JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Black Friday

So, another Black Friday, everyone spend, spend, spend on things you really don't need or maybe you do, there's plenty of "deals" to be had, oh the temptation to join in, meanwhile the DOW plunges to -1000 as of 11 pm central! What crazy times we live in, so glad to know the truth.

The Dow plunged more than 1,000 points, or 2.8%, falling below 34,800 in morning trade

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dow-jones-drops-covid-19-variant-stock-market/

drop stock GIF

Why you might be happier if you don't buy anything in Cyber Week

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/26/health/cyber-week-happiness-wellness/index.html

There may be financial circumstances that drive a person's need to make purchases on big sale days, but if you experience the financial freedom that allows you to spend, you might even be happier if you don't buy anything on Black Friday. Here are some realities to consider:

(continue at url )  🤑

I bought high speed (to record 4K video) 128gb sd  card with discount of 60% 

Grabbed it on the spot, and thinking about getting another one. 
Not all sales are “bad” 

DJI mini 2 drone is being offered at the lowest price I ever seen …

Black Friday deals are great when you plan to buy something anyway, so why paying higher price for example in “February” while you can make substantial savings on Black Friday? 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

That is what I do. I keep in mind some of the purchases I will be making that may not have a "time requirement" on when I buy them and save for them during the prices drops on Black Friday sales.  I avoid the impulse buying during Black Friday the same as I do during normal shopping.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

18 minutes ago, Stormie said:

I wish it was the 2, I only see the original one at the sale price. Haven't seen the 2 discounted at all. :(

I am Down Under 

www.jbhifi.com.au/products/dji-mini-2-4k-drone-fly-more-combo?queryID=58dcf3409f8cfa5bc7dc9c0c5c49a511&objectID=490930

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I bought high speed (to record 4K video) 128gb sd  card with discount of 60% 
Grabbed it on the spot, and thinking about getting another one. 
Not all sales are “bad” 

DJI mini 2 drone is being offered at the lowest price I ever seen …

Black Friday deals are great when you plan to buy something anyway, so why paying higher price for example in “February” while you can make substantial savings on Black Friday? 

Here, about 1 in 4 “offers” is a scam, where you get tricked into thinking the discount is, say, 60%, but price comparison websites beg to differ.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

Here, about 1 in 4 “offers” is a scam, where you get tricked into thinking the discount is, say, 60%, but price comparison websites beg to differ.

Compare: 

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/sandisk-extreme-pro-64gb-class-10-sdxc-uhs-i-memory-card?queryID=6f92c7193b8d6c09b889216df9b6f694&objectID=363015

https://www.amazon.com.au/SanDisk-SDSDXXY-128G-GN4IN-Personal-Computer/dp/B07H9DVLBB/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=sd%2Bcard&qid=1637993204&sr=8-5&th=1

$39 for 64GB 

$44 for double size 128GB (I think 64GB goes for $24)

no scam, healthy saving yes. 

Also DJI mini 2 never been under $949 for the whole year (I was watching prices) on Black Friday went under $900 barrier.

I am not defending rotten commercial system but when person is prudent and looks for specific items, often BF offers good sales. 

Compare: 
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/sandisk-extreme-pro-64gb-class-10-sdxc-uhs-i-memory-card?queryID=6f92c7193b8d6c09b889216df9b6f694&objectID=363015

https://www.amazon.com.au/SanDisk-SDSDXXY-128G-GN4IN-Personal-Computer/dp/B07H9DVLBB/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=sd%2Bcard&qid=1637993204&sr=8-5&th=1

$39 for 64GB 
$44 for double size 128GB (I think 64GB goes for $24)
no scam, healthy saving yes. 

Also DJI mini 2 never been under $949 for the whole year (I was watching prices) on Black Friday went under $900 barrier.
I am not defending rotten commercial system but when person is prudent and looks for specific items, often BF offers good sales. 

If you are lucky, you might stumble upon something good on black Friday, just as any other day. On the other hand, I don’t believe in luck, just knowledge, information, and preparation. The best sites compare prices over time. You will see that Black Friday does not really stand out.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

24 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

If you are lucky, you might stumble upon something good on black Friday, just as any other day. On the other hand, I don’t believe in luck, just knowledge, information, and preparation. The best sites compare prices over time. You will see that Black Friday does not really stand out.

