JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

s korea news

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1271 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

3 years but still in prison! - "The 63 will work, eat and sleep in prisons, but will be separated from other inmates and given several weeks of annual leave."

"While the Supreme Court ruling has been hailed as a victory by Jehovah's Witnesses, rights groups have argued that the hefty three-year work requirement is simply an alternative punishment".  

1 hour ago, Hinata said:

What may do you think be better?

They two things I can think is better, [1] they are not "prisoners" they are civilians and [2] no criminal record when it is over.

The downside is more time demanded and they don't get to go home (they have to live at the prison) but they do get time off I heard.

2 minutes ago, jwhess said:

The downside is more time demanded and they don't get to go home (they have to live at the prison) but they do get time off I heard.

That’s true. We hope the time will decrease as time goes by.

I heard Russia had the time decrease from seven years to three years. Thailand, similar.

4 hours ago, VisualizeUrParadise said:

My father's not pleased with the fact that they still have to work like before and that time went up to whopping 36 months... 

and I'm like, dad! that's not the point! They aren't prisoners anymore and they can get to go home occasionally and possess THE cell phone!

Well that sounds kinda better... Since they won't be treated as criminals ( Beating, food ration and stuff)... I'm Confident Jehovah has plans... He'll use this to our advantage somehow... It's not easy in the main time though...

While doubling the time sure seems punitive, and non-Witnesses will not understand why our brothers would rather do that than go to jail, at least the brothers don't get a criminal record, right? My sister-in-law who's crazy about all things Japanese was saying (is this true?) that previously the Korean brothers tried would have to travel to places like Japan before their prison sentence, as after having a record, they would not be admissible into the country.

Same would probably apply for a visa waiver to the US and anyone with a record (no matter if it's for conscientious objection) would need to apply for a tourist visa at an embassy.

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

9 hours ago, LoneWanderer said:

My sister-in-law who's crazy about all things Japanese was saying (is this true?) that previously the Korean brothers tried would have to travel to places like Japan before their prison sentence, as after having a record, they would not be admissible into the country.

Yes. Criminal record is a reason for rejection for travelling abroad for certain countries. Japan is one of them.

Ironically, awaiting for military enrollment is also a reason for rejection for travelling abroad, (because it is possible they may flee to another country and never come back) so it is either way you can't.

Edited by Hinata

• 4 weeks later...