JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What staples should always be in our pantry that have a long shelf life?

You don't "need" a loaf pan. You can use any shape pan or bowl that is oven worthy,

You can also just shape you loaf by hand and place in on a sheet pan to bake.

If you want to force the sides to be taller, you can use aluminum foil to "make a pan" 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

22 hours ago, Omoyeme said:

Part 2: 

I have yet to make sour dough bread too; looks more complex than other breads I've baked but I'll give it a try soon.  I've learned my lesson back in March of this year and try to keep extra packets of yeast for future breadmaking.  (I made this one a couple of days ago in cast iron and top my slices with ghee).  But seriously, I need to get a loaf pan too...lol.

20200823_195656.jpg:chef:

WOW, THAT LOOKS LIKE MARTHA STEWART MADE IT!!! CAN YOU MAIL ME A SLICE?

I can tell you been baking since infancy  :chef:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2020 at 8:29 PM, Omoyeme said:

Part 2: 

I have yet to make sour dough bread too; looks more complex than other breads I've baked but I'll give it a try soon.  I've learned my lesson back in March of this year and try to keep extra packets of yeast for future breadmaking.  (I made this one a couple of days ago in cast iron and top my slices with ghee).  But seriously, I need to get a loaf pan too...lol.

20200823_195656.jpg

Looks yummy. Can you share recipe?

We bought potato flakes, dehydrated hash browns and oatmeal in bulk containers at Sams. Then, we weighed them into food saver bags and sealed them so they could last longer. It ended up being really cheap to do it this way. Also, in the states, Idahoan and Bear Creek have amazing soup mixes that take under fifteen minutes to fix.  

I have potato flakes too, but decided to use them for emergencies. With several people in our household, I try to keep potatoes in the home throughout the week. (Last Sunday I made a sweet potato casserole. I would show a photo, but alas it was eaten up quickly.)

Looks yummy. Can you share recipe?

Sis Connie, please see my PM.

Edited by Omoyeme

I recently purchased some emergency food bars with a 5 year shelf life and designed to withstand extreme temperature.i put them in my vehicle go bag..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

9 hours ago, Jeanie said:

Also, in the states, Idahoan and Bear Creek have amazing soup mixes that take under fifteen minutes to fix.  

Me too, they're really good. I get them at the Franz day old bread store. And they don't require meat if you don't have it.

Also have pasta's, beans, dehydrated milk, colby cheese, and butter. Split peas, the crunchy La Choy ramen noodle in a can, black beans, rice...lots of rice😳

20200911_131111_copy_907x1612.thumb.jpg.cc1f32debc2b71f68935feb9c90d9089.jpg

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

23 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

[...] rice...lots of rice.

I could not agree more and its definitely on my "reserves" list. :)

With the exception of Emperor penguin territory, rice is a staple food on every continent.  In my area, it's sold in 22 or 45 kg bags.  There are so many ways to prepare it and it's a regular part of lunch or dinner in our household.

Edited by Omoyeme

16 minutes ago, Omoyeme said:

I could not agree more and its definitely on my "reserves" list. :)

With the exception of Emperor penguin territory, rice is a staple food on every continent.  In my area, it's sold in 22 or 45 kg bags.  There are so many ways to prepare it and it's a regular part of lunch or dinner in our household.

I sure wish I could eat it. I had to give it up a couple years ago. The NS I will!!

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Dry pasta is always in our pantry :yes: 

These store well even when opened

Post, Grape Nuts Breakfast Cereal, The Original, 29 Oz - Walmart.com -  Walmart.com

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

A few of us are putting up little hot houses like the one in my garden below. We have seeds sprouting herbs and things like that. Simple, cheap and effective great for those who don't have much space. We can get smaller ones as well .. Andi and I have a mushroom kit - so we learning to do that. Lots of zinc in mushrooms which is good for healing.

Sunrice - an Australian Brand of rice - will not be able to supply rice soon - some say as soon as December. Other countries are keeping the rice to feed their own people. so we will have to start looking at other means soon - however, everyone else will be looking at those 'means' too. So please update no.5 gave us a wee heads up on things. We were able to get a little ...and be content with what we have and be prepared to share with those who are in genuine need and to simplify our lifestyles.

20200907_140641.jpg

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."