All I know that I am paying half price for my SD cards which can be expensive at normal times. I am happy with the deal to the point that I am ordering another 128gb card, saving is simply amazing. I am also home cinema collector and Black Friday sale gives me good saving at local JB Hi store (buy two 4K discs for $A40 and apply discount of 30%, again very good deal, stocking up on some movies) 

5 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Since I know the regular price of the items I am looking for - I am not "stumbling" on anything ... I know if the BF sale price is a saving or not. I only buy ones that are actual savings and do not impulse buy just because something is "on sale".

Somehow, when a tool or other high-ticket item is priced $100's less during BF than it is any other time of the year I do not look at that as being a "scam". Around here, there are many BF prices that "stand out" since it is the only time of the entire year you will see prices discounted to this extent.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Since I know the regular price of the items I am looking for - I am not "stumbling" on anything ... I know if the BF sale price is a saving or not. I only buy ones that are actual savings and do not impulse buy just because something is "on sale".

Somehow, when a tool or other high-ticket item is priced $100's less during BF than it is any other time of the year I do not look at that as being a "scam". Around here, there are many BF prices that "stand out" since it is the only time of the entire year you will see prices discounted to this extent.

I did say that 1 out of 4 is a scam, that means 25%, and that you can most likely find similar prices all year round on most things, if you look around. Then again, some things are cheap, just like they can be any time during the year. But Black Friday sellers wants you to believe that everything is cheaper. It might seem like it, until you start to research what they are selling a bit.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

There are good deals to be had on black friday. I subscribed to a learning Chinese course at the Dong Chinese website and got it at 50% discount. $39.99/year instead of $79.99/year.:thumbsup:

There are some good deals, but they are not always limited to black Friday. Black Friday is a commercial religious holiday, so to speak - an idea to increase sales.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

There are some good deals, but they are not always limited to black Friday. Black Friday is a commercial religious holiday, so to speak - an idea to increase sales.

Of course, you can get the same or better deals on other days of the year. The problem is knowing when they do happen. (Not everybody has time to keep looking for deals everyday)

I was following the price of the drone for few months. (my hobby is photography and videography)

DJI mini 2 is perfect example, it seats at $949 solid throughout the year. 

On Black Friday drops to $894 in some stores, that's $55 saving 

Well not much? but that gets me SD Card for free.

So why buying a drone during the year for full price if you can make saving on BF? 

And that's just one product. The principle extends to other purchases as well if you know what you will be buying.

Substantial savings can be made on BF, but only if a person is prudent buyer. 

Of course, you can get the same or better deals on other days of the year. The problem is knowing when they do happen. (Not everybody has time to keep looking for deals everyday)

I was following the price of the drone for few months. (my hobby is photography and videography)
DJI mini 2 is perfect example, it seats at $949 solid throughout the year. 
On Black Friday drops to $894 in some stores, that's $55 saving 
Well not much? but that gets me SD Card for free.
So why buying a drone during the year for full price if you can make saving on BF? 
And that's just one product. The principle extends to other purchases as well if you know what you will be buying.
Substantial savings can be made on BF, but only if a person is prudent buyer. 

Here the DJ MINI 2 goes for 3500SEK (538AUD; 383USD) all year long (pretty much). But a few days before Black Friday. Price spikes at 4888 kr only to be lowered and sold for 4489SEK during Black Friday week. Weird, isn’t it?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

20 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Here the DJ MINI 2 goes for 3500SEK (538AUD; 383USD) all year long (pretty much). But a few days before Black Friday. Price spikes at 4888 kr only to be lowered and sold for 4489SEK during Black Friday week. Weird, isn’t it?

There is a Canon lens case as well, retail price around $1800)  I have paid $1450 for the lens outside any specials/ promotions

due to good negotiations with the store.
This lens on BF is offered for a “huge” discount of $1800 LOL 

So yes, not every item purchased on BF will save us money.  

• 3 weeks later...