JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Facebook users can apply for their portion of a $725 million lawsuit settlement

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 374 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

5 hours ago, Hope said:

Hey - here's some news you can use... and it's legit for a change!  Share with ya friends:  https://www.npr.org/2023/04/20/1170987739/facebook-settlement-lawsuit-privacy

I don’t know, but I doubt it can apply to all FB users outside the US, since our data wasn’t relevant to the Cambridge Analytica US election scandal.

Is it divided between every single member of FB, or only those who had a problem or claim against them, such as being hacked twice from their website.

And how many actually put in a claim, and then qualify for a settlement.

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

19 hours ago, Hope said:

Hey - here's some news you can use... and it's legit for a change!  Share with ya friends:  https://www.npr.org/2023/04/20/1170987739/facebook-settlement-lawsuit-privacy

I didn't believe this! When I saw the photo in the article containing their address... well, maybe it's appropriate.

ap23109660238212-7a51b187a786161b7e94c28d2ea0471799a2ee94-s800-c85.webp.b55ff3b4298a02d1bf04484e12a7ce61.webp

A lot of people on Facebook do not understand what hacking is.  Hacking into a website takes a lot of computer knowledge.  Many times someone will copy photos from another's page, set up a page with the same username, and start sending friend requests to people on the legitimate friend list.  This simple act of copying is then referred to as hacking.  It takes a lot of computer knowledge to hack into a web page, almost anyone knows how to copy photos.  When someone has a few photos copied they call it being hacked.  They can call it anything they wish.  They could call it BLUE, or STAR, or MOON if they wish.  Instead of saying "I was hacked." they could say "I was mooned."

There are many, many Facebook users. Recently, I was included in a "Class Action Suit" for a chain store based on a product I had purchased. Seems something on the label had been wrong and that is what prompted the suit. I was included because the store chain's records showed that I had purchased the product (hydraulic fluid). We were able to use the fluid just fine and never noticed that something had been "wrong" with the oil. In truth, there was nothing wrong with it, just something mislabeled in the wording of the ingredients.

Long story short ... after a couple years (I had almost forgot about the suit notice I had received) I received a settlement check. It was a whopping $3.12!

So, even though $725,000,000 is available for the settlement, I wouldn't hold my breath on the idea of getting a windfall of cash from Facebook or that, whatever settlement you may get, will be anytime soon.

If my math is correct, the $725,000,000 divided by the 87,000,000 users would come to about $8.33 each - and that may be before the lawyers get their share.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~