JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Serena Williams 'Will Never Date Again' - Unless He's a Jehovah's Witness

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4346 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Serena Williams 'Will Never Date Again' - Unless He's a Jehovah's Witness By Daniel Distant , Christian Post Reporter April 24, 2012|8:46 am

107336=5871-serena-williams.jpg (Photo: Reuters/Shannon Stapleton) Serena Williams is done with dating. Serena Williams, the famed female tennis star, told her over 2 million followers on Twitter that she no longer dates. Whether the rumors, men, or just dating has gotten to her, no one knows, but one thing is for sure- she will "never date again," according to her Twitter feed. "I will never date again is what I mean," Williams responded to a user, KeithOneal1, who asked her "You don't 'date' what exactly do you do?" The questions came in response to the tennis champion's Twitter topic #serenafriday. Last Friday, the star told her followers that she would answer as many questions as she could if they contained the hashtag, and many responded. Williams remained patient as the dating question came up more than once. "Would you go out on a date if I sent u a pic?" wrote oceanwaterent. "I don't date," replied Williams. [This article was submitted to JWTalk Forums by Givonne Knights.] The reason the 30-year-old has sworn of dating could have a lot to do with her faith. Raised as a Jehovah's Witness, the tennis champion told Sister 2 Sister magazine that it was important that she find a man of faith to marry. "I think it's important when you marry to be evenly yoked," she said, quoting 2 Corinthians 6:14. The verse warns Christians not to be too entangled with unbelievers. "I've been studying to be a Jehovah's Witness, so I go to Kingdom Hall," she told the publication. "I grew up a Witness and it's what I know and we teach things that come from the Bible." Despite the fact that their beliefs are not those of mainstream Christianity, there are plenty of Jehovah's Witnesses for Williams to marry, if she so chose- the organization has over 7 million members. Williams could also be disillusioned with dating because of the men she's been with in the past. She's been linked to rappers Common and Drake, as well as Washington Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington. Article Source: The Christian Post

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Don't get me started. :headphones: I'm happy to hear that she is expressing this viewpoint. But, I am still trying to reconcile her topless photos with Kingdom interests. There has been SO much "bad" press revolving around her and her sister and, involving Jehovah's name. I need to walk away from this one - I understand growth takes time but, when you are in the public - it's right there staring you in the face.

Back when Prince did the Superbowl show (how many years ago?) - my "unbelieving husband" who NEVER watched the Superbowl in his life... told me that he would not miss this event, since it highlighted a JW. I watched him, as he watched Prince onstage with two girls with skirts up to their booties and I prayed and prayed... it was heart-wrenching, to watch Jehovah's name be associated with it. I think I cried all night.

Here I am trying to expound on Kingdom truths and win him over and then this happens... Shot it to "kingdom come" (so to speak) within minutes. My family continues to remind (persecute) me of this when I speak about "our moral differences." It's a slap in the face and how can we ever defend this behavior? I dunno know.

I'm confused.:surrender:

(Deuteronomy 28:3)  “Blessed you will be in the city, and blessed you will be in the field.

Being blessed by Jehovah is not contingent on location, assignment or circumstances. 

Oh my gosh Lori I couldn't agree more! On one hand IF she is sincere (or Prince too for that matter) then that is great. BUT like you said....when these famous personalities openly talk about it so freely and then do some of the stuff they do they really make things difficult for genuine brothers and sisters. :( And I'm like you...it makes me heart sick to see Jehovah's name drug through the mud. UGH!

I don't personally know or follow celebrities enough to know what they say or do, regardless of what Religion they are. I will say though, I feel like a person who truly loves and has a close relationship with Jehovah wouldnt be perusing a lifestyle that has the talking with the media or traveling the world constantly missing meetings and so forth. BUT I cannot read a persons heart (nor claim to) and I don't really know their schedule. I do give her props for having the guts to say she was studying to become one of Jehovah's Witnesses because she has to know that's not a popular decision to make in this world.

"I've been studying to be a Jehovah's Witness, so I go to Kingdom Hall," she told the publication. "I grew up a Witness and it's what I know and we teach things that come from the Bible."

Interestingly, this puts the kibosh on rumors that she is currently a Witness. Hopefully she continues to progress on this path and repents of those past things that she did. :)

I think our brothers and sisters are particularly hard on celebrities who are also our brothers and sisters, or who desire to be.

Remember this is a public forum people, and she can read your comments. I share the articles here so we can all be happy for them, not to tear them apart over petty violations of your personal conscience.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I absolutely agree with what you said Bob, just the fact that they are putting Jehovah's name out there is a BIG deal. No, our famous brothers and sisters are not perfect, but neither are we, we ALL fall short and make mistakes EVERY DAY, so we should not be so quick to throw stones. It has taken some friends many years to dedicate themselves to Jehovah and the same goes for our famous brothers and sisters. We need to have patience with these ones and pray that they DO and continue to serve Jehovah to the best of their ability. Only Jehovah has the right to judge, not us, we do not know their hearts, their situations or their motives, so we should continue to support our brothers and pray for them and display the fruitage of the spirit which are love, joy, peace, LONG-SUFFERING, goodness, faith, mildness and self control. We have to remember this each and everyday of our lives, because this is what drew us to Jehovah and no doubt drew Serena and Prince as well.

