JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Poles for commenting with the roving mics question

Around the start of the pandemic I seem to remember receiving some direction that we were to use poles with our roving microphones for audience comments.

Now I'm looking for that same reference and I can send to find it anywhere. Does anyone remember that direction? Did new direction come out that removes that language? Any assistance would be appreciated. 

12 hours ago, Jarred said:

We use these at our hall, and they work great.  You can reach the friends sitting in the middle.

https://a.co/d/4bv5GL0

That's what we use.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

6 hours ago, DarinS said:
18 hours ago, Jarred said:

We use these at our hall, and they work great.  You can reach the friends sitting in the middle.

https://a.co/d/4bv5GL0

Same here

Interesting, we use the below, slightly cheaper, and under half the weight, which can make a big difference when holding the boom out to reach that awkward 'middle-seat', when even a 25-second comment can feel life 'forever' when you're holding the boom out that far, especially as people are not allowed to touch the microphone to help you support it...

https://www.amazon.com/Selens-Microphone-Extendable-Electronic-2-7ft-9-8ft/dp/B094N1V3DC

We had used a basic 2 piece extendable painting pole which we had fixed a thread for the microphone holder to be attached. They are super light and they extends out to 2.1m (7ft).

As our KH seating is 6 persons wide for each side of the KH with a centre aisle and aisles at the far end of the row, and 10 rows deep. We only use one roving mic due to the size of our congregation (60 attendees).

I can reach the person at the far end of the row from the centre aisle, but it helps if you are 6ft tall with long arm reach. However most brothers tend to walk around the other side which waste a fair amount of time, where I just work the centre aisle.

Edited by Pabo

• 5 weeks later...

My problem with all the mic poles that I see is the mechanism they use to extend the poles. They all seem to have a grip that you have to loosen and tighten to be able to extend the poles. What we end up with is brother's yanking on them and stripping that locking mechanism.

What I'd really love to find is a pole that mimics one of the stand poles we have on the platform: it a pole with a handle trigger that you depress and then can extend the pole and then once you release the handle trigger it's locked. Does anyone know of any products that are like what I'm referring to? 

You may find that most microphone boom poles are twist lock, due to the simplistic design and ease of use. You may find that the microphone stand you may be using may use a fixed hole or notches layout, which are more sturdier built and can use a trigger setup, where it would not work out for a boom pole, which it would make it heavy for the attendant. Also too, the inner pole may slide out just like any other extension pole, but you do not notice this as you are only moving the stand in a upwards motion where you will never pull the entire length of the inner pole out of the stand because you may only need to lift a at the maximum of 2 foot.

The only other poles that may use a pin and holes are painting poles. The only thing I foresee with these is that they do make some noise when adjusting, and also may be not as presentable as a proper boom mics pole, can be bulky to handle, and you may need to make a fitting to hold the microphone holder. So these may not be ideal either.

But if you have brothers that have a habit of over extending the pole when they adjust it (which can happen with any type of these poles), then I would suggest you enforce the rule - "You break it, you fix it". Or that it gets extended to a usable size and then pop-rivet the pole so it cannot be adjusted.

A problem we frequently see is that it takes the brother 15 seconds to loosen the pole to extend it to its furthest reach, then a few more seconds to bring it back to normal size, taking much-precious time from the meeting.  Last time this happened, the comment was only two words.  The audience applauded the brother with the mic for his effort. 🤣

• 6 months later...
On 2/13/2023 at 7:54 PM, Aja said:

My problem with all the mic poles that I see is the mechanism they use to extend the poles. They all seem to have a grip that you have to loosen and tighten to be able to extend the poles. What we end up with is brother's yanking on them and stripping that locking mechanism.

What I'd really love to find is a pole that mimics one of the stand poles we have on the platform: it a pole with a handle trigger that you depress and then can extend the pole and then once you release the handle trigger it's locked. Does anyone know of any products that are like what I'm referring to? 

I have done some extensive searching but I don't think a pole is made that mimics the stand poles we use on the platform. @Aja Where you able to find something?

We have these Gator Frameworks Microphone Stand with 12" Weighted Base and Deluxe Soft Grip Squeeze Height Adjustment (GFW-MIC-1201) and love how quickly one can raise and lower it:

610MbVBjTVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Soon our congregation will be using sisters to help with the roving mics.

Since sisters normally do not have pockets,  we think it will be difficult for them to both carry poles and their mobile device they use for the meeting.

Do you think something like this might work?

image.thumb.png.5b2d81b459c6c6fa25af21cf16a7452c.png

image.png.ed57e305491af82b976f5c1b043a5dd4.png

image.thumb.png.5dbdfc5e14b4d22dab655be03c011733.png

2 hours ago, luisenriquereyes said:

I have done some extensive searching but I don't think a pole is made that mimics the stand poles we use on the platform. @Aja Where you able to find something?

We have these Gator Frameworks Microphone Stand with 12" Weighted Base and Deluxe Soft Grip Squeeze Height Adjustment (GFW-MIC-1201) and love how quickly one can raise and lower it:

610MbVBjTVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Nope, I never found anything. We'll probably just keep the poles we have until the mechanisms get to the point of being unusable and hopefully there will be some more options by then... 🤷‍♂️

19 hours ago, luisenriquereyes said:

Since sisters normally do not have pockets,  we think it will be difficult for them to both carry poles and their mobile device they use for the meeting.

image.thumb.png.5b2d81b459c6c6fa25af21cf16a7452c.png

image.png.ed57e305491af82b976f5c1b043a5dd4.png

image.thumb.png.5dbdfc5e14b4d22dab655be03c011733.png

When I did the mics a couple of weeks ago During the paragraphs or non Q&A items I’d lean the mic against the wall and hold my iPad but then when I was actually moving around the hall with the mic I just left my iPad on an empty seat at the back. 

