JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

NW Scheduler/Publisher - Updates, Support, and Suggestions

1 hour ago, molnarj said:

Please note that Duties are adjustable fields. You can name them according to your needs. You can rearrange them the way you want. We use Attendant Entrance, Attendant Main hall and Attendant Zoom. So the Video Operator is the one to Start Zoom. But the Attendant Zoom is co_host and is looking after things at Zoom. He and the Video Operator are two different persons in our Hall.

I didn't know you could rename them or even disable them. I see one place you can rename them but I am not seeing the screen in your screenshot. Where is that found?

EDIT: I see where that screenshot is now. But is there a way to disable duties that we do not use so they don't show up in the printed schedule. Like in this screenshot I would not want the "Custom" duties to be printed since they are not used.

image.png.d004d035d2360ec847a553ca2ee9f6b9.png

EDIT: Ok I see now. If I leave the column heading empty then it does not show up on the printed version.

Edited by Floyd

Additional info

For the Duties section when it is printed sometimes the names are too long and the last name gets moved to the line under the first name. I would be helpful in those cases if the first initial could be used instead of the full first name unless you have another suggestion.

There are a few options. When you go to the Print section you can chose a different Template. Then see how it looks.

image.thumb.png.3b25129e2ea65203612049c2d44489ae.png

Make sure you chose Document as File Type Output. When you open the document you can adjust the Margins of the Page if necessary. Or you can adjust the Column Width. This gives you some extra space where it is needed.

If you want a more advanced option, you can create your own Template. But the options are Limited.

Go to the Folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\New World Scheduler\Templates\Duties\DutiesSchedule

Open one of the Templates. Adjust the Margins/Column Width if you like. You can not add or remove fields, nor readjust the place of the fields. If you want to Save the Template you will get a notification you are not allowed to do so in the Folder with Templates. Instead, save it in the My Templates Folder on your Computer: 

C:\Users\jgmol\AppData\Local\NW Scheduler\MyTemplates\Duties\DutiesSchedule (chose your Personal User Name instead of jgmol). Give the Template a name. I used for this '2-Columns own (A4)'

Now, if you want to Print a Schedule next time, Use this Template by chosing it from the Drop Down List. You will Find it below:

image.thumb.png.0651792db4c8aea4495c8138690eeedc.png

On 5/3/2023 at 8:26 PM, JoshD said:

It does, not directly but it can by using Parallels, Boot Camp, UTM, etc (https://nwscheduler.com/jw-scheduler-for-mac/). I'm a PC guy, never really used Mac but I was able to successfully install NWS on Mac systems for a couple of brothers in my congregation. On one I used Boot Camp, easy setup. On the other, because it has an M1 chip, I used UTM. Parallels is nice but it required a subscription to use (not free).

I have a early 2014 Macbook Air with only 4 GB of ram so a virtual server is out of the question. In order to use Boot Camp I am going to have to upgrade the hard drive. Crossover seemed to work but NWS freezes after a few minutes. I might give Parallels a try.

I am a computer guy. I use them all except IOS, I just didn't have a need. I have Windows for my desk, Macbook Air for the couch or when going away, Chromebook for the car. Therefore I really like using cross platform programs. 

On 5/6/2023 at 1:01 AM, molnarj said:

There are a few options. When you go to the Print section you can chose a different Template. Then see how it looks.

image.thumb.png.3b25129e2ea65203612049c2d44489ae.png

Make sure you chose Document as File Type Output. When you open the document you can adjust the Margins of the Page if necessary. Or you can adjust the Column Width. This gives you some extra space where it is needed.

If you want a more advanced option, you can create your own Template. But the options are Limited.

Go to the Folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\New World Scheduler\Templates\Duties\DutiesSchedule

Open one of the Templates. Adjust the Margins/Column Width if you like. You can not add or remove fields, nor readjust the place of the fields. If you want to Save the Template you will get a notification you are not allowed to do so in the Folder with Templates. Instead, save it in the My Templates Folder on your Computer: 

C:\Users\jgmol\AppData\Local\NW Scheduler\MyTemplates\Duties\DutiesSchedule (chose your Personal User Name instead of jgmol). Give the Template a name. I used for this '2-Columns own (A4)'

Now, if you want to Print a Schedule next time, Use this Template by chosing it from the Drop Down List. You will Find it below:

I found changing the font size in the template worked but it only worked for the first line. Subsequent lines are the default font.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Any consequences for running NWS on more than one computer?

I use it on my two windows computers without any issues. When I start up the program on the device that I don't use it on as much , it starts downloading all the changes to the database on startup and is sync'd up within seconds.

We have had some recent, pretty sizeable changes in our congregation that ultimately is going to result in adding a field service group and from there basically rebuilding all 6 of the groups from the ground up. Has anyone had any experience with doing a major overhaul of field service groups while using NWS? I wish there was a "playground" function that let you try out different FSG setups without the changes becoming permanent and that would allow you to revert to the old setup when you are done trying things out. Any tips you brothers have would be greatly appreciated.

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

Any consequences for running NWS on more than one computer?

I have experienced issues. Have not tried it in probably 3 months due to the issues.

I kept having public speaker schedule issues where they would be on one computer but not the other. And then it would erase some of the scheduled speakers from the talk coordinator's computer as well.

So I stopped using it on multiple PCs. 

12 hours ago, Aja said:

We have had some recent, pretty sizeable changes in our congregation that ultimately is going to result in adding a field service group and from there basically rebuilding all 6 of the groups from the ground up. Has anyone had any experience with doing a major overhaul of field service groups while using NWS? I wish there was a "playground" function that let you try out different FSG setups without the changes becoming permanent and that would allow you to revert to the old setup when you are done trying things out. Any tips you brothers have would be greatly appreciated.

It appears you can export the persons which should include the group. I am not sure what will happen if you try to import that file. You may end up with doubles.

You can also use the backup and restore feature as long as nobody makes any other changes while you are experimenting.

20 hours ago, Aja said:

It may take a bit of work, but it's part of what we all do in managing schedules, field service groups, etc.. what I would do is create a current report of your field service groups as they are (either print or save document). Make notes of the suggested FSG changes onto it, and once it's been ok'd, begin the drag and drop of publishers in NWS under "Groups and Families" > "Field Service Groups". Your saved file (or printed sheet) of the current FSG arrangement can then be used in case you need to revert everyone back to the FSG they were in originally.

Brother Floyd's suggestion of using the backup & restore feature is also a solid idea. I would label the backup files accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, halfspanishlee said:

Does anyone Congregation use the App NW Publisher app? As i was sent a link from a brother in my congregation to download it. I have a friend who's Congregation uses it. 

Our congregation is using it 👍  Some others here in the Dominican Republic also.   Here is a thread with others that are using it with helpful tips and tricks also:

6 minutes ago, jwmom said:

What is it for?  I've never heard of it.

It is an app about everything we need..to keep track and turn in time, a virtual information board, list of events..like special meetings, assemblies, converntions, C.O. visit. etc. . MW Meetings for each month which shows who is assigned parts and duties; Weekend meetings shows speaker and Wt. reader and other assignments..your personal duties, request and turn in territories..Sign up for cart work...just to name a few..oh yes..those assigned to conduct FS! For the meetings the Zoom link is there too..Our congregatiion uses 1 link for all meetings..just love it!!

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

9 hours ago, Floyd said:

This feature does not seem to work properly https://nwscheduler.com/how-to/schedule/schedule-public-talks-local/

I cannot seem to find a way to associate a speaker with a talk that was given. I can't find where I can see who gave that talk in that month or year.

In our app, after the month's schedule is finished, it seems the details are deleted and the new month is posted. You could take a screenshot of the schedule each week to keep for future reference..The brother responsible for updating the information is very efficient. Last MWM there were 2 substitutes, according to the chairman. When I looked in the app later, the substitutes names were there, not the one originally assigned the talk! Initially we might wonder who was supposed to give the part, and wonder if they were sick or had some emergency, etc. So the quick action to put the substitute's name causes less anxiety..that's how I look at it.🤔

cat2_e0.gif

5 hours ago, SUNRAY said:

In our app, after the month's schedule is finished, it seems the details are deleted and the new month is posted. You could take a screenshot of the schedule each week to keep for future reference..The brother responsible for updating the information is very efficient. Last MWM there were 2 substitutes, according to the chairman. When I looked in the app later, the substitutes names were there, not the one originally assigned the talk! Initially we might wonder who was supposed to give the part, and wonder if they were sick or had some emergency, etc. So the quick action to put the substitute's name causes less anxiety..that's how I look at it.🤔

This is for public talks. I know I can print the schedule to pdf or something. Just pointing out that the feature does not seem to work as advertised or I just don't understand what its supposed to do.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

This is for public talks. I know I can print the schedule to pdf or something. Just pointing out that the feature does not seem to work as advertised or I just don't understand what its supposed to do.

I think this brother may be able to help you..

https://jwtalk.net/profile/261-molnarj/

cat2_e0.gif