JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Research Guide won't update

A few days ago, a new version of the Research Guide showed up on JW Library. But in my JW Library it refuses to update. (Perhaps it's better to post this here rather than in this other topic.) It shows up with the circular symbol to indicate an update is available, but no matter what I do, it won't update. Clicking to update "installs" an update, but that symbol is still there afterward, and the Title Page/Publisher's Page still says it's the "May 2020 Printing." I have already tried deleting the Research Guide and reinstalling it, and even uninstalling JW Library and reinstalling it, but it's always the same problem.

Has anyone else seen this anomaly?

I have had that happen with one of the Article Series, it refused to update but it eventually resolved itself.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Have you tried installing it via the study bible?

If you press a scripture and press the study note symbol (diamond), it might say at the top of the page: "Download the latest research guide to see helpful references".

You can try downloading the research guide that way, as I didn't see it mentioned in the ways you had tried.

This is what you should see before you download it (image):

Screenshot_20220428-205038.thumb.jpg.f5236c7d182b695d7a67642ff5596f0d.jpg

Edited by Br. Ice

18 minutes ago, Br. Ice said:

Have you tried installing it via the study bible?

If you press a scripture and press the study note symbol (diamond), it might say at the top of the page: "Download the latest research guide to see helpful references".

You can try downloading the research guide that way, as I didn't see it mentioned in the ways you had tried.

This is what you should see before you download it (image):

Screenshot_20220428-205038.thumb.jpg.f5236c7d182b695d7a67642ff5596f0d.jpg

I didn't know about that, so I tried it. First, I removed the Research Guide from JW Library, then I went into the Bible and saw the suggestion to download the Research Guide, and tapped on Download. Thank you for the recommendation but that didn't work either. I still see the Research Guide with the circular symbol.

I found out something else just now. The JW Library I'm referring to above is on my Android tablet. But there's also my Windows laptop. I don't normally have JW Library installed there since I use Watchtower Library (on DVD). But I just tried it on Windows again, with exactly the same results on Windows as the Android! The date there is also May 2020.

Edited by Sheep

I had a similar situation this week with the latest Study Bible update.  I started at the "Home" page of the JW Library, clicked on the "refresh" icon. I didn't see the Bible listed on that page.  I went to the Bibles and checked the choices and it showed an update available but it wouldn't complete or follow-through.  So I went to the publications listings and selected "Books" and checked the menu at the top of the page.  It said there was a Bible update.  I clicked on that choice and it updated from there.

I don't know if any of those consecutive steps would be of any help.

3 hours ago, howudodat said:

give it a couple of days.  This can happen if a file is marked as updated, but the actual update hasn't posted yet.  it's rare, but can happen.  

Hhmm. If the update hasn't posted yet, why aren't others having a problem getting it? Somehow that doesn't sound right.

On jw.org, the file date for the download in pdf format is June 16, 2020. But the date for the jwpub file is April 25, 2022.

Nevertheless, if I download the jwpub file, the timestamp still says June 16, 2020. And if I try to install the update from the jwpub file an error message says the current or a newer version is already installed.

5 minutes ago, Sheep said:

On jw.org, the file date for the download in pdf format is June 16, 2020. But the date for the jwpub file is April 25, 2022.

Nevertheless, if I download the jwpub file, the timestamp still says June 16, 2020. And if I try to install the update from the jwpub file an error message says the current or a newer version is already installed.

Just a thought, but there have been times i have updated a file and it will still show the older date. When i close the app and reopen it, it will show the newer file date.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

19 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Hhmm. If the update hasn't posted yet, why aren't others having a problem getting it? Somehow that doesn't sound right.

I cant say exactly how the branch pushes out the updates, I can only speak to how I have pushed updates through CDNs.  There are typically 3 steps

1. Push change to a master server
  2. all cdn slaves sync (sometimes very quickly, sometimes longer)
  3. mark the file as updated

If the branch uses something similar and step 1 and 3 have happened, it's very possible that CDN servers in one area have the update while others dont.  It's also possible that #3 happened and #1 failed for some reason (human or technology).  The content (jwpub files, videos, pictures, etc) are on different servers than the website that lists the files as well (IIRC) the catalog.

I have seen this happen in the past and it usually self rectifies in a day or less.  On ne mange pas le sirop d'érable avant que c'est l'heure 😀

2 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Just a thought, but there have been times i have updated a file and it will still show the older date. When i close the app and reopen it, it will show the newer file date.

That doesn't seem to make a difference with me. I have closed the app several times already after trying to update the Research Guide, but it still tells me there's an update available.

