JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Saving JWPub Email

My email is like my filing cabinet. I don't delete anything except for obvious junk. I can always go back and find important things even from years ago. The 45 day limit in JWPub has been problematic. 

Until recently I had not found an easy way to save my jwpub email to my own computer. The Windows 10 Mail app would only save one at a time and it simply saved it as an .eml file which is better than nothing. It wasn't very efficient and it was a little messy.

I finally was able to get Mozilla Thunderbird to work. You have to use the Owl extension and set up the mail account within that extension and not the normal accounts section. Owl is also not free but its inexpensive and worth it at least for me. It is free for the first month so you can try it out. After setting it up I can simply drag and drop from the JWPub account to my local folders on my computer. Thus my JWPub email is truly archived and always available.

I just thought I would share this with others who might be looking for a solution. 

I thought when the message you wanted to save is sent to the archive folder (with one's jwpub account) that it would stay there and not be deleted.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

1 hour ago, AH173 said:

I thought when the message you wanted to save is sent to the archive folder (with one's jwpub account) that it would stay there and not be deleted.

I incorrectly thought that too. Mine in the Archive have been deleted after 45 days.

19 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I incorrectly thought that too. Mine in the Archive have been deleted after 45 days.

ok thanks for the information

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

27 minutes ago, Floyd said:

The LDC FAQ originally said there would be a 90 day retention period, although it looks like it's a lot shorter than that. It would be nice if the Branch extended the retention period to 180 days. Have you contacted the Branch?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

7 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Is it possible that our brothers designed it this way purposely, in order to aid with digital safety and security (ephemerality)?

Possibly but I think they would give us instructions about not saving if that were the case. 

17 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Is it possible that our brothers designed it this way purposely, in order to aid with digital safety and security (ephemerality)?

Absolutely. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I started this showing HOW it could be done not whether is SHOULD be done. Regardless of any opinions we might have the organization has not told us we can do it or not to do it. For now whether you save your email or not is a personal decision. I would like to keep this to the technical discussion if any have questions about that.

7 minutes ago, Floyd said:

For now whether you save your email or not is a personal decision.

Every good decision is based on a full understanding of the facts, I'm sure everyone will research the Branch policy before making a decision. I am currently looking for information that I have received about email security and I would appreciate anyone sharing the information they may have. Then we can each make a fully informed personal decision.

Copy, paste and forward to your personal email?  When I'm working temp/contract jobs, if there are any emails I think I'll want to keep, I immediately send to my own email. When that job ends, those emails are out of reach.That practice has proven incredibly valuable to me... Gmail is forever!   Copy/paste content to a Word file works, too.

2 minutes ago, Hope said:

I immediately send to my own email.

That function was disabled as part of the new security measures.

I took her comments as copying the text of the email and make a google or other document with the contents of what was copied and pasted.  That will work fine.

11 minutes ago, AH173 said:

I took her comments as copying the text of the email and make a google or other document with the contents of what was copied and pasted.  That will work fine.

Yes, my other work-around... also screenshots, even taking a picture of the screen with my camera. 😉🥸  

In my own, personal life, there is information I'm very careful about saving. I need for reference, reflection, proof... I keep everything! My not losing info from spiritual sources would be top o' list!  I keeps my receipts!  😉

Edited by Hope

i just saved all important communication with this announcement. I am glad this was discussed. 

1 minute ago, Hope said:

Yes, my other work-around... also screenshots, even taking a picture of the screen with my camera. 😉🥸  

In my own, personal life, there is information I'm very careful about saving. I need for reference, reflection, proof... I keep everything! My not losing info from spiritual sources would be top o' list!

The only information that I have found so far about the new security measures is about segregating the email system from potential viruses and stuff. The normal precautions about content still apply. So your cut and paste option sounds viable.

The general policy is that nothing confidential should be on outside email providers or cloud storage. I could quote the instructions but its for elders. That is why I said I was saving it to my own computer. I didn't know this would stir up a policy discussion since as an elder and secretary I can't find a policy that is specific to saving email to our own computers and the ability to do that has always existed using the Windows 10 Mail app. I just found an easier way to do the exact same thing that Windows 10 Mail has always had.

19 minutes ago, Floyd said:

The general policy is that nothing confidential should be on outside email providers or cloud storage. I could quote the instructions but its for elders. That is why I said I was saving it to my own computer. I didn't know this would stir up a policy discussion since as an elder and secretary I can't find a policy that is specific to saving email to our own computers and the ability to do that has always existed using the Windows 10 Mail app. I just found an easier way to do the exact same thing that Windows 10 Mail has always had.

I appreciate you starting the topic. 

33 minutes ago, Hope said:

Ohhh... 🤔

Several months ago LDC announced that the JWPUB email system would be completely segregated from all of the other Branch email systems and outside systems. All of the LDC volunteers were going to get a jwpub email address and LDC would remove personal email addresses from the system. I think that goal has been changed but there were several security measures put in place in the meantime.

On 5/29/2021 at 11:59 AM, Floyd said:

Appreciate you posting this. I am with you in the same shoes - i keep emails and go back to them for references when needed. I miss the time when JWPub email worked with MS Outlook...