JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

NW Scheduler/Publisher - Updates, Support, and Suggestions

Revised Shepherd Addendum:

Par. 3: Inserted direction on online file storage from the Shepherd book, chapter 22, paragraph 23. Direction on online software applications will be provided in due course.

I wonder if this will have any effect on the use of NWS in the near future.

18 hours ago, computerwiz said:

It should do it automatically once you press "submit" for the monthly service report. 

I am doing it from Persons -> Publisher Record. I don't see a submit button.

5 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

The submit button is on the "Congregation Field Service" page, where you look at your totals to submit to JW.org

I have submitted my report for April already. So if publishers submit the report now (for April) they will not be marked as regular until I submit my report to the branch 3 weeks from now?

Edited by Floyd

clarification

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I have submitted my report for April already. So if publishers submit the report now (for April) they will not be marked as regular until I submit my report to the branch 3 weeks from now?

Correct.  It will do it automatically for you then.  Or you can do it manually now.

15 hours ago, molnarj said:

Revised Shepherd Addendum:

Par. 3: Inserted direction on online file storage from the Shepherd book, chapter 22, paragraph 23. Direction on online software applications will be provided in due course.

I wonder if this will have any effect on the use of NWS in the near future.

I'm wondering the same. According to the website, the optional  "Congregation Sharing" feature (which I would think all or most congregations do) appears to use data saved online, but complies with direction provided in SFL.

1215380310_NWSDataSecurity.thumb.png.457ff7e483f5d606ac386fe091a32d7f.png

11 hours ago, JoshD said:

I'm wondering the same. According to the website, the optional  "Congregation Sharing" feature (which I would think all or most congregations do) appears to use data saved online, but complies with direction provided in SFL.

1215380310_NWSDataSecurity.thumb.png.457ff7e483f5d606ac386fe091a32d7f.png

From what I have observed it stores everything online. I know this because I set up everything on one computer and then turned that one off and then turned on another computer and installed NWS and it downloaded everything including all of the personal data of everyone in the congregation. From where did it get the data? I guess they don't consider any of the data stored in NWS to be sensitive.

I made my peace with it because the SMPW website we use in the US stores much of the same data and the US branch allows that to be done.

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

From what I have observed it stores everything online. I know this because I set up everything on one computer and then turned that one off and then turned on another computer and installed NWS and it downloaded everything including all of the personal data of everyone in the congregation. From where did it get the data? I guess they don't consider any of the data stored in NWS to be sensitive.

I made my peace with it because the SMPW website we use in the US stores much of the same data and the US branch allows that to be done.

I don't know how you did that because when I changed computers I could recover everything because I had a beckup file on my personal cloud

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

Correct.  But all that it stores is:

1. Encrypted & obfuscated.  So any human that looks at it won't be able to make any sense of it.  In that condition, could you really call it "sensitive information"?  Precautions have been taken.

2. It's on personal servers that they own.  It's not on Google or Amazon's servers.  It on ones that they own.  So that's another layer of precaution.

32 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

I don't know how you did that because when I changed computers I could recover everything because I had a beckup file on my personal cloud

I've had the same experience as Floyd.  I can retrieve all data even with everyone offline.  All data is stored on servers and can be retrieved at any time.

Edited by computerwiz

1 hour ago, computerwiz said:

1. Encrypted & obfuscated.  So any human that looks at it won't be able to make any sense of it.  In that condition, could you really call it "sensitive information"?  Precautions have been taken.

As I have said before the sfl does not make a distinction between encrypted and unencrypted data. But also I am on board because I believe the organization would have taken measures to shut them down if they didn't want it to be used. Its too popular to ignore. 

Somebody here also claims to have decrypted the data within 30 minutes. 

Keep in mind that I fully trust it and always have. I only questioned whether the organization trusted it and would be happy with us using it. I have a web hosting company and am fully aware of how stuff works. But I am also detailed oriented and noticed that sfl did not say to not use online storage for sensitive information unless its encrypted. I am hoping some clarification will come in the upcoming direction.