17 minutes ago, howudodat said:

I cant say exactly how the branch pushes out the updates, I can only speak to how I have pushed updates through CDNs.  There are typically 3 steps

1. Push change to a master server
  2. all cdn slaves sync (sometimes very quickly, sometimes longer)
  3. mark the file as updated

If the branch uses something similar and step 1 and 3 have happened, it's very possible that CDN servers in one area have the update while others dont.  It's also possible that #3 happened and #1 failed for some reason (human or technology).  The content (jwpub files, videos, pictures, etc) are on different servers than the website that lists the files as well (IIRC) the catalog.

I have seen this happen in the past and it usually self rectifies in a day or less.  On ne mange pas le sirop d'érable avant que c'est l'heure 😀

Okay. I get it. I don't know too much about CDN servers, but I know what they are. I think I'll just wait a couple of days to see if the problem corrects itself, although it has already been almost a week since I have been seeing the update available.

Just in passing, why the French at the end of your post? No problem there, since I read French anyway. But I haven't had much Maple Syrup recently, even though it's popular where I am.

• 2 weeks later...

Here we are two full weeks after the release of the 2019 Research Guide update. And it still refuses to update my JW Library in Windows and Android. It seems that JW Library can't find the updated version of it, even though it tells me there is an update. If I go onto jw.org and find the 2019 Research Guide, I can download the jwpub file, and it says the latest available version is 2022-04-25. But the time stamp of the file I download says 2020-06-16 (file size 65,454,334 bytes).

Where can I find this 2022 update?

I had to reload a windows 10 hard drive on a spare computer.  After the OS, then my MS Office, then my WTL (DVD) and finally my JW Library app.. I did this last week (1st of May).

I uploaded most of the books and so on.  My Research Guide updated OK.  It shows a 2022 date. 

rsg.PNG

14 hours ago, jwhess said:

I had to reload a windows 10 hard drive on a spare computer.  After the OS, then my MS Office, then my WTL (DVD) and finally my JW Library app.. I did this last week (1st of May).

I uploaded most of the books and so on.  My Research Guide updated OK.  It shows a 2022 date. 

rsg.PNG

Mine, after all this time, still says it's the May 2020 Printing.

2020-05.thumb.PNG.fe252d19bc156f46bf8233c8a144ed5b.PNG

7122945_Ohno.gif.80fa6628bfeca4c2b91b3b860bda587e.gif

Okay. I think we may have something here. Looking at @howudodat,s post again, I see that, as he explains,

On 4/29/2022 at 1:30 PM, howudodat said:

it's very possible that CDN servers in one area have the update while others dont

So, I tried a trick using a VPN. I made my computer think I was in Zurich, Switzerland, so I would be getting into a different server. And it worked! I finally got an updated jwpub file, dated April 25, 2022, being 112,478,760 bytes in size. Using that file instead of the one I get locally, I got the update on Windows. Then I transferred the file to my tablet, and it updated the Android JW Library too!

So it must be that the server that my computer accesses (without the VPN) does not have the update. That sounds like it may be the likeliest explanation.

We used to be able to leave comments about JW Library on jw.org, but it doesn't look like we can do that anymore. Since others may be having the same problem around here to update their Research Guide, how do I warn the brothers at Bethel that our server is not up-to-date?

yessss.gif.9f28fd721f3433384240409c1c0e1b05.gif

Edited by Sheep

• 1 month later...

It says on jw.org that a new update to the Research Guide is available...

https://www.jw.org/en/news/jw/region/global/Research-Guide-in-JW-Library-Updated-With-Expanded-Scripture-Index/

However I'm having the same problem with this one. JW Library won't update. It only gives me the February 2022 printing.

Or, since this update announcement was only posted today (June 17), does this mean it's not going to be available for a couple of days?

My JWL showed the "pending update". I clicked it and it seemed to d/l an update. It no longer appears in the update tab. However, the Publisher's Page still shows Feb 2022

Maybe this doesn't change since it may be a minor update - not a reprint ???

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

35 minutes ago, Sheep said:

https://www.jw.org/en/news/jw/region/global/Research-Guide-in-JW-Library-Updated-With-Expanded-Scripture-Index/

However I'm having the same problem with this one. JW Library won't update. It only gives me the February 2022 printing.

Or, since this update announcement was only posted today (June 17), does this mean it's not going to be available for a couple of days?

WOL has the February 2022 Research Guide, so perhaps that is the latest?

Edited by Tortuga

2 hours ago, Sheep said:

That article says "On April 25, 2022, an updated version of the Research Guide ..." So it seems February 2022 version is still the latest.

I also had numerous problem updating the Research Guide. But as always, using thr jwpub file directly from jw.org is the most errorless way to download and update files on JW Library.

You can try download the Research Guide (rsg19_E) directly here and see if it solves the problem.

Research Guide for Jehovah's Witnesses—2019 Edition

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&pub=rsg19&srcid=share

Interestingly, the date of update is listed as June 8, 2022.

Edited by Hinata