JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Emphasized Bible

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1043 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

This Bible is also known as Rotherham’s Emphasised Bible.

J. B. Rotherham, in The Emphasised Bible, used the form Yahweh throughout the Hebrew Scriptures. However, later in his Studies in the Psalms he used the form “Jehovah.” He explained: “JEHOVAH—The employment of this English form of the Memorial name . . . in the present version of the Psalter does not arise from any misgiving as to the more correct pronunciation, as being Yahwéh; but solely from practical evidence personally selected of the desirability of keeping in touch with the public ear and eye in a matter of this kind, in which the principal thing is the easy recognition of the Divine name intended.”—(London, 1911), p. 29.

Jehovah https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=1101989238&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=30

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

I can't find a way to move it to my desktop.

Brother, what do you mean by “move it to my desktop”? Perhapse if you elaborate we can help you.

Do you mean making a shortcut on your desktop? (Just for this little Bible? That would be strange but, yeah.)

1 hour ago, Hinata said:

Brother, what do you mean by “move it to my desktop”? Perhapse if you elaborate we can help you.

Do you mean making a shortcut on your desktop? (Just for this little Bible? That would be strange but, yeah.)

I want to save the Bible as a PDF file (or epub or document).  I already have the original 1902 Emphasized Bible as a PDF so it is not critical.

1 minute ago, jwhess said:

I want to save the Bible as a PDF file (or epub or document).  I already have the original 1902 Emphasized Bible as a PDF so it is not critical.

It seems the way to “download” the bible as PDF, EPUB or JWPUB is unavailable at the moment. At any rate, the publication code assigned for this bible is “rh-E.” So it is possible the download may become possible at the future times. (Possibly only as JWPUB, similar to KJV or ASV.)

You can theoretically “print” manually each page of the bible as a PDF file. But that would be critically time consuming.

I like to check Exodus 3:14 to see how they are rendered.  Rotherham rendered it "I Will Become".  Tyndale's translation of the first five books translated it that way too.  Much better than the "I AM".  "I Will Become" is much more meaningful, more powerful, it is the meaning of the name Jehovah, and means Jehovah can become whatsoever he chooses.

I haven't got a hard-copy of this bible, I might get one.  I suspect it will come to JW Library at some point.  Another sword to the armoury. 

4 hours ago, jwhess said:

I want to save the Bible as a PDF file

There is an excellent version of a .pdf of the 1902 edition available on line? Or are you only wanting one from jw.org?

4 hours ago, Eejay said:

There is an excellent version of a .pdf of the 1902 edition available on line? Or are you only wanting one from jw.org?

I have a PDF of the 1902 version, thanks. I would have liked a copy from jw.org.  Maybe later.

3 hours ago, jwhess said:

I have a PDF of the 1902 version, thanks. I would have liked a copy from jw.org.  Maybe later.

I highly doubt the brothers would provide a pdf of this minor bible, given they did not provide one for the kjv, asv, not even the byington and our own Kingdom Interlinear. (Which would have been extremely useful.)

Edited by Hinata

I highly doubt the brothers would provide a pdf of this minor bible, given they did not provide one for the kjv, asv, not even the byington and our own Kingdom Interlinear. (Which would have been extremely useful.)

A jwpub file is coming. I am sure that is more than enough for research purposes. If you wish to compare various prints, you need to find it in a library. Most don’t really need this feature.

The Bible is not minor. It has been of great importance historically. And even these days, many brothers refer to these important Bibles when preparing theocratic assignments.

I would love for various Bible editions to be available in more languages. Like, Swedish Bible students might find more Swedish editions useful, such as Gustav Vasas Bibel (1541), which we hold an important edition of in our theocratic museum. I’d also love both the 1917 and 2000 editions, as well as Helge Åkesons translation (1911), which was an important study aid before the New World translation was released.

11749508_fullsize.jpg
Gustav Vasas Bibel (1541)
Akeson_psalm83_85.jpgHelge Åkesons översättning (1911; note the use of Jehovah’s name)

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

5 hours ago, Hinata said:

I already have the PDF copies of the Kingdom Interlinear (both the 1969 Purple and the 1985 Blue versions). I have all of the ASV, KJV and Bebington's versions, as well.  So i wa hoping to get a JW version of the Rotherham's Bible.  No big deal, just put it on a wish list.

I found and downloaded a PDF of this bible.  I noticed that the version on jw.org does not have the footnotes or the introductory sections.  Shame, because one of the sections has a explanation of the use of God's name.  Is that the difference between the 1897 and the 1902 editions?

I got it from here: https://archive.org/details/TheEmphasisedBibleBlackEdition/

There is a full scanned version of an original 1902 on there as well, but it is quite large and I found it not so easy to read.

As this is freely available, I take it that this bible is in the public domain now, so the organization is free to publish it on the site.

4 hours ago, On the huh said:

I found and downloaded a PDF of this bible.  I noticed that the version on jw.org does not have the footnotes or the introductory sections.  Shame, because one of the sections has a explanation of the use of God's name.  Is that the difference between the 1897 and the 1902 editions?

I got it from here: https://archive.org/details/TheEmphasisedBibleBlackEdition/

There is a full scanned version of an original 1902 on there as well, but it is quite large and I found it not so easy to read.

As this is freely available, I take it that this bible is in the public domain now, so the organization is free to publish it on the site.

My 1902 edition has a Preface, an Introduction, four Explanatory chapters (including the Divine name) and a set of tables.  The divine name is discussed briefly in chapter 2 and thoroughly in chapter 4 explanatory notes.

em1.PNG

em2.PNG

Well friends, Its a JWPUB FILE NOW!!!

image.thumb.png.7ed9e4af1dc0f367272a6087971f329e.png

On 7/2/2021 at 4:33 PM, On the huh said:

The Emphasized Bible is now on jw.org and WOL.  Not yet on JW Library.

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&pub=rh&srcid=share

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

8 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Yes. It is a Bible that was historically important to us. See this thread: https://jwtalk.net/topic/49336-the-emphasized-bible/

The topics were merged...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

My 1902 edition has a Preface, an Introduction, four Explanatory chapters (including the Divine name) and a set of tables.  The divine name is discussed briefly in chapter 2 and thoroughly in chapter 4 explanatory notes.

em1.PNG.0e5bdc99ee97523e1192eafd90c6f85e.PNG
em2.PNG.ab23690b56de6225c8da1ed328f196c0.PNG

The thing regarding these extra-biblical articles, no matter how good they are, if we publish them, they come from the Slave, and the Slave is very peculiar about what spiritual food they serve. So the Bible text will do for now.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 hours ago, Thesauron said:

The thing regarding these extra-biblical articles, no matter how good they are, if we publish them, they come from the Slave, and the Slave is very peculiar about what spiritual food they serve. So the Bible text will do for now.

Back when we were doing printing (on paper) we put all the notes, prefaces and introductions in the Byington, King James and American Standard Bilbies when we printed them.  We currently have almost a dozen quotes from Rotherham's Bible in our various notes, references and citations in the Index and NWT.

Back when we were doing printing (on paper) we put all the notes, prefaces and introductions in the Byington, King James and American Standard Bilbies when we printed them.  We currently have almost a dozen quotes from Rotherham's Bible in our various notes, references and citations in the Index and NWT.

Yes, such quotes that we publish today are carefully selected. We usually do not print these Bibles today, I believe.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

The personal study notes that I made for the Study Bible are showing up in the Emphasized Bible. I didn't know it would do that.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

The personal study notes that I made for the Study Bible are showing up in the Emphasized Bible. I didn't know it would do that.

Could you show a screenshot of it?

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible