JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Growing Consensus on How Covid is Contracted

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1395 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

How Exactly Do You Catch Covid-19? There Is a Growing Consensus

It’s not common to contract Covid-19 from a contaminated surface, scientists say. And fleeting encounters with people outdoors are unlikely to spread the coronavirus.

Instead, the major culprit is close-up, person-to-person interactions for extended periods. Crowded events, poorly ventilated areas and places where people are talking loudly—or singing, in one famous case—maximize the risk.

These emerging findings are helping businesses and governments devise reopening strategies to protect public health while getting economies going again. That includes tactics like installing plexiglass barriers, requiring people to wear masks in stores and other venues, using good ventilation systems and keeping windows open when possible.

Two recent large studies showed that wide-scale lockdowns—stay-at-home orders, bans on large gatherings and business closures—prevented millions of infections and deaths around the world. Now, with more knowledge in hand, cities and states can deploy targeted interventions to keep the virus from taking off again, scientists and public-health experts said.

That means better protections for nursing-home residents and multigenerational families living in crowded conditions, they said. It also means stressing physical distancing and masks, and reducing the number of gatherings in enclosed spaces.

That is good news and makes total sense. 
It will be interesting to see the fallout from the high numbers of positive cases coming among the young people. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

I do have to add that that article in the WSJ has some good information. I do have to advise that people have to also take into consideration that unclean things are still dirty. There is still the issue with fomites. Yes the possibly of contacting Covid this way is low if you wear a mask and gloves. It’s still poses a risk if your eating indoors or outside. With how cases are being to spike right now. I’m sure this is partly the reason why. 

4 hours ago, Shawnster said:

These emerging findings are helping businesses and governments devise reopening strategies to protect public health while getting economies going again. That includes tactics like installing plexiglass barriers, requiring people to wear masks in stores and other venues, using good ventilation systems and keeping windows open when possible.

Two recent large studies showed that wide-scale lockdowns—stay-at-home orders, bans on large gatherings and business closures—prevented millions of infections and deaths around the world. Now, with more knowledge in hand, cities and states can deploy targeted interventions to keep the virus from taking off again, scientists and public-health experts said.

This definitely helps, but they still didn’t address the issue with said fomites. Say someone (coughs or is choking or sneezes) into the air while eating at a restaurant you are not going to be wearing a mask while you eat. So there is a chance you can get it because your not protected. If this situation happens outside the virus could spread father due to wind and other factors. I guess the main issue is just wash your hands and please don’t touch your face. The surface can still be contaminated for up to 3 days. Depending on certain factors like UV radiation exposure or if the item is cleaned regularly. Those never really happened pre-COVID. I am curious to see how influenza spreads this year. With everyone wearing masks and eating at home.

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

I am curious to see how influenza spreads this year. With everyone wearing masks and eating at home.

Unless people change the flu will spread along with Covid. People are being forced to wear masks. They are not happy with any of the restrictions and a lot seem not to care. My one day a week of running errands shows me that 80-90 percent of the people around here won’t wear masks. I have a feeling we may be under a state order soon. However policing that is a while other ballgame. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

On the other hand, you can definitely catch it at a badly organised tennis tournament. 
Novak Djokovic 'extremely sorry' after testing positive to coronavirus https://www.sbs.com.au/news/novak-djokovic-extremely-sorry-after-testing-positive-to-coronavirus?cid=newsapp:socialshare:copylink

Heaps of touching on court, hugging, dancing shirtless at night club. Just like the good ol days. Twitter feed is just stunningly dumb and irresponsible. 

and now he’s sorry.....