JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Endoscopy

Anyone here have one done?  

How bad was it?   

My GI doctor wants me to have one to check for Barrett's esophagus.  Apparently that can turn into precancerous or cancerous cells.  

Know that Jehovah is God. He is the one who made us, and we belong to him.

Psalm 100:3

It's interesting that it's called an Endoscopy when they are looking at the beginning and not the end...:whistling:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I have had both also. I didn't think either was to bad. In the US it is done while you are under. But the real question is why do they suspect Barrets? I had it and it was caused by severe heartburn.

If it is severe heartburn, I strongly suggest a procedure called Nissen Fundoplacation. What may cause heartburn is the flap that prevent your stomach acids from backing up in your throat. So they take the top of your stomach and wrap it around under that flap to support it. It stopped the heartburn completely. It is also like a wrap band because it decreases the size of oour stomach. 

BTW if you are taking heartburn meds the are NOT meant to be a long term solution. THEY cause polyps which can eventually become cancerous as well. 

Hope all goess well with you!

Sometimes doctors choose whether to put you to sleep or not.  I tore the skin on my eye and the doctor sewed it up while I was awake using only a local anesthetic.  I have had a pterygium on my eye cut back twice.  The first time it was done I was awake throughout the procedure.  The second time was with a different doctor and I was under the entire time.  This is not about endoscopy but is about the doctor's choices about putting you out for a procedure.

Now about endoscopy.  I have had one endoscopy a long time ago.  I may have been under anesthesia because I do not remember much about it.  I have had 3 (4?) colonoscopies over the years.  In all cases, I was totally out.  On the first one, nothing was found.  That doctor apparently didn't use much air because I did not have to release the air afterward.  On the second one, the doctor found polyps and diverticulitis.  So I had to go back in 5 years because of the polyps.  On the 3rd one the doctor found no polyps or diverticulitis.  My abdomen hurt a lot after that one because I had a lot of air to get out of my system. I guess I was a blowhard.

One thing I was told was not to drive or do much of anything after each colonoscopy, not even pay bills.  The drugs they use to put you out can cause you to make bad decisions (the reason for not paying bills for 24 hours after the surgery).

All in all the procedures were not bad.  Although watching someone come toward my eye with a needle felt very strange.  I just stayed home the day before and the day after the colonoscopy.  I binge-watched videotapes of television programs I had recorded earlier.

On 9/22/2023 at 4:18 AM, Pabo said:

Here in Australia, you will not be release from the hospital after a colonoscopy not until you create some "breeze" after the procedure.

We had a CHR, (community health representative) She was an independent sort. Older. This gal went out to the coast to get a colonoscopy. She intended to drive herself home. The hospital informed her if she got in that car to drives herself home, (a good two hour drive) they would call the cops on her. 
She found someone to get her home. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Well, here I am, scrolling through this thread, when it dawned on me. Come Monday, I’m not having a colonoscopy, but I have the wonderful delight of the same prep they use for colonoscopies. Yes, I will be asleep during my procedure. 
It’s a female-type operation. I will be glad when it is over and done with. Getting old can sometimes be painful. But, for me, it’s correctable. 
Then I move on for the next adventure! 

Some years ago I lost my voice for a month. (Scared my boss 🤣, kept encouraging me to get checked out.)

Wasn’t from a cold or anything like that, throat wasn’t sore. Anyway, went to a doctor that used one of those camera thingies to check my throat, etc. My voice box was swollen. 

Rarely if ever have heartburn.

Diagnosis was Gerd, or acid reflux. 

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

2 hours ago, Loopy said:

Some years ago I lost my voice for a month. (Scared my boss 🤣, kept encouraging me to get checked out.)

Wasn’t from a cold or anything like that, throat wasn’t sore. Anyway, went to a doctor that used one of those camera thingies to check my throat, etc. My voice box was swollen. 

Rarely if ever have heartburn.

Diagnosis was Gerd, or acid reflux. 

That's what I have too.    GERD.   

On 9/22/2023 at 6:33 AM, Your Brother said:

I have had both also. I didn't think either was to bad. In the US it is done while you are under. But the real question is why do they suspect Barrets? I had it and it was caused by severe heartburn.

If it is severe heartburn, I strongly suggest a procedure called Nissen Fundoplacation. What may cause heartburn is the flap that prevent your stomach acids from backing up in your throat. So they take the top of your stomach and wrap it around under that flap to support it. It stopped the heartburn completely. It is also like a wrap band because it decreases the size of oour stomach. 

BTW if you are taking heartburn meds the are NOT meant to be a long term solution. THEY cause polyps which can eventually become cancerous as well. 

Hope all goess well with you!

I've been taking pantoprazole for years.   Recently my doctor changed it to Omeprazole

On 9/24/2023 at 10:21 AM, Your Brother said:

He is still treating a symptom not the issue.

Absolutely!

Oh boy...heartburn.  I know that topic all too well.

On 9/23/2023 at 10:49 PM, Lori said:

I've been taking pantoprazole for years.   Recently my doctor changed it to Omeprazole

Whatever you do....don't google "heartburn medicine kidneys".  Well...actually yes google it.  Those meds are very toxic to kidneys.  I know personally, every time I'm on them for a while, I get incredible kidney pain!

For MOST people, heartburn is actually a lack of acid.  Too little acid = buildup of bacteria = fumes that burn.  You can also cause it by eating too much (might have enough acid, but just eat too much).  We should all eat only a fist-sized portion per meal.  Sounds small, eh?  Well that's how we're supposed to eat.  Also, chewing your food thoroughly is important to avoid heartburn.  The longer it stays in your stomach (trying to breakdown), the more its gonna start rotting from bacteria, and creating those burning fumes.  Chewing helps break it down for your stomach, so it moves on sooner.  Last but not least, try not to drink anything 30 minutes before eating, not much during eating, and if you can, at least an hour after eating.  You don't want to dilute your stomach acid.

If you've had reduced acid for too long, the protective mucus in the stomach may be drying up.  And then other things start to burn, like spicy & acidic foods.  Also, certain things like caffeine actually relax the esophagus valve, so it can actually cause reflux.

It takes time to get off the meds and resolve things naturally.  And it can be a very difficult struggle to do so.  But it is possible....just takes patience, determination, and discipline.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Datsun_120Y said:

A close sister of mine had one recently done and while under vomited 🤢 😲staff hit the emergency button. Had to clean out her lungs and put her on oxygen. All for a simple endoscopy. All good now though. Quick moving staff. 

Did she eat before she had it done?     Because the doctor told me nothing to eat for 8 hours before and nothing to drink for 2 hours before the procedure. 

Well, I moved on to my next adventure. Healing. No surgery is minor, I assure you. Got back to my first in person meeting. (I was sitting gingerly, I tell you) 

We had the best talk. The sister and I got those bad giggles, I mean, bad, over an illustration of, “teaching pigs to fly”. The brother said he had to ignore us, or…

I’m just grateful I got this surgery. I’m not getting any younger, yet. 
And it looks like I will need to drive myself to the doctor tomorrow. We have a new dog. Or should I say my husband has a new dog!
Life. I’m loving it.

On 9/16/2023 at 2:01 AM, Miss Bea said:

Endoscopy, easy as a breeze. Colonoscopy, not so.

Agree with that. My husband has had the endoscopy. We both have had the colonoscopy. I never want to do that again 🥺

Dance. Even if there's no music. 

Dance Dancing GIF by binibambini