14 minutes ago, Floyd said:

As I have said before the sfl does not make a distinction between encrypted and unencrypted data. But also I am on board because I believe the organization would have taken measures to shut them down if they didn't want it to be used. Its too popular to ignore. 

Yes, good logic.

14 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Somebody here also claims to have decrypted the data within 30 minutes. 

They did not provide proof, which is one of those catch-22 things.  Provide proof, then everyone knows.  But don't provide proof, and who knows if it's true?

I know a little "hacking" myself and I can tell you that the backup file might be easy to open up, but I get an error trying to read any of the actual info.  I can try to dig into it more, but I'm not worried about that.  But the data they store on the servers is probably different.  I don't remember if that brother said he got to those files, or if it was just the local backups.

In the first case, if someone's got physical access to your computer and your computer is not protected, then that's on you.  And NWS is probably not the only thing with "sensitive" info in it.

If the second case, if someone's going through that much trouble to get at our info, their time is better spent trying to hack our main website or our headquarters, which has way more info on our members than little ole NWS.

8 minutes ago, Floyd said:

But I am also detailed oriented and noticed that sfl did not say to not use online storage for sensitive information unless its encrypted. I am hoping some clarification will come in the upcoming direction.

I am very detail oriented as well, and as we have heard many many times, context is everything.

Perhaps it is a general rule to prevent just anyone doing something like that.  Whereas a software company, which should have way more IT knowledge & understanding of security, could take appropriate measures to protect the data, and that would be perfectly fine.

Keep in mind too the question of "what is sensitive"?  Do we consider phone numbers sensitive?  Email addresses? Birth dates?

In that context, we'd have to be concerned with publishers posting that info online....because guess where your contacts go?  Every person you store on your phone as a contact, if you have backups turned on, will be stored online.  So if that's a concern, then we'd have wider direction to all publishers, not just elders.

Ok, so phone/email that's not sensitive.  What is?  Are we putting WHY someone got disfellowshipped on NWS?  Hope not!  Are territories sensitive?  No we have maps of our territory in public places in our Hall.  So what in the world does NWS have that is genuinely considered sensitive?

Privileges?  Well no, we see who can do what based on schedules.  We probably have docs that say privileges & appointments as we organize our responsibilities for the Regional Convention (I know we do in the audio department).

I can't think of anything that's genuinely sensitive in NWS that isn't already getting recorded & potentially stored online by just regular publishers or others in other circumstances...

I think that the sensitive information refered to in the sfl is regarding any matter dealt by the BOE... any letter, decision, meetings minutes, etc...

Nothing related to Publishers information. As JEremy said, publishers put theirs and others information online all the time.

Besides, concerning the treatment of data regarding publishers they signed a documentation to allow theyr info to be stored and managed by the congregation (at least around here due to the privacy laws)

2 hours ago, jayrtom said:

I think that the sensitive information refered to in the sfl is regarding any matter dealt by the BOE... any letter, decision, meetings minutes, etc...

But it goes on to say such as information that would be posted on the information board. We don't put publisher information on the information board. And somebody will say "that's because ...." and will have some reason why it doesn't apply. And while I will probably agree with those reasons they don't give us that option. When we have options they say to use good judgement when doing something. They didn't say that here. This may very well change with the updated direction.

The app data needs to be send to update the info in the app. But you can avoid notifications.

Go to Send App Data. Then click Prepare. A list of notifications appears with names. Click on Remove All. (Right side below) Then click Send. This way the info is updated but without notifications. 

3 hours ago, molnarj said:

The app data needs to be send to update the info in the app. But you can avoid notifications.

Go to Send App Data. Then click Prepare. A list of notifications appears with names. Click on Remove All. (Right side below) Then click Send. This way the info is updated but without notifications. 

I've been using NWS for well over a year now & thought I'd gone through most features (tips & tricks) but missed this one. This one is very helpful, thank you @molnarj! 👍🏽