I, for one, am grateful that my transition from the world to becoming a brother wasn't broadcast for the world to dissect.

In his talk, "Stay at the table," brother Mozell Mack said: "Let's face it: we're all messed up. Every one of us. If you don't know you're messed up, that's what's wrong with you."

I appreciated the fact that she correctly stated that she was studying to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

As for Prince, I saw a video of him accepting an award where he said: "Awards are nice. But all praise and honor goes to the only true God, Jehovah." Then, ironically, the camera immediately panned to a close up of president Obama (as if to see what his reaction would be).

Priceless. :thumbsup:

It is very hard, almost impossible, for a successful celebrity to serve Jehovah. Jesus said that you can't serve two masters, God and Riches. He also said that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. But in response to his apostles' expression about the impossibility of the situation, Jesus said, With men it is impossible, but with God, all things are possible.

We can certainly pray for Serena and Prince, and if we should ever see them in their respective venues, we can try to give them a word of encouragement, so that they will grow in spiritual strength and determination to please Jehovah first. We can also ask Jehovah fervently for help in dealing with our own personal trials.

Love it!

And...Bro. Bob,

My thoughts are adjusted! That is why I love this forum so...I agree with my sisters wholeheartedly, but Bro. Bob and the post below....is on point!

I, for one, am grateful that my transition from the world to becoming a brother wasn't broadcast for the world to dissect.

In his talk, "Stay at the table," brother Mozell Mack said: "Let's face it: we're all messed up. Every one of us. If you don't know you're messed up, that's what's wrong with you."

I appreciated the fact that she correctly stated that she was studying to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

As for Prince, I saw a video of him accepting an award where he said: "Awards are nice. But all praise and honor goes to the only true God, Jehovah." Then, ironically, the camera immediately panned to a close up of president Obama (as if to see what his reaction would be).

Priceless. :thumbsup:

I apologize to ALL of you and especially Bob, for creating the uproar.

Please understand the intentions behind the post. It was an emotional post wrote out of pure frustration. People often use these stories to discredit us and in turn, this forces some of us into the highly uncomfortable position of having to explain the behaviors of others who share our faith, others whom we have never even met.

In a theocratic environment, this would not be an issue however; I am around unbelievers who just wait for these stories to surface.

We happily defend our faith which is required of us and, we do so with a good spirit. But, we also deal with apathy, apostates and the icing on the cake is the frenzy the media delivers – it just gets exhausting, having to explain everything on a granular level. We shouldn’t have to do this. But, we know that JW’s are under the microscope – all the time. When people inquire – with whatever intention, I feel obligated to “give a reply.” After years of this, well, it saps my energy.

In any event, I share all of your thoughts – we want the very best for our brothers and sisters. We all fall short and, we all keep working at it. With that said, again, I’m sorry for the original post.

(Deuteronomy 28:3)  “Blessed you will be in the city, and blessed you will be in the field.

Being blessed by Jehovah is not contingent on location, assignment or circumstances. 

James - if every witness could hear Bro. Macks talk "Stay at Jehovah's Table", I think we would all think things through a little more!

I have several copies of that talk and listen to it regularly.:headphones:

Re: Serena - I am so relieved that she is not a baptized Witness! But thanks to Jehovah, according to that report, she is studying!

Maybe before this old sytem ends, we can call her Sister.

Your Sister, Voni (walkr2)

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

James - if every witness could hear Bro. Macks talk "Stay at Jehovah's Table", I think we would all think things through a little more!

I have several copies of that talk and listen to it regularly.:headphones:

This is without question - my favorite talk, with exception to my baptism talk. I also have made numerous copies of it and cherish it. It's just beautiful and this would be included as one of the "great things I have learned in the truth." The ransom sacrifice covering over all of our imperfections - as long as we stay at Jehovah's table. I could listen to this talk day and night and never tire of it - the crème de la crème out of all of our talks - yet they are all so wonderful!

Please understand the intentions behind the post. It was an emotional post wrote out of pure frustration. People often use these stories to discredit us and in turn, this forces some of us into the highly uncomfortable position of having to explain the behaviors of others who share our faith, others whom we have never even met.

In a theocratic environment, this would not be an issue however; I am around unbelievers who just wait for these stories to surface.

We happily defend our faith which is required of us and, we do so with a good spirit. But, we also deal with apathy, apostates and the icing on the cake is the frenzy the media delivers – it just gets exhausting, having to explain everything on a granular level. We shouldn’t have to do this. But, we know that JW’s are under the microscope – all the time. When people inquire – with whatever intention, I feel obligated to “give a reply.” After years of this, well, it saps my energy.

In any event, I share all of your thoughts – we want the very best for our brothers and sisters. We all fall short and, we all keep working at it. With that said, again, I’m sorry for the original post.

There was nothing wrong with your post.

