ... going in as a witness would have slanted perspective which would mean people wouldn't take it on board and actually look at the facts - yes they are still out ... but a lot closer than most experts want to admit. 

He wanted to prove or disprove  his faith based on evidence ...I think he did that really well ... but obviously because the truth isn't involved there are certainly more tweaks that could be made. Love the facts about Jericho and the Wet Nurses, the graves of infants, the burial pyramid of Joseph ... all makes perfect sense. As witnesses though we can fill in the blanks with more accurate knowledge. 

We as a group are truly pioneers, not just in a spiritual sense, but in a very literal sense, we are forging a new civilization even now as pure worship is established, based on facts and not presumptions ... which means we can teach those resurrected not only the truth but accurate history that will be the cornerstones of our never ending future - Jehovah willing. Crazy amazing isn't it?

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

3 hours ago, Stormswift said:

The whole point of part 1 though - was to go into things without a certain perspective ...it was to garner the perspective of everyone involved then using patterns of evidence to disprove or prove ... going in as a witness would have slanted perspective which would mean people wouldn't take it on board and actually look at the facts - yes they are still out ... but a lot closer than most experts want to admit. 

He wanted to prove or disprove  his faith based on evidence ...I think he did that really well ... but obviously because the truth isn't involved there are certainly more tweaks that could be made. Love the facts about Jericho and the Wet Nurses, the graves of infants, the burial pyramid of Joseph ... all makes perfect sense. As witnesses though we can fill in the blanks with more accurate knowledge. 

We as a group are truly pioneers, not just in a spiritual sense, but in a very literal sense, we are forging a new civilization even now as pure worship is established, based on facts and not presumptions ... which means we can teach those resurrected not only the truth but accurate history that will be the cornerstones of our never ending future - Jehovah willing. Crazy amazing isn't it?

Hello sister :wave: Yes it's truly amazing to see Jehovah's organisation at work sorting truth from untruth in our teachings! I'm not sure I understand your point though, Mr. Mahoney is slanted towards some form of "Christian" so I doubt being a witness would change how atheists/agnostics regard it, only the churches would be far less willing to endorse him 😂

You're right that he did a fantastic job gathering evidence from both sides of the debate as though he was impartial. He made his investigation as fair and impartial as is reasonably possible and he found a staggering amount of evidence proving the account to be exactly as the bible describes it, as opposed to the meagre scraps of evidence that the professionals who don't believe in the exodus offered up. Props to him for conducting a fair scientific investigation despite his biases! Now if only those secular scientists would do the same... 🙄

Patterns of Evidence: red sea miracle part 1, anyone know where this may be streaming on? And I dont see it on ITunes either. According to their site part 1 is for sale but part 2 isn’t out yet as it was delayed due to COVID-19, it was suppose to be in theatres in May.

Edited by Lewis

9 hours ago, Lewis said:

Patterns of Evidence: red sea miracle part 1, anyone know where this may be streaming on? And I dont see it on ITunes either. According to their site part 1 is for sale but part 2 isn’t out yet as it was delayed due to COVID-19, it was suppose to be in theatres in May.

To my knowledge you can only stream it on the official site after purchasing the digital version

https://store.patternsofevidence.com/collections/all?page=3

Edited by Big John

Spelling error

• 4 weeks later...

Watched both the Exodus & Moses Controversy. Both very nicely done! I think he did a good job of demonstrating something that appears or has appeared in other ‘sciences’, and that is the intransigence of educated individuals when confronted with common sense answers. People purportedly experts in their fields who make a choice to ignore facts that are inconvenient to their pet outlook. 

But I also seem to remember that it took longer than it should have for blood letting as a medical treatment to completely stop.

Dr Jonas Salk had a huge mountain of opposition to climb to finally prove his vaccine.

Edited by SoCal4me2

Extra thought

• 4 weeks later...

On 6/20/2020 at 8:54 AM, Snow said:

Cant find it on Netflix anymore , where to look ?

Unfortunately it isn't available on netflix anymore. I did watch the first on the same week it desapeered :)

On 6/21/2020 at 7:33 PM, Good-O said:

It is still available on Amazon Prime - I just checked.  Hope to see it soon.  

Unfortunately it isn't on my location:(

On 7/14/2020 at 3:51 PM, SoCal4me2 said:

Watched both the Exodus & Moses Controversy. Both very nicely done! I think he did a good job of demonstrating something that appears or has appeared in other ‘sciences’, and that is the intransigence of educated individuals when confronted with common sense answers. People purportedly experts in their fields who make a choice to ignore facts that are inconvenient to their pet outlook. 

But I also seem to remember that it took longer than it should have for blood letting as a medical treatment to completely stop.

Dr Jonas Salk had a huge mountain of opposition to climb to finally prove his vaccine.

an you explain this a bit more? I'm confused 😕

19 hours ago, Bard said:

Not available in Europe...