JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Lecturn Microphone?

I feel silly kind of silly for asking this, but I will anyway. What is the name or type of microphone stand used at the lectern, that can be controlled (raised or lowered) by the AV brother? This setup is used at the majority of Assembly Halls and I've seen many Kingdom Halls use it as well. Thanks in advance 😎

34 minutes ago, uthamanj said:

Remotely controlled.

We don't have any remote control microphone stands in our area so I can't answer your question but I did Google it and there are a lot of stands available.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Our hall has a remotely adjusted microphone for the lectern.  I would guess that about half of the halls around here have such an arrangement.  You are looking for a "brand name" and I do not know the name. I can try to remember to look on Thursday when we have our meeting.

I would say more so just the type of microphone or bundle set rather than the brand, but that would be good as well. I've searched Google and Amazon with different keywords, but it wasn't returning what I was looking for. I also searched Audio Acoustics and other vendors the Branch has negotiated prices with. But I feel like I'm probably not using the correct keywords in the search.

Thanks for your assistance 👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

For what it's worth, we wanted one of those for our KH. We encountered the same problem, i.e., they're no longer made by the brother. Someone found instructions on the internet for making a remote-controlled mike. Well, we have one of those wonderful brothers who can make stuff, repair things, etc. He didn't "make a remote-controlled mike." He read the intructions, ran some wiring, from the A-V area of our KH, and, voila! The mike is raised-lowered from the A-V desk. It's only been a couple of years; perhaps the instructions can be found by a tekky young brother.

It would be wonderful if we could remotely raise/lower the mic and also raise/lower the speaker stand our smallest appointed brother is 5'6" and our tallest is 6'7" so if they are both involved on the same meeting, the platform attendant has good exercise.

The technology is there for remote mics, but more expensive than can be justified in many cases. Our remote control mic is operated by 'platform assistant', the software is built into a body around 5'9" that automatically walks up to the rostrum and adjusts the equipment. Of, course, sometimes its a different brother.

Edited by Mike047

23 minutes ago, Mike047 said:

The technology is there for remote mics, but more expensive than can be justified in many cases. Our remote control mic is operated by 'platform assistant', the software is built into a body around 5'9" that automatically walks up to the rostrum and adjusts the equipment. Of, course, sometimes its a different brother.

We have a different bro pretty much every meeting adjusting the platform mics 

I have done sound at meetings, Circuit and Convention level since I was 12 ... I have installed sound in more KH's than I can remember. We have, on occasion, worked with a congregation that had a remote mic stand. They were not part of the sound equipment recommended from by the Branch, but they were not prohibited, either.

Here is what I discovered over the years:

• Remote mic stands
    • While convenient, are not very common and seldom used at the Circuit and District/Regional level
    • Since they are usually operated by the sound operator from the location of the sound desk, they are not always positioned at the proper height since person adjusting it cannot always see the end of the mic clearly and at the right angle
    • Cordless ones are not always kept charged and fail during the meeting
    • Corded ones have too much excess cord to drag around if the mic has to be moved
  • Gooseneck mics
    • While it makes it somewhat easy for the speaker to adjust his own mic, many brother push them too far away
    • They tend to squeak and creek when adjusted, especially if the mic is turned up
    • If they are fastened to the lectern, they often get in the way of the speakers notes, Bible and devices
    • Likewise. if fastened to the lectern, they pick up the rustling sound of the papers and thudding of any movement the brother makes

Most ne KH's and major remodels where the sound equipment is replaced that I have worked on opted for conventional quick-adjust mic stands

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

We have just updated our lectern to the LDC nominated powered adjustment version, and one of the elders wanted to get a mic stand that connects the gooseneck mic to the lectern's note section, so it too adjusts when it gets lextern note section lowered and raised. I advised against it as it transmitted the noise that the lectern makes when it geta bumped, also to there are some who have the lectern lower but the microphone height raised higher, due to some of the height of aome of our brothers (which I am one of these). Thus we have left with with just the normal microphone boom.

Not sure if the topic starter is still looking for this solution, but this is at the end down to just the stand.

You could build something like this by using a NEMA stepper motor with trapezium thread.

For instance there is the NEMA 17 stepper motor which is compact, it could be build into the base of the microphone stand and

the trapezium thread being used for lifting up or down the pipe inside the bigger pipe. That is the simple principle of these stands.

Steppermotors can be adjusted to run very smoothly and quiet. The speed can be adjusted and it even is possible to have them slow down when they reach minimum and maximum level. (The minimum or maximum microphone position).

It might need some extra microphone dampening to avoid the "boom", but these steppermotors are that precise and silent with the right settings that maybe that is not even needed. At the end it has apart from correct dampening not really something to do with the microphone being used, or potentially with a gooseneck or not. The gooseneck is the flexible part between the base or stand and the actual microphone. 😁

stepper with axis.jpeg

...It is how it is... 😊  I love long walks, special when you do the walking. A long answer is not short.