JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What to do with old device

I have an old Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8" tablet with Android 4.4.2 KitKat.

Several years ago I uninstalled most of the apps and I was using it to show videos from the JWLibrary in service, but JWL stopped updating a year ago.

Any ideas or suggestions for what I can do with it now?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Selected videos and epub or PDF files could still be manually loaded to it for service or as a backup device.

Do you have need of a dedicated smart screen / clock / weather / photo slideshow?

Some aspects will stop working as root certificates expire, protocols become outdated, etc.

We have a brother (naturalized citizen from Mexico) who has relatives in the Truth in Mexico.  He sends the old phones and tablets to them and a brother there refurbishes them  and gives them to the poor brothers who can't afford new devices.  I don't know if Mexico still uses LTE3 or not but he turns them into useful tablets of all sizes.

That is what we did with our old electronics.

2 hours ago, -Chris- said:

Selected videos and epub or PDF files could still be manually loaded to it for service or as a backup device.

That's my current plan. I have VLC loaded on it and I can load the current videos that I might want to show out in service.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

JWL stopped updating a year ago.

This is odd... I don't know what changed but JWL decided to update and download the latest catalog for the first time in over a year. So now it appears that I can use this as a field service tablet. >:D<

5 hours ago, Tortuga said:

This is odd... I don't know what changed but JWL decided to update and download the latest catalog for the first time in over a year. So now it appears that I can use this as a field service tablet. >:D<

You can still use the JWL on Kit Kat, but it will not be updated to V12.5, which has all the gimmicks for the BIble, Research Guide and dark mode.

I have a Samsung TabS 8" running on Lollipop, but I cannot update JWL past v12.4.

Marshmallow onwards JWL will still update, as my Lenova Yoga Tab 8" has rums on Marshmallow and it still is going.

Edited by Pabo

I usually check out XDA to see what new updated flavors of Android it can handle. https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/galaxy-tab-3-8-0-android-development.2404/
If they can handle HDMI out and power in with a small hub, sometimes they can be refurbished into a TV Zoom setup for someone.
One fun option is using them as a PC remote input. https://www.touch-portal.com/

11 hours ago, sis little said:

My brother what is VLC

VLC media player (previously the VideoLAN Client and commonly known as simply VLC) is a free and open-source, portable, cross-platform media player software and streaming media server developed by the VideoLAN project. VLC is available for desktop operating systems and mobile platforms, such as Android, iOS and iPadOS. VLC is also available on digital distribution platforms such as Apple's App Store, Google Play, and Microsoft Store.

In other words, it is a media viewer/player that will play almost any format of videos on almost any operating system - a very versatile and stable app/program/player

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 3 weeks later...

I have iPad Mini 1 and I never updated the system so while it stopped getting anything from the App Store, even with only 16 go I can still use it for all the apps and downloads from JWL that I had early on. It’s ok even if I just use it for the NWT when I need a Bible to follow along. I found with a newer Mini that you can go too far in downloading the latest OS. I went one update too far and the whole system slowed to a snails pace. That one works now as the slideshow system and some of our videos, and a note pad.Both still are running the original batteries. I love the Mini’s. I guess it’s time to get a new one.