JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Attendant for Zoom

13 hours ago, Mclove said:

Thanks for sharing your problem. I too am like that. Sometimes I wish I was a turtle so that I can slink back into my shell like when I'm immobile or doing something necessary like eating. 🙂I think I prefer eating inside my shell too.

I had this phobia when zoom sessions were first introduced. At first I just switched on my video when I was commenting. My extroverted CBOE was always reminding us to show our faces. So I made that consession. The trouble is I have always used pinhole spec. when I'm reading or for long distance views. So this single sister (unusually kind person but very busy graduate teacher) decided to send me a screen shot of me with my pinhole spectacles. Of course she was too busy to ask about that particular eye wear or even talk to me, even pre-covid.

I went ballistic when I received the pic and complained bitterly to long suffering CBOE.  I felt the least Ms Insensitive should have done is  make some small talk with me first, like asking what kind of spec I was using rather than point blank show the unflattering pic) with the caption "This is what you look like on zoom. And THIS, after not even having said a single personal word to me all these while during this lockdown (and even be4). 

Sorry for this long tirade. But I thought it may explain why I didn't join any zoom sessions with the brothers here (international assemblies gala shows) because I don't turn on my video. 

I also have a bad habit of hijacking other people's thread to sneak in my own personal weaknesses because I can't stand being the center of attention. I know a few who may have been irritated by my lack of courtesy. My apologies. Weirdo here. 

So thanks Sister Sandra for being such a gem to highlight these inadequacies that some of us have.

I just wanted to address this bit- not only is video not required to view the Gala shows, it's often requested not to have it on during the showing. Sometimes hundreds of cameras on can negatively affect the quality of the video.

So please- don't deprive yourself of these wonderful presentations because you don't want to be seen!  Everyone is definitely looking at something else 😉🥰

23 hours ago, Qapla said:

. . . . . So, while admittance is not rigidly denied for someone who does not change their name it does not stop us from asking them what their name is and, depending on their response, either admit them or not ... we do use a waiting room. . . .

Just out of curiosity, how do you ask them their names?  Do you ask them over the open mic, or send them a private chat message?

We have one rather, how shall I put it, "outspoken" brother in the Congregation ... not appointed, baptized last year ... he will say things like "Hello Galaxy A - what is your name"

But, for those who's number/device is not recognized by the "Host/attendant/COBE" - direct message is used while they are still in the waiting room

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

There is nothing wrong with asking a question. The brothers may not be aware of it.

Oh, I have! I have no problem bringing things up to the brothers - they use the highlight function for student talks because of my suggestion. :D  All in good time, I suppose...