On 9/12/2023 at 3:24 AM, luisenriquereyes said:

I use a tablet at the meetings, but I usually don't carry it when using the roving mics, it just sits on one of our back counters and I'll go back to it when the paragraph is being read. Even if I happen to use just my phone (where I have lent out my tablet to others at the meeting becasue they didn't have a copy of the article being studied), it too sits on the back counter. I never use my pockets to hold any of my devices. But every KH will be different where they may not have a back counter to rest their device, so you may have to improvise on what you may need to do.

But I have seen at times where brothers just even holding a Watchtower magazine in one of their hands whilst doinf mic duty lose grip of the mic boom pole and have it fall onto the brothers/sisters that they are reaching over. It is always best to use both hands securely on the mic boom pole when you are reaching over, and you really shouldn't be holding onto anything else in your hands/fingers.

On 9/11/2023 at 1:24 PM, luisenriquereyes said:

we encourage our brother to NOT use electronic devices while attending this responsibility

the main purpose is to handle the mics and pay attention to the cong - this might cause a less dignified scenario

—-phones swinging around necks

there is definitely a safety issue involved… and possible distraction

per the examples in video….and at bethel meetings at assemblies at Schools  …. Phones are not used

if you had a sound console…perhaps you could prop up your tablet/phone…..

but midweek mtg doesn’t have the time to ‘go back’  and sit or use phones — gems … Q&A…Bible study…are all fast paced …no long readings

may be a tad longer on Sunday WT readings …. So I have seen a tablet on the 4’ tall counter part of our sound console

we do have some direction about not using phones while walking or driving or doing work….in a theocratic setting

I’ve seen several on the LDC safety newsletters…. But this falls under responsibilities of  COBE/BOE 

12 hours ago, DarinS said:

we encourage our brother to NOT use electronic devices while attending this responsibility

the main purpose is to handle the mics and pay attention to the cong - this might cause a less dignified scenario

—-phones swinging around necks

there is definitely a safety issue involved… and possible distraction

per the examples in video….and at bethel meetings at assemblies at Schools  …. Phones are not used

if you had a sound console…perhaps you could prop up your tablet/phone…..

but midweek mtg doesn’t have the time to ‘go back’  and sit or use phones — gems … Q&A…Bible study…are all fast paced …no long readings

may be a tad longer on Sunday WT readings …. So I have seen a tablet on the 4’ tall counter part of our sound console

we do have some direction about not using phones while walking or driving or doing work….in a theocratic setting

I’ve seen several on the LDC safety newsletters…. But this falls under responsibilities of  COBE/BOE 

Thanks brother @DarinS  We will take into consideration your suggestions.

Our observation is that yes, it is best for the roving mic brothers and soon sisters should pay attention to the best of their ability to their responsibilty.

But they definately also want to participate in the meeting with their comments.  Or when the roving mic brothers do NOT use electronic devices while attending this responsibility,  they rarely ever comment?

When I have the privilege to pass the mics,  I hold my mobile device in one hand and the boom pole with my other hand while waiting for the conductor. During this time I am scanning to see who the conductor may call upon but also trying to see if I can give a comment.  Once someone in the hall is called upon, I quickly slip my phone into my pants or jacket pocket and take the boom mic pole to the person that has been called upon.

Like I mentiond previously,  sisters normally do NOT have any pockets with their outfit. So it would be difficult for them to pass the mics like a brother does.

Sister @TheKid23 says that she leans "the mic against the wall and hold my iPad but then when I was actually moving around the hall with the mic I just left my iPad on an empty seat at the back."

For our hall, there currently is not the space or a place where the sisters could hold their mobile device up "against the wall" or leave them on an "empty seat at the back".

Unless one has their comment memorized, most if not all of us have to at least follow along with the study article and parragraph on their device to pay attention to the spiritual food and give glory to Jehovah with our comment.

We will be training the sisters in the next 2 weeks so we are trying to give them the best training, suggestions and tools so they can do the best job with their new responsiblity.   Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Edited by luisenriquereyes

In our KH, the very back row is reserved for the mic carriers to sit - if they wish to. Most do sit there when having mic duty, but some will sit elsewhere in an end seat. They return to their seats during the WT and can consult their device/magazine while there and then leave their device/magazine in their seat while carrying the mic. During parts like the Gems, they just carry the mic and leave their device/magazine/MWM schedule/Bible at their seat.

We have found, and encourage, that, if those who carry the mic have studied the material beforehand, they can freely comment without the need to carry or hold onto their material and the mic. Since most of those handling the mics, brothers or sisters, are experienced publishers, most have no difficulty answering/commenting in their own words and do not need to consult or read from printed material while carrying the mic.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 4 months later...
On 9/11/2023 at 1:24 PM, luisenriquereyes said:

While we would not discourage friends from participating in meetings, I encourage mic carriers to pay attention to their assignment for that meeting and not be focused on commenting. Inevitably they get distracted from the assignment. Of the examples you show, the necklace style would probably be best. Anything on the wrist will interfere with the poll as some point. 

Since a mic carrier may not stand for the entire meeting, only during the Q&A parts, it would seem beneficial for them to either sit in an end seat of a seat in the back. If they do that, there is no reason they can't leave their study material (book, magazine, workbook, brochure, electronic device) in their chair while they are actively carrying the mic and return to their seat during the reading of the paragraphs. It should be easy enough to comment without needing to hold the material in your hand since you can review your comment during the reading and should be able to remember it long enough to comment.

BTW - I say this from experience. I have carried a mic off-and-on for nearly 60 years and have never needed to carry my study material in order to comment.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~