JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Letter writing to brothers and sisters imprisoned for their faith

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 394 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I am new to JW.talk but looking for brothers and sisters who engage in letter writing to those in prison.  I would like to do this but I need some guidance.  Please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place.  Like I said 'I'm a newbie who needs guidance'.

Edited by Friends just call me Ross

Added to thread title

You'll need to talk to the Service Overseer in your conregation. There is an application that has to be approved prior to your doing any prison witnessing. There is also a training program on what is ok and not ok - regarding your interections with prisoner.

It is a nice way to open up your ministry to new areas. I am just starting this week myself - after going through the application and training process.

I wish you the best!!!

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

19 minutes ago, Honey West said:

I am new to JW.talk but looking for brothers and sisters who engage in letter writing to those in prison.  I would like to do this but I need some guidance.  Please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place.  Like I said 'I'm a newbie who needs guidance'.

Sr. Daria, welcome to our Forum.  I do not write to prisoners but I believe you will find that those who do so are part of a Branch organized group.  But I will let others share.  The Moderators can move this posting if they feel it is necessary. Again welcome.

Being in a congregation that has been involved in prison ministry for more than 30 years (we have the state prison and death row in our territory) we are part of the pilot program for prison witnessing. As was stated, you need to talk with your BOE since there is an application/approval/training process to engage in prison ministry. As Jerry posted, there are some rather specific guidelines that must be followed before and during the writing of an incarcerated inmate and additional guidelines for if/when they are released.

Those who have been involved in the prison ministry in our area have enjoyed it immensely

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I was probably not very clear in what I hope to do.  I am wanting to write letters of encouragement to those who are in prison in Russia and other various places there abouts.  I realize there are also local prison territories being handled in the States and Canada as I've seen videos pertaining to such on JW.org.  I am not interested in getting involved in prison ministry at this time.  I don't feel comfortable with that.  I don't know if that is appropriate for sisters to do since I've only ever heard of brothers doing so.

1 hour ago, Honey West said:

I was probably not very clear in what I hope to do.  I am wanting to write letters of encouragement to those who are in prison in Russia and other various places there abouts.  I realize there are also local prison territories being handled in the States and Canada as I've seen videos pertaining to such on JW.org.  I am not interested in getting involved in prison ministry at this time.  I don't feel comfortable with that.  I don't know if that is appropriate for sisters to do since I've only ever heard of brothers doing so.

The title of your thread has been edited to show this. :D 👍

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

When I wrote to Brother Christiansen, the instructions were to send the letter in Russian, (Google Translate it)

and do not mention Jehovah's name or speak disrespectfully of the authorities that imprisoned them.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Yes, this makes things a little clearer as to what you were asking about ... still, it is best to talk with your BOE to see what direction they may have.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~