JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

This CPAC ‘golden calf’ Trump statue is spurring backlash of biblical proportions

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1178 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

What's up with the Golden Calf......Trump?

Look Ezekiel class you will see things more disgusting....

https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/this-cpac-golden-calf-trump-statue-is-spurring-backlash-of-biblical-proportions-11614360507

Comments like ‘the GOP worship a golden crook’ spread across Twitter faster than you can say ‘Moses’

This is pure Twitter gold.

The 2021 Conservative Political Action Conference, or CPAC, kicked off in Orlando, Fla., this week with someone wheeling in a golden statue of Donald Trump.

And the inevitable comparisons to the Old Testament story of the Israelites worshiping a false idol in the form of a golden calf spread across social media faster than you can say “Moses.”

5 hours ago, Shawnster said:

No worse than the other political party.  They all worship their leaders. Some are just more blatant. 

Exactly.

I mean, there is nothing inherently wrong with a statue, but when it becomes an object of worship, or something that is meant to represent something in heaven, does it become idolatry. But giving honour to people is not unchristian. It's when i'ts meant to represent a god, or when you start bowing and praying to it, does it then become an issue.

Though, that being said, I do know several people view their political leaders as their gods (on any political spectrum), though there is a pattern I've noticed with some hardcore Trump supporters that it's almost religious, fanatical or cult like, like he is a god with the answers to all things who can do no wrong. Trump is their "Christ". And this pattern is common in groups who are also part of extremist militant religious groups, because their life styles of idol worshiping, narrow mindedness and agressive condemning of anyone who doesn't share their beliefs, is merely translated over into politics... a man who claims to hold their same values (whether that is true or not), is easy bait for people like that to get wrapped up into the worship of a man.

Charismatic people tend to be good at starting up personalilty cults (either on purpose or unintended). The corrupt ones 'make use' of those cults for their own agendas. However, this has been seen on the other side the spectrum too. (Antifa, BLM riots, etc), and many of these people I figure (and have experienced) were once raised religiously, and due to their abuse have rebelled against religion (as well as Conservative traditions and values) because of their upbringings, but they maintain all of those toxic traits they grew up around, becoming the very thing they protest against, just with a different skin.

The US is a very polarised place, with extremism, lies and propaganda being flung both ways. No political party is to be trusted in this world, it's all corrupt no matter where one stands.

Edited by EccentricM

4 hours ago, EccentricM said:

though there is a pattern I've noticed with some hardcore Trump supporters that it's almost religious, fanatical or cult like, like he is a god with the answers to all things who can do no wrong. Trump is their "Christ".

Have you noticed this personally? First hand experience? Or is it based upon media reports? 

Because if it's based exclusively on media reports, then you need to keep in mind the bias of the article.  Side A only presents what makes them look good and Side B look bad. 

Plus, it's a matter of methodology in some cases.  Just like not all false religions outright worship idols openly. Some keep their idolatry hidden.  Methodology is also affected, politically, by who is "winning" or the majority and who is "losing " or the minority.  PT Barnum style showmanship and attention grabbing stunts to play to the audience. 

Edited by Shawnster

55 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Have you noticed this personally? First hand experience? Or is it based upon media reports? 

All of the above, I know some supporters personally who act like this, and independant sources, videos of various supporters up close and personal.

As I said, both sides paint a picture they want their supporters to see. Both sides are the same, they just have different goals, but they use similar methods and have the same level of tenacity.

11 hours ago, Shawnster said:

No worse than the other political party.  They all worship their leaders. Some are just more blatant. 

Exactly Shawnster. This became evident with JFK and especially Obama (here in the USA). "Donot put your trust in nobles"

9 minutes ago, Golfguy74 said:

Exactly Shawnster. This became evident with JFK and especially Obama (here in the USA). "Donot put your trust in nobles"

I always find it funny, in a sad sort of way, when I see pictures of people's homes and they have a photo of the President hanging on the wall like he's a family member or Jesus.