JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

FOX News: Surgeon performed life-saving procedure on firefighter whose religious beliefs opposed blood transfusion

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 674 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Surgeon performed life-saving procedure on firefighter whose religious beliefs opposed blood transfusion | Fox News

Those who serve on HLC's will appreciate this. I know the brother personally. It was amazing to see Jehovah's hand throughout the entire process. He was up and walking around (albeit limited) just three days after surgery.

"The surgeon said during bloodless heart surgery, physicians use meticulous surgical techniques and innovative procedures to minimize surgical blood loss and avoid the need for a transfusion. El-Hamamsy said besides providing peace of mind to these patients, there has been study after study that show patients who do not receive blood transfusions have a better recovery than those who receive even a small amount of blood."

Good article, I had an aortic valve replaced last month using the TAVR method ( transcatheter ) minimally invasive, no open heart surgery, at a very well know hospital in Nashville, not using blood  was not an issue, both the surgeon and anesthesiologist were on agreement about it. I went in on a Monday and released the next day, returned to  normal activity after 5 days!  

Good article. However, it also mentions that the surgeon knew the doctor whose patient died from refusing the blood transfusion. I wonder if this is the case.

No matter how the wind howls the mountain cannot bow to it. 

4 hours ago, Jimi-L said:

Good article. However, it also mentions that the surgeon knew the doctor whose patient died from refusing the blood transfusion. I wonder if this is the case.

Well, some people die during surgery, with or without blood.

In the few cases I know of Christians who died in this situation, most were because doctors refused to operate them until it was too late. Blaming rejection of blood is an easy excuse.

Before surgery the doctor will tell you all of the negative things that can happen to you, blood clots, heart attack, stroke, death, this can happen with any type of surgery regardless of age or health condition, it also very much protects them against any future law suits that may be brought against them, papers will be signed attesting to that also!

This one stands out in the above report- 

", but the reader should interpret these changes cautiously, given the small numbers of reports and inherent variations in reporting accuracy. The significance of shifts in numbers derived from small populations may appear greater than what the numbers would otherwise suggest."

10 hours ago, carlos said:

Well, some people die during surgery, with or without blood.

In the few cases I know of Christians who died in this situation, most were because doctors refused to operate them until it was too late. Blaming rejection of blood is an easy excuse.

Exactly.

I would say most of the statistics, especially in the early days, where one reportedly "died from refusal of blood transfusion," were simply because they received no treatment at all. Doctors refused to do anything, and even went as far as refusing to allow the patient go to another hospital that would operate. I find it very unfair and dishonest for medical professionals and the media to make such claims when it cannot be stated with absolute certainty. It was used as a copout and a way to place the blame on Jehovah's people, just like you said. Thankfully, this scenario is less common today as the medical profession is more educated on these matters. But, still, even today most people still believe blood is "life-saving."

I know of a faithful witness couple in our circuit who had to "abduct" their own child from a hospital that refused to provide treatment to take him to another one. As is usually the case, the hospital had the police get involved. This happened decades ago and the incident still leaves chills when the story is told.

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”