JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Another Extreme Weather Event for NSW Australia--Sydney's Suburbs Flooding

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 653 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Some areas of the planet are experiencing TOO MUCH rainfall...

While other areas are experiencing TOO LITTLE rainfall. :( 

A MEGA drought has hit the Southwest US.   Worst drought in a THOUSAND years!

We really are living in a time of EXTREMES.  

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

5 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Some areas of the planet are experiencing TOO MUCH rainfall...

While other areas are experiencing TOO LITTLE rainfall. :( 

A MEGA drought has hit the Southwest US.   Worst drought in a THOUSAND years!

We really are living in a time of EXTREMES.  

:omg: And there are still people that say climate change is fake news...

I doubt any of them are living in either of those two areas!

Edited by Sheep

There are no words for those who have been flooded out for the 4th time in the last 18 mths, in what we’re supposed to be “1 in a hundred year floods”.  The ground is still saturated and can’t accommodate any more rain. The dam is at full capacity and is spilling, further swelling the rivers downstream. The faces on those poor people being evacuated is so very sad. 

It’s a different kind of refugee. It’s becoming obvious it isn’t viable to rebuild in those places. And where are they supposed to go? In this tight economic climate there are no spare tradesmen to build or repair homes. There are no spare rentals. Truly anxious times, and we are very glad we can share true hope to any who will listen. 

Btw, as far as I can tell, Bethel is ok. 

7 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Btw, as far as I can tell, Bethel is ok. 

I know a sister who has to go around to all the olive trees and others that were planted for the Jesus video production at Bethel and her job is to pump out the water that is excess of what the plant can take. Each tree has a drainage pipe storage tank around them where she inserts a submersible 12v pump with a car battery in a wheelbarrow and pumps out the excess water. During the last bout of the flood, she was flat out trying to maintain the trees. She she's she feels like a doctor doing their rounds checking on the patients.

They at one time were staying at one of the caravan parks near Camden but was moved along with several other brothers who were working on the Bethel site to the Assembly Hall before the caravan park went under water. 

8 hours ago, Lewis said:

Australia has especially been at the mercy of changing global weather patterns. It has commonly seen droughts, deadly bushfires and bleaching events on the Great Barrier Reef. The higher temperatures have been unleashing more rain resulting in frequent flooding.

It is actually the sea surface temperature that greatly affects the rainfall (and coral bleaching) in Australia.

There is more better information by looking at what the BOM.gov.au have on this, as there are many things that interact with each other, such as the below.

On the northern east coast, we have a systems called El Nino (little rainfall) and La Nina (massive rainfall) which is based on the warmer sea surface temperatures that is in the Pacific ocean, and this system also affects the western coast line of South American countries (the El Nino and La Nina) When we have a El Nino, South America has a La Nina, and so forth. But we have a neutral period where the warmer sea surface temperature in in between the two continents which neither has a El Nino and La Nina.

On the western side of the country, we have the Indian Ocean Dipole system, which is also related to the sea surface water temperatures too.

Then we have the SAM (Southern Annular Mode) is the based on the westerly winds that traverse below our continent which also have an affect as we.

What we are currently having in the eastern part of the continent is what we call an East Coast Low (ECL) or Easterly Trough. In June 2007, we had a huge ECL event in the Hunter which did break a 7 year drought for us where it did cause some horrific flooding and wind damage in the area. We at our property had received 250+mm (10 inches) in less than 24 hours. We had a dam that we had cleaned out 18 months beforehand that only had a puddle in the middle of it which was about 30cm (1 foot) of water during all it that time, but by Saturday early morning it had filled up (4.5m or 15ft) and was overflowing.

The local river has risen from its normal height of 1.30m (4ft 3inches) as of 11:30am Sunday morning to now at 9.20m (12ft 2inches) as of 9:15pm Tuesday night. It has been rising at 5cm (2inches) every 15 minutes for that since midday, or 20cm (8inches) per hour). They have issued evacuation orders for the low lying areas on the river flat.

Edited by Pabo

They spend all kinds of money building pipelines for oil, would be nice to find a way to route overflow waters to the dry areas….

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

The river is at 11.55m (38ft 4inches) at 5:45am which is Moderate level of flooding and still climbing. Looking back up stream the river is still rising up there so it will get to about Major flooding point at 13m by lunch easily. If we get to 14.5m it is time to board the boat. 

About 20minutes ago I saw a SES (State Emergency Service) vehicle go by with their lights flashing towing a tinnie (small boat). I guess they are going inspect and possibly close the road off for flooding.

Thankfully we are out of the flood area as we are about 10m higher than the 1955 flood, but my brother-in-law and his son are on the flood plain with their farm. They have been monitoring the situation as they always do and are very much prepared for it. The family has been on that farm 4 generations and have been through the 1955 flood, so they know what to expect. I say they will be milking the cows this morning and moving them to higher ground afterwards.

8 hours ago, BLEmom said:

They spend all kinds of money building pipelines for oil, would be nice to find a way to route overflow waters to the dry areas….

We find that ridiculous too, but to move flood water is bigger task than you can physically do. Warragamba dam is letting out as much water over the spillway that will fill Sunday Harbour each day! That is 500 Gigalitres or  500,000,000,000 litres!

I would like to see pipelines to move surplus water from the coast inland where it is generally dry during the drought. But you cannot burn water like you can oil 

Edited by Pabo

Australia floods: 50,000 on evacuation alert after deluge hits Sydney
By Tiffanie Turnbull
BBC News, Sydney

About 50,000 people have been urged to evacuate their homes as floods hit Australia's largest city for the third time this year.

Parts of Sydney have received about eight months of rain in four days.

Roads have been cut off, some houses are under water and thousands have been left without power.

Widespread flooding across Australia -

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-61991112

Old (Downunder) Tone

Screenshot_20220706-095251_Chrome.jpg

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

18 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Hey, stay safe and be careful my brothers and sisters out there in the flood lands. Keeping you all in my prayers. Is the bad weather moving north to the soggy Northern coast as well? 😢

The northern areas are now being feed with that tropical air moving in from the SEQ coast. Rainfall units are from 9am, which it is now 10:50am.

image.thumb.png.9fae3e0081f0192813c10cd9e4ca306a.png

At 9am the rainfall totals are below. Coffs Harbour coped it again with a huge amount of water falling on them.

image.thumb.png.1b6ae8d9102ecbcfa57a39e2f66747d0.png

At 1:15pm it has reached major flood level at 13m (43'4"). We have been asked to leave work ( 😁 ) and go home. It is possible that sections of the town may lose power for safety reasons as there is a big sub-station in town.

So our MWM will be done on Zoom for everyone's safety.

I got home from work and these poor fellows are feeling cold and wet.

IMG_20220706_150117543.jpg

The river behind our office before going home (2:15pm).

IMG_20220706_141557220.jpg

Edited by Pabo

As of 9:30pm it is now 13.63m (45'5") and looks liked it may have peaked. :sweat:

The town is now isolated, but it will be hopefully for a day or two, just depends on how much is till yet to trickle down the rivers from the catchments that are north-west of us or what may fall from the sky.

However, having the MWM over Zoom tonight was the thing we needed to get everyone together to calm some of the nerves of some, especially those who are new here.to our congregation, even though they are pretty safe where they live.