JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Planning for old age.

Should someone worry about planning for old age? what things should be considered when planning for old age?

honestly it worries me when I see the condition of some older ones.
I know I'm still young to worry about old age but I like to begin planning for things early.

For example how do you make money when you are old and unable to work? especially when you have no one to support you. I believe we need money at every stage of our lives,right? to not have money is a serious problem.

and how do you manage when you fall ill and alone?

also for our brothers currently in their old age,I  want to know from your experience how weak the body can get at old age.

well im 49 and disabled, but when i did work i got an investment plan form the bank and 

kept my credit card debt to a minimum i did go to collage 2 times but it didn't work 

the job i ended up with was a minimum wage job so i lived well with in my budget and kept things simple

but as of today both  Medicare &  Medicaid will not let have any investments with being penalized for it 

I'm sorry to hear about your condition Bro Bobby,it must be really difficult being in your situation. I am  impressed with how prudent you were with your finances prior to your condition.

Bro Bobby please how do you manage your errands,since you can't walk?

I have been worrying about this a lot lately too. I know I’m not alone in not having anything saved for retirement but I’m at an age where I am really, really behind on this. I have been working to pay off credit cards but besides that I’m overwhelmed and don’t know where to start. 

Aside from that from what I have observed, walking a lot and staying as physically active as your circumstances allow is probably the best way to prepare for old age. Exercise is preventative medicine! My grandparents lived on their own (by choice) and lived a simple life. They stayed pretty active walking to do errands, cooking, doing housework etc practically until my grandfather died at 97. My grandma is still alive at 99. A sister in my hall is in her 80s and you would never know it. She gets up at 5am and walks about 3 miles every day.

It's too late for me to prepare for old age ... I'm already there.

I did not work at a job/occupation that had any type of retirement, so I have to rely on US Social Security and still make some income. The work that I presently do is becoming difficult for me to continue so I am trying to start something different.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

5 hours ago, Ishaya said:

I'm sorry to hear about your condition Bro Bobby,it must be really difficult being in your situation. I am  impressed with how prudent you were with your finances prior to your condition.

Bro Bobby please how do you manage your errands,since you can't walk?

i can walk, my disabilities are dialysis kidney failure is why i stop working i dont drive i take the bus or have someone take me shopping 

or have it delver, get rids to the meetings and i still do my own cooking, doing housework and stuff 

4 hours ago, Esined said:

Aside from that from what I have observed, walking a lot and staying as physically active as your circumstances allow is probably the best way to prepare for old age. Exercise is preventative medicine! My grandparents lived on their own (by choice) and lived a simple life. They stayed pretty active walking to do errands, cooking, doing housework etc practically until my grandfather died at 97. My grandma is still alive at 99. A sister in my hall is in her 80s and you would never know it. She gets up at 5am and walks about 3 miles every day.

Exercise is something I really need to work on,Its been a very very long time since I went out for a jog,Ive never visited the gym either.

I always thought that exercise is not necessary for me since I am on the  slim side, I've been wrong obviously.

Keeping active where possible can really help.

I've got just over 2 years to make it to be a mighty man (80 years of age)

I jog a 3 mile trail sround 3 times a week. Slow pace around 12 minute miles.

Tripped and fell this weekend. Apart from a black eye, some scraped bruises and injured pride I didn't do any damage. 

I'll maybe take a week off!

I've done over 130 runs this year and only the 1 accident.

Financially live simply on social security.

Hi John,

I hope you’re feeling ok now.

Its good that you keep moving, especially as you are “up in years”

I’m 70, and have just taken part in a study about Frailty in Seniors, here in the UK.

and the key is, as you are doing, keep moving.

regards JanG

17 hours ago, Ishaya said:

Exercise is something I really need to work on,Its been a very very long time since I went out for a jog,Ive never visited the gym either.

I always thought that exercise is not necessary for me since I am on the  slim side, I've been wrong obviously.

Exercise isn't just for losing weight. It's very important for maintaining brain and cardiovascular function and overall well-being. Jogging or the gym are good, but walking daily, staying active with housework and gardening and doing simple exercises at home seem to work just fine for a lot of people. :)

Because of my health condition I have to take a lot of supplements that aren't covered by insurance, and I need them in order to function. So I do worry about being able to afford things like that on just social security.

10 minutes ago, Pabo said:

You only get old once in your life, for the rest of the time you are getting older.

After Armageddon you get younger and older at the same time 🤣

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 11/13/2022 at 3:10 AM, Ishaya said:

Should someone worry about planning for old age? what things should be considered when planning for old age?

honestly it worries me when I see the condition of some older ones.
I know I'm still young to worry about old age but I like to begin planning for things early.

For example how do you make money when you are old and unable to work? especially when you have no one to support you. I believe we need money at every stage of our lives,right? to not have money is a serious problem.

and how do you manage when you fall ill and alone?

also for our brothers currently in their old age,I  want to know from your experience how weak the body can get at old age.

My brother, you are still young and the nearness of the end of this system is so close.  You will not experience old age. 

However, saving should start early in your life.  Make your life simple.  Eat healthy and have a Drs. visit once a year for a complete physical checkup.

Stay active mentally.  Pray, preach, study and read the scriptures daily. 

Walking is a perfect exercise.  Jehovah made his prophets and the nation of Israel walk.

Stay close to Jehovah and don't worry about tomorrow.  Jehovah has tomorrow in his hands!

On 11/14/2022 at 5:23 AM, Ishaya said:

Jogging long-term can be damaging to your bones and cartilage. Perhaps strength-training and weight lifting would work better for you as opposed to cardio training. Gaining muscle is always best for all persons regardless of age or gender or body type.

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

A lot of the exercise problems we have these days is because our work has become very sedentary.

What used to be done by manpower is now being done by machinery, hence gyms have become the places to be. 

However, we dont have to go to a gym to exercise. Apart from anything else they seem to be very expensive.

If we have even a small patch of ground, we can garden and grow some fresh vegies and herbs.  Digging in the garden is great exercise.

Cycling instead of getting in the car for short, small errands.

Walking - if we can't think of a reason to have to go for a walk, get a dog.  That'll soon give you a reason. 🤣 (just joking about getting a dog, though it does make you go for walks)

And if none of these things is practical for you, YouTube has some great exercise videos that covers all aspects of exercise and you can do them right in your own home.

Unfortunately, due to long term chronic health conditions, my physical self isn't in a good way and I can't do a great deal about it.  At the beginning of covid, a physio  in Sydney started up a seniors exercise program online.  I joined.  3 weeks in, at a relatively gentle pace, I was half dead and it took me the best part of 12 months for my body to recover. I have tried just about everything possible and I hate being in this place but only the new world will fix me now.  

Financially, separate the wants from the needs and live as frugally as possible and try and save a dollar or two a week. In the Western world this can be very difficult, especially if we have children of a certain age, who seem to be getting younger and younger, who want to wear and have the same things as the rich parents' kids do. The pressure from advertising and peers is enormous and I really feel for the parents out there who struggle to put food on their table and clothes on their backs while the media is saying buy! buy! buy!  And even more so at this awful time of the year.

Ultimately, 1 Tim 4:8 has the answer: For physical training is beneficial for a little, but godly devotion is beneficial for all things, as it holds promise of the life now and the life that is to come.

Keeping praying for the kingdom to come, for wisdom to manage your money in a practical way and to endure through these difficult times. x

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.