JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What have you learned about men/women since you got married?

We have been married a long time and just love to do things together.

My view of my wife and sisters in the congregation has become way more

understanding and respectful than when I was younger.

My wife and I have differences but we dismiss them and don't let them alter our

love for one another. We love life. We have a handicapped son (Down syndrome)

and he has taught us more about love of life than most other influences.

The wife and I often break out dancing together if the right song comes on the stereo.

What have you learned?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have learned much about Loooong Suffering. For a loooong time now my wife has suffered with me at her side. She is still trying to find that serious bone in me but there is none to be found. We laugh a lot, cry to gether and keep Jehovah as the third person in our marriage. Love covers a multitude of sins.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

Good for you. I have learned, after 4 marriages, that a person has to be ve-e-e-e-e-ery careful before committing to someone. My first 3 marriages were entered when I was not in the Truth, so the very first thing I learned after those sad events was to always have Jehovah in the marriage with you. So then I married a "brother." But I didn't take my time. I jumped into it because I believed he was just a peach....very spiritually strong and a caring person. I ignored many signs that things might not be what they seemed. It is imperative that people get ot know the other person well. If I had waited even 6 months, I would not have married him. Pray about it, then look for Jehovah's answers, and they might be subtle nudges. I missed so many "nudges" that it's ridiculous. (He dropped out of sight and out of the Truth two months after I left him for physical abuse.)

I have learned that Men are from Mars, and Women are from somewhere else.

IF he learns to pilot his ship carefully, with love, and IF she learns that he is the pilot of the ship, then success is inevitable. It took Grumpy quite a while to learn the best way to control his ship. It took me even longer to learn to let him guide our ship to its destination. We came from two entirely different backgrounds and had almost nothing in common except, love of the Truth.

It’s not always easy, but so far we have reached 51 years, still plugging along, still trying to reach our goal of serving Jehovah forever in Paradise.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Pam,

Your post should be required reading for young sisters.

We grow so soon old and so late smart.

A decision to marry is not like picking out a pair of new shoes or ?

Thank you for your candid account.

I can say with confidence that the truth is what has brought stability to our marriage.

We are fortunate that we found the truth and got baptized in the fourth year of our marriage.

That was 51 years ago and we are still going strong.

Bruce, I am happy for you. I too thought that we both had love for Jehovah in common, and we could manage any problem with Him in our three-fold cord. He was a false brother, though, and never had any love for Jehovah. Everything he said and did was a lie, as I could see after looking back. I don't understand how others of Jehovah's people end up in strong marriages, and I keep getting blind-sided. I beg Him to help me make good decisions, and I wind up making big mistakes anyway. I still have much to learn. I do hope that the young sisters just TAKE THEIR TIME, as I said before. If he loves you, he'll wait. I guess it is testimony to my low self-worth that I didn't wait; was I afraid he wouldn't wait? Maybe so. Now I know that if he refused to wait, I would know that he wasn't genuine to begin with.:nope:

I have learned: "Happy Wife, Happy Life"!

What have you learned?

In a recent discussion at a meeting one sister mentioned something her husband says, "Have you ever seen a happy man with an unhappy wife?"

In other words, "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!":P

Three proverbs from Greece

1. If the marriage was good then marry and God.

2. Marriage is like a cage from the outside wanting to get in and those who are inside want to get out.

3. Marriage is like a snake bag and put in hand and hope to catch eel.

Now seriously.

Behind every successful man is a smart woman

I admire my wife for two reasons: First, I am very impulsive and a little crazy. My wife balances. She is so reasonable. Second she is loyal. While many nights I deal with brothers problems, never complained, never, never asked where you go and what happen, what you said. And whenever I miss or prepare meeting parts, she take the initiative to read with children and pray together. Every weekend is in field ministry. Βefore our daughters were born had full-time job (hairdresser) she was regular pioneers.

There exists the one speaking thoughtlessly as with the stabs of a sword, but the tongue of the wise ones is a healing. Because, pleasant sayings are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and a healing to the bones.(Proverbs 12:18,16:24)

I have learned that opposites attract ABSOLUTELY!

I have learned that no woman wants to be intimate with a man who is not kind to his wife.

I have learned that love does cover a multitude of sins.

