JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

NW Scheduler/Publisher - Updates, Support, and Suggestions

8 hours ago, Tortuga said:

In our congregation the Public Talk Coordinator was interested in using it so he asked the COBE to add it to the next BOE meeting agenda. At the meeting the PTC and COBE explained the benefits of the app and as a body we decided to check it out. Each of the elders that could potentially use NWS were given access to it and the opportunity to change anything they wanted so they can see how it works. We are having a meeting today and will discuss NSW/NWP as part of the agenda. This process kept the entire BOE informed and unified. We will discuss any questions or concerns about the program and discuss how it benefits each elder and the congregation. It's a team effort to ensure the most benefit for everyone.

I wasn't going to recommend it until I had fully check it out. When I was convinced I let everybody else know. Everybody is on board now but if they didn't want to use it that was fine too. Didn't bother me either way. The body never discussed me using KHS. The body never discussed whether I can use Microsoft Word to write letters for the body. We don't have to be unified in every little thing we do. And yes I do consider this to be a very small thing. There are a lot more important things we as a body should be discussing. 

11 hours ago, Aja said:

Based on Sfla paragraph 3, I would think you would want to have a conversation with your BoE's. Just a thought. 

Well we already decided to keep the files electronically many years ago.

9 hours ago, carlos said:

NW Scheduler has an option to store the info online so that it can be shared with the rest of appointed brothers. That option of course should be discussed with the rest of the BOE.

I disagree but that is ok. There is nothing stored online that is sensitive or confidential. Maybe S-21 but nobody in the world who might hack it cares about that. And if World Headquarters had a problem with it they would have warned us just like they did regarding talking about confidential things over cells phones back years ago.

I get everybody has an opinion on whether using NWS should be discussed as a body. I gave my opinion and the results. I didn't ruffle any feathers within my own body. Nobody here should care about something my own body doesn't care about. As far I am concerned this is the end of the discussion.

We have been using NW Scheduler for a few months already, and everybody is excited with it. It really eases our work. But now we are merging with another congregation and some of the elders there expressed some doubts about the way the software handles private information.

Their main concerns were two: How safe are publishers' contact data? And also, is there an easy way to remove all the information from the servers quickly in case of need?

I translated for them some sections of the Help that explain those points. The information is broken in small units and then encrypted with a 256-bit key. Only computers which are connected to our congregation and have the right key can decrypt them. The company doesn't have access to those keys or the information. As for deleting the data, the admin just needs to disable Congregation Sharing and all the data in the server will be deleted.

9 minutes ago, Floyd said:

There is nothing stored online that is sensitive or confidential.

I agree about confidential because that refers to judicial proceedings and the like. NW Scheduler doesn't have anything to do with that.

However, I would consider the full name of every publisher with their physical address, email, phone number and emergency contacts sensitive information. I would hesitate to put that online without informing the rest of the body. I understand others may think differently.

1 minute ago, carlos said:

Their main concerns were two: How safe are publishers' contact data? And also, is there an easy way to remove all the information from the servers quickly in case of need?

My answer to that was how much publisher contact information is stored in Google contacts or whatever online contact system you are using. At least NWS encrypts it.

Just now, carlos said:

I agree about confidential because that refers to judicial proceedings and the like. NW Scheduler doesn't have anything to do with that.

However, I would consider the full name of every publisher with their physical address, email, phone number and emergency contacts sensitive information. I would hesitate to put that online without informing the rest of the body. I understand others may think differently.

You already do put it online in other ways and so do most people.

I have contact information stored in my Google contacts. I even have groups created for all publisher and for pioneers and for those in my group and for all the elders and for all the servants. All stored in Google contacts. Most every publisher has most contact information stored in a similar way. And as we found out during the pandemic and writing all those letters contact information is not private.

16 minutes ago, carlos said:

"Their main concerns were two: How safe are publishers' contact data? And also, is there an easy way to remove all the information from the servers quickly in case of need?"

When people ask me that I ask: Do you purchase anything on Amazon? Do you donate online? There is more risk to those activities than NWS.

Yes, you can delete a congregation.

11 hours ago, dvdgarofalo said:

When people ask me that I ask: Do you purchase anything on Amazon? Do you donate online? There is more risk to those activities than NWS.

Yes, of course. I have no issue with NW Scheduler, I am happy with it.

But on the other hand, I when I purchase or pay something online I expose my own data, not those of every publisher in the congregation. :) I understand the cautiousness. For me, the explanation on the Support section of the NW Scheduler site dispels all my concerns.

12 hours ago, carlos said:

I was reminded of the different laws governing Europe and the USA.  Our secretary provides us an updated list every month with contact information with names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, relative/contact persons and so on.  It is distributed electronically every 30 days.  Just normal to us and sent by regular email.  Publisher card info as well.

If anyone is familiar with both Territory Helper and NWS/NWP, can you tell me the advantages and disadvantages of switching from Territory Helper to NWS/NWP?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

9 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

If anyone is familiar with both Territory Helper and NWS/NWP, can you tell me the advantages and disadvantages of switching from Territory Helper to NWS/NWP?

The biggest advantage to me is a cost savings of dedicated funds and consolidating the different things people need to go to for spiritual activities.

The only disadvantage I've seen thus far is with the way NW handles syncing. There's nothing wrong with it per se, it's just that changes on Territory Helper were instantaneous, whereas NW requires pushing and pulling information to and from the main programs. Still relatively quick but not instantaneous.

Overall, we made the switch and I think we're pretty happy with it. It also feels good to know that we are utilizing donated funds as efficiently as possible so that remaining funds can be put to good use elsewhere. 

Edited by Aja

Grammar

6 minutes ago, Aja said:

The biggest advantage to me is a cost savings of dedicated funds and consolidating the different things people need to go to for spiritual activities.

The only disadvantage I've seen thus far is with the way NW handles syncing. There's nothing wrong with it per se, it's just that changes on Territory Helper were instantaneous, whereas NW requires pushing and pulling information to and from the main programs. Still relatively quick but not instantaneous.

Overall, we made the switch and I think we're pretty happy with it. It also feels good to know that we are utilizing donated funds as efficiently as possible so that remaining funds can be put to good use elsewhere. 

Thanks. I think our territory servant is able to assign a territory from Territory Helper from his phone. Does NWS require using the PC to assign territories? Can it be done from a device?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

34 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Thanks. I think our territory servant is able to assign a territory from Territory Helper from his phone. Does NWS require using the PC to assign territories? Can it be done from a device?

At this moment my brother, not yet. The only way I'm able to assign territories while I'm away from my PC is by remoting into it. I'm currently using a free TeamViewer account to accomplish this. Not sure how they would but I suggested to the developers for a way territories to be assigned via NWP perhaps.

34 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

At this moment my brother, not yet. The only way I'm able to assign territories while I'm away from my PC is by remoting into it. I'm currently using a free TeamViewer account to accomplish this. Not sure how they would but I suggested to the developers for a way territories to be assigned via NWP perhaps.

Thank you so much. 

4 hours ago, Tortuga said:

tell me the advantages and disadvantages of switching from Territory Helper to NWS/NWP?

Both programs are about the same as far as creating maps, assigning territories, etc. As noted, right now in NWP, territories must be assigned from NW Scheduler, whereas in Territory Helper they can be assigned from any device. NWP does much better job of managing 'Do Not Call' addresses.

The real power of the NWP system really appears when you add the individual addresses. It takes a little work, but it really helps us work the territory better. (See picture). We can use it like this:

1 - a brother is assigned a territory with "congregation" context. Means everyone in congregation can view the territory on their phone. Or - if he requests "Group" context, only those in his field service group have access to the territory.

2 - as the groups in the territory work the houses, they open the map, and select the house they are calling on. They quickly indicate in real time whether the address is home, not home, do not call, or vacant. They can also submit notes for each address if needed (such as "locked gate", "no trespassing", etc)

3 - the overseer as well as each publisher can see in real time which houses have been worked via the color codes.

4 - next time a group of publishers go into territory, they can easily tell where previous groups left off.

5 - After all the homes have been called on at least twice, the program automatically converts all the Not-Home addresses into a Letter-Writing territory.

This method has helped us greatly increase our success in working the territory thoroughly. And it REALLY helps when we have multiple groups of publishers in the same territory.

NWPTerrAddr.JPG

23 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I also like more the way NW Scheduler handles campaigns. I find managing campaign territories on Territory Helper a bit complicated.

The only advantage, IMO, of TerritoryHelper is that, since it's a web-based app, you can assign or return a territory from any device, which is a lot more practical when you are asked for a territory and you are not home.

However, NW Scheduler developers have stated that they are working to include this functionality in the near future too.

In my experience as territory servant, assigning territories from the Scheduler has not been a problem. Publishers request territories from the app at random times through the day. I import the requests each evening when I am home, and make the assignments. So they typically receive their territory within 12 hours of a request.

Yes, of course, there is always that person who forgot to request their territory until they arrive at the meeting for service... The fact is, they can be invited to work temporarily in another territory with 'Congregation' scope. They will be able to see and mark addresses just as if it were their own territory.

Don't forget - just a few years ago publishers had to wait for a congregation meeting to check out a territory - they learned to think ahead a little.

1 hour ago, foghorn said:

In my experience as territory servant, assigning territories from the Scheduler has not been a problem. Publishers request territories from the app at random times through the day. I import the requests each evening when I am home, and make the assignments. So they typically receive their territory within 12 hours of a request.

Yes, of course, there is always that person who forgot to request their territory until they arrive at the meeting for service... The fact is, they can be invited to work temporarily in another territory with 'Congregation' scope. They will be able to see and mark addresses just as if it were their own territory.

Don't forget - just a few years ago publishers had to wait for a congregation meeting to check out a territory - they learned to think ahead a little.

Thanks. Our Service Overseer uses two MS to assist him and assign territories. They both work so one fills requests for three days a week and the other for four days a week. They assign territories using their devices while they are at work.

The SO will need to change his current arrangement.

2 hours ago, foghorn said:

So they typically receive their territory within 12 hours of a request.

Wouldn’t work in our congregation, too many imperfect forgetful human beings that sms Map Servant 30min before the group LOL 😂 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

On 1/13/2024 at 8:14 PM, carlos said:

NW Scheduler has an option to store the info online so that it can be shared with the rest of appointed brothers.

Dear Carlos, I am not familiar with this app and that I wanted to understand little more about this: If we store the info. online is there any way others can misuse the data of publishers like their contact numbers etc., In SFL regarding disaster preparedness emergency contact details, it says: "Elders should comply with applicable data protection laws when collecting this information." So, would storing info. online (NWS) go against this data protection laws? Since I am not very familiar with this functionalities, I am not sure of this.  Thanks for your expert advice. 

On 1/6/2024 at 12:44 PM, Tortuga said:

I like how the NWS has an option for the Elders (and MS) to see the Publishers Contact information in NWPublisher. Do you think it would it be helpful if there was an option called "Appointed Brothers" so the congregation could see the Elders (and MS) contact information?

We decided to make a PDF with the Elders contact information and post it in the Information Board Documents section for the congregation.

Edited by Tortuga