JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

NCAA coach throws random shot at Jehovah's witnesses

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1159 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/03/17/virginia-techs-mike-young-takes-random-shot-at-jehovahs-witnesses/amp/

Virginia Tech men’s basketball coach Mike Young apologized Tuesday for comments he made during his NCAA Tournament press conference about Jehovah’s Witnesses........ 

Edited by Shawnster

Virginia Tech men’s basketball coach Mike Young apologized Tuesday for comments he made during his NCAA Tournament press conference about Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Young, who is in his second season as the Hokies’ head coach, attempted to say they were taking their matchup with the Florida Gators seriously but ended up making the crass comment.

“We’re not playing the Jehovah’s Witness All-Star team here. We’re playing the Gators, man, we’re playing the Gators,” Young said, via WSLS-TV. “I do know who our next opponent would be if we were lucky enough to win, but there’s not a chance in hell you start thinking about anything, nothing—I will not clip about anything but [head coach Mike White’s] Gator team, and that’s the same for my team.

I don't even know what he was trying to say. Was he trying to say the team they were about to play are not wimps? The article says, "attempted to say they were taking their matchup with the Florida Gators seriously..." but is that a typo that should have said they were not taking the matchup seriously? 

“We’re not playing the Jehovah’s Witness All-Star team here. We’re playing the Gators, man, we’re playing the Gators,” Young said, via WSLS-TV. “I do know who our next opponent would be if we were lucky enough to win, but there’s not a chance in hell you start thinking about anything, nothing—I will not clip about anything but [head coach Mike White’s] Gator team, and that’s the same for my team.

:lol1::lol1::lol1:

23 minutes ago, boodles said:

I don't even know what he was trying to say. Was he trying to say the team they were about to play are not wimps?

Yes.  His point was they were going to play a tough team, not some church-league.  A lot of religions have a church-league or sports team comprised of members of their church.  

Edited by Shawnster

Well, I got a real laugh out of this ... of all the college teams for him to compare us to - he picks our local team :lol1: 

But then, I guess he couldn't have named some of the other "church league" since that would have included some very prestigious colleges

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

https://theundefeated.com/features/darren-collison-i-have-decided-to-retire-from-the-nba/

Basketball has been my life since I was a child. I could never imagine finding anything that brings me more joy than I get from playing the game. While I still love basketball, I know there is something more important, which is my family and my faith. I am one of the Jehovah’s Witnesses and my faith means everything to me. I receive so much joy from volunteering to help others and participate in a worldwide ministry. The joy I feel is unmatched.

On 3/17/2021 at 2:03 PM, Shawnster said:

Yes.  His point was they were going to play a tough team, not some church-league.  A lot of religions have a church-league or sports team comprised of members of their church.

Thanks, I really couldn't figure out what he was thinking. But that makes sense. :)