I have learned that even if your mate is an idiot, that is is OK to love them in spite of that.

I have learned that it's the little kindnesses that add up at the end of the day.

I have learned never to expect jewelry from my husband, if I want it I have to buy it myself.

I have learned it is better to want something you don't have than to have something you don't want.

I have learned that I have really been loved by my husband.

I have learned that there is nothing better than that look that passes between mates, unspoken, can be very loud in a quiet room.

I have learned that I know all the foods my hubby loves or hates but he has no clue what I like or dislike.

I have learned that I must learn a lot more than 42 years of living with my husband to really understand the workings of his mind fully!

I have learned that it is the woman's job to let her husband think he's in charge, when she's really in charge!!!

My wife always tells me, "I've been through the worse, now let's see the best!"

EDIT: Oh and this too....

What is the difference between in-laws and out-laws???

Out-laws are wanted!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

I have learnt that Men are hard to figure out. You can have a good laugh, but are very demanding If things aren't done look out

and If you want to have fun> You must make sure he has had his fun first. and if you need a cuddle then you are asked why?

Must we explain. I have learnt men have cool conversations. sport, sport. sport. :drink:

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

• 3 weeks later...

Bruce, I am happy for you. I too thought that we both had love for Jehovah in common, and we could manage any problem with Him in our three-fold cord. He was a false brother, though, and never had any love for Jehovah. Everything he said and did was a lie, as I could see after looking back. I don't understand how others of Jehovah's people end up in strong marriages, and I keep getting blind-sided. I beg Him to help me make good decisions, and I wind up making big mistakes anyway. I still have much to learn. I do hope that the young sisters just TAKE THEIR TIME, as I said before. If he loves you, he'll wait. I guess it is testimony to my low self-worth that I didn't wait; was I afraid he wouldn't wait? Maybe so. Now I know that if he refused to wait, I would know that he wasn't genuine to begin with.:nope:

thats good to know pam for young sisters like me,to take my time,now i just hope they would heed it,because like u said if he loves u he will wait too many sisters want to get married,not realibecosezing hes not strong in the truth untill its too late and the former brother knows it because THEY KNOW its not many of them in jehovahs org....

I am single, and i have been praying hard to Jehovah for a partner so that we can go to conventions, and share in the field ministry.

So i thought if i get a pet, and show Jehovah that i am a responsible person with a pet, then he would bless me with a wife.

I have a pet hamster called nibbles, and so far i have learned.

1. Never suck your wife up the hoover when doing house work.

2. Always give your wife plenty of vegetables and water.

3. Take your wife out at least once a month to give her fresh air.

4. Make sure your wife has plenty of exercise. ( i have a huge wheel on the wall of the bedroom for her)

5. Give your wife clean straw once a week, and keep her mind occupied by giving her toys to play with.

Thanks to my Hamster, i will make an excellent husband.

I am single, and i have been praying hard to Jehovah for a partner so that we can go to conventions, and share in the field ministry.

So i thought if i get a pet, and show Jehovah that i am a responsible person with a pet, then he would bless me with a wife.

4. Make sure your wife has plenty of exercise. ( i have a huge wheel on the wall of the bedroom for her)

5. Give your wife clean straw once a week, and keep her mind occupied by giving her toys to play with.

http://www.thetenerifeforum.com/images/smilies/clapping.gif I heard the methadone as a replacement for heroin. Today I also learned the surrogate for wife.

There exists the one speaking thoughtlessly as with the stabs of a sword, but the tongue of the wise ones is a healing. Because, pleasant sayings are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and a healing to the bones.(Proverbs 12:18,16:24)

:lol1::lol1:

http://www.thetenerifeforum.com/images/smilies/clapping.gif I heard the methadone as a replacement for heroin. Today I also learned the surrogate for wife.

....oh, yes, and maybe your wife will live longer than 3 years :lol1:

Haha Ron i actually laughed out loud. Your hamster sounds like a very lucky lady!!....... So what have i learned in the almost 2 years ive been married? Ill get back to you on that one.....:pray::innocent: Great thread btw!!
And Ron, you have one of the most important qualities. A sense of humor. That's very good. And you can vacuum, that's important too. I don't have a hamster gif so the dog will have to do.

106658=5832-11.gif

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.