JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

So what kind of offroading do you do?

We're between the desert and the mountains. My brother is big into desert racing, runs a fabrication shop (although he's pivoted into small batch manufacturing), built a limited class truck and won some local series, runs the Baja 1000 every year, etc.

I go with him and take pictures, hold fire extinguishers for pit stops, and other support activities. I also do a bit of putting around on a 250 4 stroke but I never really learned to ride properly and don't want to break bones now.

Desert guy here and we have mountains as well.    My favorite is the dunes at Glamis in California of course.   Offroading stuff I really like.  This includes Desert Racing but have never been to King of the Hammers but will try for next year.   Trophy Trucks and ultra four's are amazing and the suspension is mind boggling with the advancement they have made.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see a place to create a new post, but just wanted to say hello! Hubby and I off-road in the Yukon and interior Alaska in our Rubicon (does that count?😅)  The terrain and options are endless and we've been able to access amazing mountains and flora and fauna that we would never have otherwise seen. Here's one of my faves of all time, Flower Mountain outside of Haines, Alaska. 

gentian mountains.JPG

"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important." - C.S. Lewis

• 7 months later...

We recently went off-roading with a rented dacia duster while on vacation in shallow rivers within the backdrop of inactive volcanoes. There were other but bigger trucks having a go at it. My first time to see such monster trucks other than on tv. Best to know what one is doing, though, or a driver can pop a tire. 

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

• 4 months later...

I don't know if this qualifies as offroading  in the traditional sense, but does driving on a racetrack count? I have owned what are typically called performance cars since I started driving, in the mid 1960s. And I always appreciated the talent of driving with the smoothness and finesse needed on a roadrace course. Then, a few years ago I finally decided to try my hand at it and got hooked. I have been going to the driving school at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch in Nevada, to the NCM track in Kentucky, and Motorsport Ranch in Cresson Texas. In no way do I consider myself proficient beyond the novice stage, and do it simply for fun, trying to improve my lap times around the track in a very good handling car. It is mostly for fun, as many hobbies are. But at my age, (74), it is something that I still can do as "the man I am outside is wasting away". 

Any like minded ones here?

My husband and I recently purchased a pair of electric ATVs.  

DRR Adventure models.  They have a range of 50 miles/charge.  

350207466_ScreenShot2023-03-23at7_42_46PM.png.1c4c89eafdfbd19b0a579c394e0031cb.png350207466_ScreenShot2023-03-23at7_42_46PM.png.1c4c89eafdfbd19b0a579c394e0031cb.png

We plan on making ATV trails and campsites on 80 acres that we kept

after the sale of our farm last September. :D 

They are only designed for 'moderate' off-roading...but, that's okay, 

because WE are only designed for 'moderate' off-roading, too.  😂

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

• 6 months later...
On 3/23/2023 at 11:03 AM, davanz said:

I don't know if this qualifies as offroading  in the traditional sense, but does driving on a racetrack count? I have owned what are typically called performance cars since I started driving, in the mid 1960s. And I always appreciated the talent of driving with the smoothness and finesse needed on a roadrace course. Then, a few years ago I finally decided to try my hand at it and got hooked. I have been going to the driving school at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch in Nevada, to the NCM track in Kentucky, and Motorsport Ranch in Cresson Texas. In no way do I consider myself proficient beyond the novice stage, and do it simply for fun, trying to improve my lap times around the track in a very good handling car. It is mostly for fun, as many hobbies are. But at my age, (74), it is something that I still can do as "the man I am outside is wasting away". 

Any like minded ones here?

Not personally, but anything with an engine is fun!  Keep it up!

• 2 weeks later...

We are bringing this home today. Hubby got it to finish some dirt work on his dad's property, but it's going to be fun on the back roads🤩🙌!

ATV.jpeg

Edited by Cynefin

"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important." - C.S. Lewis

We just bought up a JAC pickup truck, as our second small vehicle Fiat sedici 4wd had rust, and we sold it for more than we bought it. I liked the option of 4x4 for the winter. The JAC is an affordable version of a pickup truck. In Europe Bosnia seems to be a good location to do some fun off-roading.

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/28/2023 at 5:34 PM, Amygdala said:

We just bought up a JAC pickup truck, as our second small vehicle Fiat sedici 4wd had rust, and we sold it for more than we bought it. I liked the option of 4x4 for the winter. The JAC is an affordable version of a pickup truck. In Europe Bosnia seems to be a good location to do some fun off-roading.

I have done trekking in Montenegro in 2018, the view from the top of the mountain was breathtaking! 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)