JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New World Society in Action

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 885 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

3 hours ago, jwhess said:

Previously mentioned were the cafeteria eating tables.  They were long wooden home=made tables about 3 feet wide and stood about 4 foot high.  Everyone just found a spot and put their tray down and stood there to eat.  The tables often had the salt & pepper and napkins on the table.

I finally found one of the pictures.  Note how the young publishers had to eat "chest-high" and if you were smaller, you couldn't even see the food...🙂

1958 cafe2.JPG

I remember eating at these tables and I remember the trays. I don’t remember the food choices. I think I must have been six or seven. 

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

28 minutes ago, normaclutter said:

I remember eating at these tables and I remember the trays. I don’t remember the food choices. I think I must have been six or seven. 

Sr. Norma, at the summer District Assemblies (now RC), there weren't many "choices".  The lunch and dinner menus were the same for the whole meal.  It might feature chicken for supper or a meat-loaf for lunch, mashed potatoes and gravy, a vegetable (usually corn, peas or beans), a piece of bread, some kind of small dessert (possibly a small piece of cake) and a glass of fruit punch.

Your "choice" was usually just YES or NO when you went past that serving point.  Maybe YES to mashed potatoes but NO to the gravy?  You didn't get to choose between mashed, boiled or fried potatoes.  And breakfast was always scrambled egg, sausage, toast and orange juice but it only cost 35 cents and Pioneers got to eat free,,,,💗

4 hours ago, jwhess said:

Sr. Norma, at the summer District Assemblies (now RC), there weren't many "choices".  The lunch and dinner menus were the same for the whole meal.  It might feature chicken for supper or a meat-loaf for lunch, mashed potatoes and gravy, a vegetable (usually corn, peas or beans), a piece of bread, some kind of small dessert (possibly a small piece of cake) and a glass of fruit punch.

Your "choice" was usually just YES or NO when you went past that serving point.  Maybe YES to mashed potatoes but NO to the gravy?  You didn't get to choose between mashed, boiled or fried potatoes.  And breakfast was always scrambled egg, sausage, toast and orange juice but it only cost 35 cents and Pioneers got to eat free,,,,💗

Yup! That’s what i couldn’t remember. Lol

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

I remember that all of the volunteers were told to report to work before the session ended, then half way through the last talk you would see almost half of the audience get up and walk out..😳🤣

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Over in our topic about the "Pyramid" someone talked about the Tent Cities that were built around the New York International Assemblies.  The picture really fit here also.

The Trailer-Tent City in 1953 was set up in New Jersey (about 40 miles from Yankee Stadium.  They had roads, street signs, water, sewage, cooking, showers, a first-aid station, a fire department and a grocery store.  There were 4 major "sound towers" to blast the convention message through-out the camp.

The city lasted 10 days and for a while it was one of the largest cities in New jersey with about 50,000 inhabitants.  A little over a week later it was gone entirely.

See the pictures below.

53 tent City.jpg

53 Tent City2.jpg

53 Tent City3.jpg