JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Audio quality of sharing in Zoom

Hi all,

maybe someone could tell what determines Zoom audio quality while sharing video/audio? For example, when I or mostly everyone I've heard shares audio, it's going through a hard limiter (that could be solved turning down shared app's volume, for example, JW Library's) and it's very compressed and noise-reduced although that's not what it needs while sharing audio... But I've heard someone's shared audio with really good quality, not compressed and not limited audio.

Does it depend on audio card? How shared audio quality can be improved?

You want to click on the option, "Original Sound" and it will remove the hard filter.   The music will sound much better that way.  However, be aware in this mode that a lot more background noise that is picked up by your microphone will no longer be filtered.

More info here:  https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115003279466-Enabling-option-to-preserve-original-sound

6 hours ago, Jarred said:

You want to click on the option, "Original Sound" and it will remove the hard filter.   The music will sound much better that way.  However, be aware in this mode that a lot more background noise that is picked up by your microphone will no longer be filtered.

More info here:  https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115003279466-Enabling-option-to-preserve-original-sound

Yeah, I know that, but it's for your microphone. I'm talking about sharing videos with audio or just audio and how to improve that, not the quality of microphone.

By the way, didn't mentioned that shared audio from my laptop or any Android phone/tablet is just like it is originally, excellent quality. It gets worse when sharing audio from my PC. So, I think to get USB DAC/amplifier/sound card, which will improve my shared audio's quality... maybe?

When I have some time this week, I will test zoom and find a scenario where the music is sent and received with higher quality.

I generally host with a windows 10 laptop (2019 Dell XPS 15) and have a behringer UMC404HD audio interface. I will test windows, android, and apple clients.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I posted a video on Youtube (see below) where I made a recording from a Windows client computer (Dell Lattitude 5400 laptop) of Zoom. The host computer which is a Dell XPS 15 laptop was playing of a recording of unfailing love.  I started with the "Original Audio set to off."  I turned the "Original Audio" setting to on about 10 seconds in.  Please note it takes about 10-15 seconds for the audio to stabilize after turning on the original audio.  I cycled it on and off several times throughout the recording.

I also tested the audio playback via Zoom on my Samsung S20+, which only played in mono regardless of what was sent. However, the quality did improve a bit.

On an iPhone 10XR, it did play in stereo when I turned on the original audio setting.

I tested an Acatel Android tablet, which also only produced mono audio regardless of the audio setting.

On an iPad mini 4, it played in stereo when I enable the original audio setting.

I also had to turn these settings on the host computer:

image.png.79dcf49140a13fb0307a85f0e3b221ec.png

Does this only work with sound coming in the microphone or also with screen sharing a video or audio?
It does as far as stereo sound is concerned, as it will send the audio in mono normally.

Screen sharing audio definitely disables the filters that are normally in place that degrade the overall sound of music, but it's not as good of sound quality as the "enable original sound" option.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk