JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Poles for commenting with the roving mics question

On 9/12/2023 at 6:13 AM, TheKid23 said:

When I did the mics a couple of weeks ago During the paragraphs or non Q&A items I’d lean the mic against the wall and hold my iPad but then when I was actually moving around the hall with the mic I just left my iPad on an empty seat at the back. 

That's what I did when we sisters ran the mics back in 2022.

On 9/11/2023 at 1:24 PM, luisenriquereyes said:

Soon our congregation will be using sisters to help with the roving mics.

Since sisters normally do not have pockets,  we think it will be difficult for them to both carry poles and their mobile device they use for the meeting.

Do you think something like this might work?

We tell the brothers when you are carrying mics your job is to look around for who has their hands raised and be prepared to give them the mic. You can't do that and be looking at your phone at the same time. Put the phone away and pay attention to your job.

On 1/19/2024 at 10:47 PM, Aja said:

I'm curious if you don't have the HEALTH AND HYGIENE AT KINGDOM HALLS document that came out in 2021 for elder bodies to consider. 

Sadly, some feel that pandemic is over and that advice is no longer applicable, when in reality, it should be now the standard guideline regardless of whether the pandemic over or not. Flu's and other sicknesses still go around other than COVID, and as there are becoming more prevalent in their spreading or other that persons immune systems are still haven't been the same since having COVID.

We still have ones in our congregation who either by habit feel or some other reason such as "seniors moment" that they should be touching the microphone themselves when answering, even though the microphone attendant has full control of the microphone boom. We remind these ones that there is no need for them to be touching the microphone or the boom, but I guess old habits die hard.

At Pabo
The fact of the matter means we have written instruction

Until that instruction has been superseded by a new letter

The previous instruction applies

We’ve been told in letters that, unless something was countermanded by a follow up letter, all guidelines remain in Play

sometimes brothers need gentle reminders of this fact

We don't have poles. Every 3rd chair has a microphone on the back, in a holder.

If you are to answer, you just pick it up and you talk, after that you place it back.

It's a lot easier that way. No long waiting, no sleeping brother who needs a poke :) or pointing out which brother or sister has his or her turn. 

jworg1.jpg.fbee44f18d05bd7fd5a2c3c8110f64c6.jpg  "When I am afraid, I put my trust in you."—Ps. 56:3

20 hours ago, Rodejong said:

We don't have poles. Every 3rd chair has a microphone on the back, in a holder.

If you are to answer, you just pick it up and you talk, after that you place it back.

It's a lot easier that way. No long waiting, no sleeping brother who needs a poke :) or pointing out which brother or sister has his or her turn. 

Are they radio mics? If so, how many mics are there in the hall? It would take some time to make sure that their batteries are charged or replaced regualrly.

On 1/24/2024 at 10:03 AM, TheKid23 said:

We installed these on Saturday to stop them accidentally being knocked over all the time 😂

IMG_9465.jpeg

Boy, they made a mess installing them! Just look how much dust there is about the chairs and the floor! Luckily, they didn't have my wife nearby, as she would have given them a good whipping for making such a mess.

Did they have to drill into prestressed concrete panels, even though it looks like gyprock (plaster board) dust?

Did they do a JHA (Job Hazard Analysis) card where they really needed to use a dust collecting device when they drilled the holes?

They could have used one of these devices which are very simple and cheap to buy, and they fit to most vacuum cleaners or dust extractors. Saves alot of work later on when cleaning up afterwards, let alone having to deal with the dust itself when you are drilling.

image.thumb.jpeg.bbd78b401ad7f52fed2ec1d95cb175d7.jpeg

Or they could have used one of these babies, like below. They are awesome to use, as I do have one myself. They saved so much mucking around, especially when you don't have to hold the drill with one hand and the capture device with the other. But when they are integrated with each other, it makes life so much easier and safer too for one person to use. But it can be a bit cumbersome when you are getting into tight spots, which then you my have to resort to the other options.

image.png.4fc947be19c1df34abe13609c4a58adf.png

17 hours ago, Pabo said:

Just look how much dust there is about the chairs and the floor

Honestly it wasn’t that bad, and was hoovered up seconds after the photo was taken.

As for wether it’s plasterboard or not, I have no idea, I was just there to clean up 🤷‍♀️😂

If it is drywall/plasterboard/gyprock I would use these types of anchors

image.png.57fd324b5c036ce69eca1a144b948c8c.png

You don't have to drill a hole first so there is no need for fancy/heavy drills and/or vacuum devices. Very little cleanup needed. I have used these types of anchors, plastic and aluminum, for many years and they have not failed.

Now, if that is a concrete wall, that is another matter.  Still, since the JHA allows for more than one method of prevention/mediation/cleanup - vacuuming up afterwards is a perfectly acceptable solution.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

23 minutes ago, Landon1285 said:

What about these? No drilling. 

CommandStrips.webp.83e7591dbe20f2fad7028787a36bfb99.webp

3 hours ago, Qapla said:

If it is drywall/plasterboard/gyprock I would use these types of anchors

image.png.57fd324b5c036ce69eca1a144b948c8c.png

You don't have to drill a hole first so there is no need for fancy/heavy drills and/or vacuum devices. Very little cleanup needed. I have used these types of anchors, plastic and aluminum, for many years and they have not failed.

Now, if that is a concrete wall, that is another matter.  Still, since the JHA allows for more than one method of prevention/mediation/cleanup - vacuuming up afterwards is a perfectly acceptable solution.

All way above my pay grade 😂 I’m just the cleaner😂😂🙈

1 hour ago, Landon1285 said:

What about these? No drilling. 

CommandStrips.webp.83e7591dbe20f2fad7028787a36bfb99.webp

They would be nice to use as long as they can hold the weight of the mic poles and the constant use/abuse of them removing the poles and putting them back every meting

Edited by Qapla

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

They would be nice to use as long as they can hold the weight of the mic poles and the constant use/abuse of them removing the poles and putting them back every meting

The use part worries me lol especially with multiple congregations. At least there won't be any issues with the wallpaper. 

On 1/23/2024 at 6:03 PM, TheKid23 said:

We installed these on Saturday to stop them accidentally being knocked over all the time 😂

IMG_9465.jpeg

We installed something similar from

Home Depot - black grabber with kind of self seating action

(kind of similar to the gray ones someone posted 

the self stick eventually separate because of the regular usage

lasted less than 3 months

only installed 1 set not 2 

we screwed them into the  side of the sound cabinet - now they never get lost / set aside or dropped

your looks nice - and clean looking

although I can see the drywall probably made a mess

Edited by DarinS

On 1/25/2024 at 10:23 PM, Mike047 said:

Looks like you would need to be Charles Atlas to manage it

They look big on their viewed on their own, but when you look at when they are being used, they not that heavy actually (about 5kg with battery included).

image.jpeg.c2c51bee222219535f3d0bc0df06d170.jpeg

2 hours ago, Pabo said:

not that heavy actually (about 5kg with battery included)

Bill Hader Omg GIF by Saturday Night LiveNo Way Wow GIFOh No Reaction GIF by WWE

Isn't that 11 pounds??