She is not a witness and can live her live as she chooses. It's good to hear she is studying, maybe one day we can call her a sister.

I was under the impression she was a baptized sister, and I too shared your concerns. Her lifestyle/actions up to date have gone against bible principles and not appropriate of a witness, but I thought she was a witness as I am sure you did which is why you posted your concern, which I agreed with. Knowing she is not baptized makes her actions in the past more understandable.

Your comment was fine, imo.

Your comment was fine, imo.

Yes it was. I just wanted to try to prevent this topic from going in the wrong direction. Remember we decided to make the News forum visible to unregistered guests, so let's be positive and not be overly critical.

I remember Prince doing the Superbowl Half Time Show. I didn't think anything of it, and thought he made a remarkable improvement in cleaning up his performances over what he had been in the past (he had gotten very raunchy at one point). I thought covering "All Along the Watchtower" was a cute plug.

I remember Prince doing the Superbowl Half Time Show. I didn't think anything of it, and thought he made a remarkable improvement in cleaning up his performances over what he had been in the past (he had gotten very raunchy at one point). I thought covering "All Along the Watchtower" was a cute plug.

See, this is an interesting comment. We have two Witnesses (and Lori's unbelieving family) watch the same event concerning Prince and they come away with opposite opinions. Bob thought it was a a positive statement at how far Prince has come (and I'd heard that comment from a number of Friends), and Lori's family thought it was a joke.

Perception affects our opinions, along with preconceptions.

I'd like to share how I handle this, for what it's worth.:notworthy: The scripture says for ME to give Jehovah a reply to the devil by MY conduct. I can't do anything about the conduct of someone claiming to be a Witness, and I don't feel responsible for them. I share the hope within MY heart with anyone who will listen. The Bible is replete with examples of those who were servants of Jehovah, yet did, in some cases, (think King David!) awful things. We each will answer individually for how we represent Jehovah's name. Or, that's how I see it. When anyone brings up someone like Michael Jackson or either of the Williams I simply tell them that person is just another imperfect human being given the privilege of serving Jehovah, how they use that is up to them. Then I offer to show them something about God's Kingdom.

See, this is an interesting comment. We have two Witnesses (and Lori's unbelieving family) watch the same event concerning Prince and they come away with opposite opinions. Bob thought it was a a positive statement at how far Prince has come (and I'd heard that comment from a number of Friends), and Lori's family thought it was a joke.

We, as witnesses are looking for the best in people and, we all realize the struggles that befall us when we make the choice to serve Jehovah.

Some unbelievers however, don't share this concern. They know little about us except for the fact that we have high values. Admittedly, we do have an image well known by the world especially in our dress and grooming. They expect us to be perfect and use all opportunities to point out our imperfections. I have noticed this fact with many - not only my own family members.

I have tried till I'm blue in the face, to explain that we are not perfect and, the main difference is in the fact that we want to serve Jehovah - therefore, we try harder. It falls on deaf ears. I marvel at the fact that they never mention the other 7 billion folks on the planet - just us! I think they may feel that If they can discredit us, they don't need to look into the truth any farther - in their minds. Who knows...

So is she a baptised witness because for the sake of honesty, she should point out that if she is not an active baptised witness, any brother marrying HER would be himself committing an act of disloyalty and disobedience.

This is not to criticize her, our brothers are wonderful and if I were in the world I would want one too, but if you are going to tweet to millions of people, wouldn't it be good to be accurate when it comes to Jehovah?

(If you're reading Serena, good choice, I'd only ever consider dating a brother too!)

We, as witnesses are looking for the best in people and, we all realize the struggles that befall us when we make the choice to serve Jehovah.

Some unbelievers however, don't share this concern. They know little about us except for the fact that we have high values. Admittedly, we do have an image well known by the world especially in our dress and grooming. They expect us to be perfect and use all opportunities to point out our imperfections. I have noticed this fact with many - not only my own family members.

I have tried till I'm blue in the face, to explain that we are not perfect and, the main difference is in the fact that we want to serve Jehovah - therefore, we try harder. It falls on deaf ears. I marvel at the fact that they never mention the other 7 billion folks on the planet - just us! I think they may feel that If they can discredit us, they don't need to look into the truth any farther - in their minds. Who knows...

Excellent points Sis! I too have noticed the same things....whenever you hear of a negative experience involving a Witness it's always pointed out that they are a WITNESS. You never hear, They were Catholic, or Methodist or Lutheran, etc.... I guess in a way we should expect it since we ARE Jehovah's people and the target of Satan, but it's so frustrating.

We ARE all imperfect, but if you have someone (regardless if they are just a "common Joe" or a famous person) that lives their life in a questionable way, draws attention to themselves with speech/actions, ect... it DOES tend to make our faith look like a "joke" in the eyes of some unbelievers. Now while we realize that we can't control the actions of others, it IS discouraging, disheartening, etc.... when you have to deal with it. Whether it's through unbelieving family, workmates, neighbors, etc.... It will be such a breath of fresh air when we don't have to worry about "defending" because we will ALL be worshiping Jehovah without these issues. :D