JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JWL videos distorted

Hi, I am having an issue with the video playing with flashes of colors, mostly green, over portions of the screen, both main and secondary. The videos are fine with OnlyM, and VLC, just not with JWL. What could be causing this. I uninstalled, and reinstalled the app, to no avail.

6 hours ago, Dages said:

What is your device?

Is it up to date?

Windows PC (X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB GDDR5 PCI Express x16 CrossFireX Support ATX Video Card RX 570 ARMOR 8G OC; 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (4x8GB) DDR4 DRAM .

My system is completely up-to-date.

I played the skit with Jade and Nita Saturday night, with JWL. I played direct stream of the latest three videos on JW.org last night. But when I tried to play the video Introduction to Joel, it was flickering and discoloring with green flashes. But when I download the same video and play it with VLC, and MOVIES-Windows, the video plays perfectly. The issue is clearly with JWL.

Sounds more like a "driver" problem then an "app" problem. You might check to see if the video driver is up-to-date.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

2 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Sounds more like a "driver" problem then an "app" problem. You might check to see if the video driver is up-to-date.

"My system is completely up-to-date". 

This includes drivers.

And, as I stated, all other video platforms perform flawlessly. I have OnlyM on my system, and it plays perfectly. This is clearly an issue with JWL. It is the only platform that fails.

Edited by BillyR

more data

23 minutes ago, BillyR said:

Windows PC (X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB GDDR5 PCI Express x16 CrossFireX Support ATX Video Card RX 570 ARMOR 8G OC; 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (4x8GB) DDR4 DRAM .

My system is completely up-to-date.

I played the skit with Jade and Nita Saturday night, with JWL. I played direct stream of the latest three videos on JW.org last night. But when I tried to play the video Introduction to Joel, it was flickering and discoloring with green flashes. But when I download the same video and play it with VLC, and MOVIES-Windows, the video plays perfectly. The issue is clearly with JWL.

That's weird, I don't have any problem with JWL.

39 minutes ago, BillyR said:

"My system is completely up-to-date". 

This includes drivers.

And, as I stated, all other video platforms perform flawlessly. I have OnlyM on my system, and it plays perfectly. This is clearly an issue with JWL. It is the only platform that fails.

If you can, check to see if you've gotten any windows updates recently.  I've had other issues with windows updates breaking the software for the company I work for on specific machines.  Researching led me to see we weren't the only ones to have problems from recent updates

34 minutes ago, coolbrz731 said:

If you can, check to see if you've gotten any windows updates recently.  I've had other issues with windows updates breaking the software for the company I work for on specific machines.  Researching led me to see we weren't the only ones to have problems from recent updates

I had done an adjustment on the Windows updates of my graphics systems earlier Saturday after service. It was conflicting with the AMD's Adrenalin package. And, as I have stated before, every other video player works just fine.

1 hour ago, Dages said:

That's weird, I don't have any problem with JWL.

Not really that weird. It has been glitchy for a while now. That's why we are suggested to have a backup plan. But this issue is far beyond just glitchy.

But I'm glad it works well for you.

I have tried playing Joel both streaming and downloaded.  I have used my Windows 10 PC, laptop, Apple Ipad and Iphone and my Android phone.  I even got my ancient Kindle Fire HD 7 from 2013 and played it from JW.org/Library (it won't download to JW Library app anymore).

I had no trouble playing in any of the situations.  Sorry, I have no data to help.

1 hour ago, BillyR said:

I had done an adjustment on the Windows updates of my graphics systems earlier Saturday after service. It was conflicting with the AMD's Adrenalin package. And, as I have stated before, every other video player works just fine.

Last suggestion.  It's sometimes worked when "really weird" problems happen with software on one computer in an office.  Try right-clicking on the JW Library icon, and clicking the "Run as Administrator" feature.  It'll probably ask you to confirm that you're allowing JW Library to make changes to the system.  I hope this option works, cause that's the last item in my bag of tricks.

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

I have tried playing Joel both streaming and downloaded.  I have used my Windows 10 PC, laptop, Apple Ipad and Iphone and my Android phone.  I even got my ancient Kindle Fire HD 7 from 2013 and played it from JW.org/Library (it won't download to JW Library app anymore).

I had no trouble playing in any of the situations.  Sorry, I have no data to help.

Understood. Thanks.

1 hour ago, coolbrz731 said:

Last suggestion.  It's sometimes worked when "really weird" problems happen with software on one computer in an office.  Try right-clicking on the JW Library icon, and clicking the "Run as Administrator" feature.  It'll probably ask you to confirm that you're allowing JW Library to make changes to the system.  I hope this option works, cause that's the last item in my bag of tricks.

Sorry. In Windows 11, for this app, "Run as administrator" is not an option. Not on the desktop, the start menu, or the "ALL Apps" list. It isn't an option.

2 hours ago, carlos said:

Billy, you can call the branch and explain you are having an issue with JW Library. They will transfer you with the IT department. The friends there are in the best position to identify the issue and correct it.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, BillyR said:

And let me clarify with an image, what my problem is....

Billy, that looks a lot like pictures when they are corrupted.

I notice from your screenshot that you are playing the video on streaming. Could it be that the device is receiving the video incomplete for some reason? Can you please try downloading the video then playing it, instead of streaming it on the fly? At least that might help to narrow down the issue.

8 minutes ago, carlos said:

Billy, that looks a lot like pictures when they are corrupted.

I notice from your screenshot that you are playing the video on streaming. Could it be that the device is receiving the video incomplete for some reason? Can you please try downloading the video then playing it, instead of streaming it on the fly? At least that might help to narrow down the issue.

The first thing I did when the video distorted was to download it and play it from the download, and it was the same. That image is of the Book of Genesis, but Joel did the same thing.

different media players can use different decoders.  VLC has it's own built in, I have no idea on onlym, and jwl.  Some use ffmpeg and others use DirectX.  I would guess JWL uses directx due to what it is written in. The thoughts of what might be wrong (in no particular order)

• a directx problem
  • a driver problem
  • memory starting to go bad
  • video card memory starting to go bad
  • Bug in JW Library

Some things to try:

• Change your monitor resolution and try again
  • Change the resolution of the streamed video (ie 720->480p)
  • Try showing on the external TVs
  • If you have multiple outputs on the video card, try the other output (sometimes video cards assign different parts of memory to different cards)
  • open one of the videos from the location where JWL stores it using a different player  (go to JWL settings to see where it is, probably C:\Users\Public\Videos\JWlibrary)

On 3/28/2022 at 10:13 PM, BillyR said:

OK, let me be more distinct. On MY version of Windows 11, 22H2 OS Build 22581.100, that option is not there.

Screenshot 2022-03-28 161113.jpg

You are right clicking on a shortcut to the app. That’s why your not seeing the option of run as administrator. At least that’s what your showing on the screen shot you posted.  

You need to go find the app in its folder and then right click it. Then you will find the run as administrator section mentioned before.