JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Jw videos in 1080p?

I was watching youtube videos and i realised that the red HD logo is no longer next to 720p. So youtube is saying that 720p is no longer HD.

That makes me think why is the highest quality from jw.org is still 720p? Will we soon be able to download JW videos in 1080p?

Will they be streamed in 1080p? Because on JW.TV.ORG you could change the settings to stream all videos in 1080p or 720p.

This change in YouTube has nothing to with the definition of term in HD. Because of the Novel Coronavirus pandemic, YouTube is limiting the bandwidth to all videos temporarily. This helps their server to relax a bit. This change will later be reverted back.

By definition, 1280x720 is “HD.” On the other hand, 1920x1080 is what is known as “FHD.” (Full HD.) This is the term as it is used in the video industry. The term nor the definition hasn’t changed. YouTube doesn’t get to decide them.

About our theocratic videos—I don’t think they will ever be available in higher qualities, because I would think they are to be reserved specifically for those in the A/V department.

I thought that if you had a newer 4k TV that it will make a 720p file look better through some kind of processing internally. 

Also it safes bandwidth on Branch and those who work with them to transmit the files. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

On 7/12/2020 at 12:17 AM, Hinata said:

About our theocratic videos—I don’t think they will ever be available in higher qualities, because I would think they are to be reserved specifically for those in the A/V department.

Are the Programs and other videos recorded in 1080p or 720p?

2 minutes ago, Luigi62 said:

Are the Programs and other videos recorded in 1080p or 720p?

Probably they are recorded in higher resolutions as even the least expensive phones can record in FHD, let alone professional equipment

But higher resolutions are good for the final processing activities and editing. For visualization purposes, I think we don't need anything better than 720p. Several friends use 480p or even 360 and are fine with it

The best argument against it would be the bandwidth and file size on the client side

On 7/12/2020 at 12:24 AM, Jarred said:

Even the big screens at the regional are only 720P.

And we wouldn't notice any difference if they were 4K, unless we were point blank looking into it

Brother @jayrtom made a good argument. Even the smart phone we have on our disposal can record at 1080p with no problem. If so, we do not need to speculate what the brothers in the Audio/Visual department can do with their professional equipment.

I think similar can be said for our audio files. Distributing those raw audio files (such as wav or flac) would mean that additional, immense amount of storage capacity be needed.

Edited by Hinata

I download videos on my iPad and iPhone in 240p or 360p to save storage space.

I was talking to a brother in my congregation and all he wanted was that we could download videos from JW.ORG in 1080p.

Do you think that will ever happen in the next few years?

57 minutes ago, Luigi62 said:

Do you think that will ever happen in the next few years?

Personally, I can definitely see it happening. However, if it does, I would foresee that the previous videos that were already released will not be re-released for 1080p.

(That would be similar with the “subtitles updates” the videos have been getting in the past years. Previously, none of our videos had the subtitle functions. But over the years, some started to get a those few subtitles, and now, all of our videos have the subtitles feature by default. However, previous videos that were already released without the subtitles were not re-released with the subtitles again.)

9 hours ago, jwhess said:

We pay for server space and use.  How much would that increase the cost?  Wise use of dedicated funds....

That’s a good point. The bigger the GB a videos the more storage it takes up on the servers and in turn more servers are needed. At this time it may be a bit a waste of funds.

Maybe in a few years or so.