JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I wish Microsoft would quit fixing things that aren't broke ...

I know ... I'm behind the times. I do not use "web mail", I still use POP mail. I used Outlook for some time and now use Windows Live Mail. What gets me is they keep "fixing" it when it isn't broken.

What do I mean?

I leave Live Mail up all the time. It checks for new messages every 15 minutes. Normally, the Live Mail icon in the taskbar looks like this image.png.c99adc6123e66cb029f6639087e8972c.png (see the icon inside the orange circle). When I get new email, it changes to this image.png.c2ad4ddc3a23d9bdd7879676422827c4.png As you can see, there is a little envelope to indicate "I have mail"

When I go to Windows Live I can see where the new emails are filtered to (yes, I have several filters set). One of those filters puts the spam and junk mail in the "Junk Email" folder. I usually click on the junk email folder to see what is in there (sometimes it diverts email that is not junk). If I only find junk email (which is most of the time) I can right click on the folder and get this menu

image.png.22b43dc563cf6a9399c1e193ec7f659c.png    As you can see, there is an option to empty the folder without ever having to open any of those email.

When I empty the folder, the icon in the task bar returns to image.png.c99adc6123e66cb029f6639087e8972c.png  which is very useful.

However, sometimes I do not get any "junk mail" that was put in this folder. I may get some email in my "inbox" that I do not care to read and was not identified as junk. I usually just delete these without opening them. When I delete them, the icon in the taskbar should return to image.png.c99adc6123e66cb029f6639087e8972c.png  which it does most of the time.

Only thing is, sometimes when Microsoft updates Windows and the related apps, they "fix" this and deleting unread email no longer changes the icon in the taskbar if no messages were open and no "junk email" folders were emptied. The icon in the taskbar still looks like image.png.c2ad4ddc3a23d9bdd7879676422827c4.png even though there is not any new email  :wall: 

Seems, after a while, when another update is installed, the icon in the taskbar will return to the way it is supposed to work. 

Why they feel they have to "fix" the icon when it wasn't broken in the first place I really don't understand  :confused: I mean, someone must change it because it gets changed back. This has happened more than once    :eek:   and it just happened in the latest update  :tsk: 

I do wish when they have it working the way it is supposed to work they would leave it alone and quit fixing it  :deadhorse:  

X(  :censored:    OK - I'm done with this rant for now  :zipmouth:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 3 weeks later...

Where I Go Music Video GIF by OneRepublic

They Fixed It !

Pop Tv Jewish GIF by Nightcap

At least they partially fixed it

Now, if you delete ALL the new emails in ALL in-boxes (yes, I have more than one account) the icon will change to 

image.png.c99adc6123e66cb029f6639087e8972c.png

like it used to ... however, if I only clear one in-box, it still shows

image.png.c2ad4ddc3a23d9bdd7879676422827c4.png

Cristiano Ronaldo No GIF by DAZNSocial Media Manager Omg GIF by The SMM HubNo Way Ugh GIF by NFL

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

53 minutes ago, jwhess said:

I don't recall Microsoft having these problems with DOS 3.2...🙂

:wheelchair:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

8 minutes ago, Old said:

:wheelchair:

I remember my old 286 computer...those were the days. 🤣

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

22 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I remember my old 286 computer...those were the days. 🤣

This is not the "computer" forum, but

your Compaq comment reminded me of my early days selling and making computers  in 1984.  I recall this being model 101709'  

An original Fall 1982 announcement showed a price of $3995. This is a review showing a significant price drop.

The Compaq "portable" needed to be plugged into the wall socket for 120V power.  It had a handle on top and we usually called it "the Suitcase".

Release dateMarch 1983; 38 years ago

DisplayBuilt-in 9" green screen monitor

CPUIntel 8088, 4.77 MHz

Memory128 KiBs (expandable to 640 KiB)

Backward compatibilityIBM PC compatible

GraphicsUnique CGA-compatible video card

Introductory priceUS$2,995

cp3.JPG

cp2.JPG

cp1.JPG

Edited by jwhess