JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

System Collapse Global Supply

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 886 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

This story came from CNN News/September 30, 2021

Brings to mind this scripture found in Revelation chapter 6: verses 5 - 7/what is coming around the a very near corner.

When he opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say: “Come!” And I saw, and look! a black horse, and the one seated on it had a pair of scales in his hand. I heard what sounded like a voice in the midst of the four living creatures say: “A quart* of wheat for a de·narʹi·us and three quarts of barley for a de·narʹi·us; and do not harm the olive oil and the wine.”

When he opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature say: “Come!”  And I saw, and look! a pale horse, and the one seated on it had the name Death. And the Grave was closely following him. And authority was given them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with a long sword and with food shortage and with deadly plague and by the wild beasts of the earth.

I thought of this because the workers on the front line of supply chains/logistics/transportation that are underpaid and stressed to the limit:
James 5:4 Look! The wages you have withheld from the workers who harvested your fields keep crying out, and the cries for help of the reapers have reached the ears of Jehovah of armies.

Let’s see how badly the holiday season will be effected/affected with supply chain issues.

Agape

21 hours ago, Tbs77 said:

I thought of this because the workers on the front line of supply chains/logistics/transportation that are underpaid and stressed to the limit:
James 5:4 Look! The wages you have withheld from the workers who harvested your fields keep crying out, and the cries for help of the reapers have reached the ears of Jehovah of armies.

Let’s see how badly the holiday season will be effected/affected with supply chain issues.

Agape

Here's a story on Daily Mail / Oct 1st 2021 on the delay for the upcoming Holidays.  This was the title of the story.

Cargo ships anchored off NY and LA face 4-WEEK wait to berth and trains in Chicago are backed up 25 miles with global supply chain on the brink of collapse: Americans face shortages of cars, shoes and exercise gear as holiday season looms

This supply chain stuff is very serious. It could really get bad before all is said and done. 

Look at what is already here and many seafarers are ready to walk. Don't blame them. They are getting stuck at sea for months at a time, not able to get off anywhere because of covid. They take vacation and instead of vacationing they spend it quarantined. Then there's the issue of these vaccines.. each country with their own rules. I read that some of these people have been vaccinated multiple times just for the sake of some country recognizing that they are a actually vaccinated. 

We won't even talk about how they line up at the ports with not enough workers to unload the ships and not enough truckers to transport the goods. 

What a mess!

• 2 weeks later...

Was reading how the knock-on effects are really wobbling the global supply chain. One that stands out for me was:

CHIPAGEDDON

Microchip shortage - it will affect everything from cars, to gadgets, to well everything!

And it’s more than just Covid affecting the delays due to transport and factory workers getting sick, lockdowns and social distancing.  It’s also caused by climate change (drought in Taiwan) and China-US tensions (China holding back some chips when Trump restricted 2-way trade).

Last year's demand for consumer electronics surged during lockdown as people were working and learning from home. Huge demand plus factories shutting down has created the perfect storm. So we all globally are facing longer wait times of months and months for our chip driven commodities. We won’t have to worry about xmas shoppping like the world will face, but just thinking of everything that runs using chip technology, we are all in for a bumpy ride.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-07/what-does-chipageddon-have-to-do-with-climate-change/13327926

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-15/global-supply-chains-are-broken-and-online-orders-are-delayed/100536584

We've built a system so elegant that none of us know how it works. But I do know that the entire economic system of the western world is designed to make sure everything gets where it needs to be just in time. It lowers costs if you have little surplus to deal with. Every US Supermarket has less then two weeks worth of food on the shelves at any given time, and that's not even counting meat, milk, and things that spoil fast.

Something I've learned from Covid is that panic buying can be set off by anything. We had pensioners going store to store in taxis looking for a place they could buy a roll of toilet paper.

I heard that the microchips, are old and that the company's overseas that make them are making new one's for iPhone, Androids, apple, tablets, new vehicles with new computers in them, not the old computer chips that the American car companies are waiting for.  The oversea places realized that they could make newer chips and sell them for a higher profit then making these old chips to be sent to USA and other countries where they are needed.  Car manufacturing companies, in USA, should update their vehicles using the new technology that the overseas chip makers  are doing now. The guy said that all those cars and trucks piled up in fields waiting for these chips to arrive.  The company's are not willing to make old chips.  And the prices have jumped through the roof. 

Visualizing California's stunning shipping gridlock

When animated in a time-lapse video, dozens of vessels can be seen maneuvering in holding patterns 10 to 20 miles offshore. Another group of ships is moored closer to shore. Container ships move inland to the port only occasionally.

During same period two years ago — the second full week in October 2019, before the Covid-19 pandemic — data shows ships easily moving into and out of the ports without delay.

On 10/14/2021 at 10:18 PM, Thomas Walker said:

Something I've learned from Covid is that panic buying can be set off by anything. We had pensioners going store to store in taxis looking for a place they could buy a roll of toilet paper.

I heard this practical defense against hoarders.  We got together with JW family for the first time since lockdown. During out conversation the brother stated he got a good deal on toilet paper at a nearby box store. There was no limit on the quantity so he bought 6 packs of 36 rolls each. :crying:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

On 10/15/2021 at 1:18 AM, Thomas Walker said:

Something I've learned from Covid is that panic buying can be set off by anything

Yes, a few years back Jim Cantore, a well known meteorologist on the Weather Channel, said that if he is somewhere other than his home area where people are used to seeing him, just his shopping in a store has set off buying frenzies of bottled water and toilet paper - people jump to the conclusion that, if Jim Cantore is in town, there must be some catastrophic weather issue in their area and they empty the shelves.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~