JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Are You Self Employed in the U.S.A during this Pandemic?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1363 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I haven't looked to see if anyone else has a thread on this subject. If so, I apologize in advance. But I just heard this news today and thought I might not be the only one who did not know this.

The recent stimulus bill that gave "everyone" the $1200 stimulus payment and provided for extra unemployment money has a provision for self employed people as well.

If you are self employed and your business was affected economically by reduced work, reduced hours, etc--you could qualify for unemployment. It's called PUA (pandemic unemployment assistance). And even better? If you qualify for even $1 of unemployment, you also qualify for the boosted $600 per week payment.

And the best part? If you qualify, you qualify RETROACTIVELY back to the beginning of March. A potential $9,000 plus.

If any of you know anyone who might qualify, this could come in very handy considering the current economic situation.

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

Just apply and let them figure out if you qualify.

Usually your state will have a website with information on how to apply and FAQs about requirements. Here in California, everything can be done online. 

In our area there were certain brothers and sisters who help(ed) others to apply for unemployment benefits. I don't know if the program was set up by branch or our CO, but any publisher could contact their group overseer who would then give contact details for these "helpers" 👍🏻

I have been unable to find suitable employment ever since I was furloughed. So I have to try and find more freelancing gigs.

If I understood correctly, the PUA for self-employed is going away end of July when funds from the CARES act expire. IF the HEROES act eventually passes on senate level and is signed by the president, there MIGHT be more unemployment benefits coming along. This might not happen until end of July, though.

Every state has got their own website for applying for unemployment. But it is suggested to apply ASAP as the processing can take a long time. For me it took around four to five weeks to get the first batch of money after I submitted my application. I don't know if all states send you a debit card with the money on, but that's what is done here. Must be a great deal for Bank of America to send out all these debit card and people temporarily keeping their money on the accounts.

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

@Qapla, for the state of Florida, see https://covid19.floridajobs.org and http://floridajobs.org/cares-act on more information how to apply. Obviously, avoid filling a paper application if at all possible. Although not in Florida, I was able to complete the whole process online.

5 hours ago, Qapla said:

How do you find out if you qualify?

And I'm not sure what questions will be asked to verify specifically how the pandemic affected your work or income. So you may want to put some thought into the specifics of work hours, or compared income under normal conditions, etc.

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

1 hour ago, LoneWanderer said:

If I understood correctly, the PUA for self-employed is going away end of July when funds from the CARES act expire. IF the HEROES act eventually passes on senate level and is signed by the president, there MIGHT be more unemployment benefits coming along. This might not happen until end of July, though.

Just to clarify your statement, only the extra $600 per week is set to expire at the end of July. Hopefully, thus will be extended. However, the regular part of the PUA benefits expire 12/31/2020.

For example, if you are awarded $167 per week of PUA, you would still receive that amount per week until the end of the year.

Do you know how this applies if you have self-employment and w-2 employment?

I have been filing self employment every year since 1972. For many of those years self-employment was my sole income. Now my SE is part-time income.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

27 minutes ago, Qapla said:

I have been filing self employment every year since 1972. For many of those years self-employment was my sole income. Now my SE is part-time income.

Each state has its own requirements, but I believe that if you have W-2 income, you can collect regular unemployment which is usually higher than the PUA. And yes, regular unemployment will get the extra $600 per week until the end of July. Congress is battling to agree on what comes next.

My son had to stop working his W-2 job due to COVID-19. He was eligible for regular unemployment plus he gets the extra $600 per week until the end of July. If the extra $600 is not extended after July, his payments will be reduced to the regular unemployment. His unemployment claim can stay open up to a year, which is 4/2021.

I was self employed and ineligible for regular unemployment, but eligible for PUA. I collect a PUA amount plus the extra $600 and will continue to collect the extra $600 until the end of July, or if it is extended, I will continue to collect whatever extra amount on top of the regular PUA. My regular PUA lasts until 12/31/2020.

JUST APPLY ASAP! 

1 hour ago, zoebarry said:

Just to clarify your statement, only the extra $600 per week is set to expire at the end of July. Hopefully, thus will be extended. However, the regular part of the PUA benefits expire 12/31/2020.

For example, if you are awarded $167 per week of PUA, you would still receive that amount per week until the end of the year.

I hope you are correct, sister Grace. Your understanding does sound better than mine. I had understood that those with self-employment are eligible for unemployment only until the last week that ends within the month of July (so in many states technically until July 25 and not July 31 as originally stated).

I do know that with my income being from employment, my benefits of $159 a week would be extended 12 weeks further than what I would otherwise be eligible for. Easy to understand why I am freaking out about the extra $600 a week running out soon...

40 minutes ago, Qapla said:

http://floridajobs.org/cares-act states that if self-employed you should attach "invoice, billing, other documentation to provide proof of self-employment". By this time it's probably easier to get through and talk to a representative if you want to ask. When this whole hulabaloo started, it was impossible to even talk to anybody. My understanding is that you would qualify on the basis of having reduced hours or reduced pay. But the worst thing you can do is to have them evaluate the situation, I suppose.

Edit: The website says to call Reemployment Assistance Hotline for individuals at 1-833-352-7759.

Edit 2: Florida PUA FAQ found at http://floridajobs.org/docs/default-source/reemployment-assistance-center/cares-act/pua-guide-claimaing-weeks.pdf

Edited by LoneWanderer

• 3 weeks later...

And so, the extra $600 is running out tomorrow... Back to $159 (minus taxes) a week it is :taz::depressed: My field of travel and hospitality is not going recover any time soon. *Insert a scripture about anxiety* Just let this system of things end already...

15 hours ago, LoneWanderer said:

And so, the extra $600 is running out tomorrow... Back to $159 (minus taxes) a week it is :taz::depressed: My field of travel and hospitality is not going recover any time soon. *Insert a scripture about anxiety* Just let this system of things end already...

Sounds like they will extend it to some degree. The president may even sign an emergency extension until Congress can agree on something.  Even if he doesn't do that, you will be eligible for back pay once it does go into effect. They may reduce the amount. But something is better than nothing... Plus they're going to be giving out the direct payment again $1,200 per person 500 per child. But I have been doing insanely well during all of this! I have saved up more cash than I have ever in my life. And I only got two unemployment checks because I'm self-employed and have a little W2 job.  They won't let me have unemployment because of my self employment (except 2 weeks i had zero income) But my wife had barely started working in December as a 1099 and she is getting full unemployment benefits! She hardly made anything as she was just starting up a little side Hustle but that made her eligible for benefits!  My biz got PPP w me as sole employee, i just had to pay myself every week!  so that amount was a bit more than unemployment would have been anyway.... im sure they will extend it.

My only concern is all this free money will cause money to become worthless.... lets throw it in the streets!