JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Your longest drive that you completed quickly

I drove from Grand Rapids, Michigan to Portland, Oregon in 41 hours. The mileage was 2,282 miles / 3 673 km. We encountered every type of weather. The worst part was in Nebraska where we encountered and incredibly powerful thunderstorm. In Wyoming we hit a strong rain storm that made us pull over for awhile. Then as we got near Boise, Idaho we had a hail storm that left around 4-6 inches. The day we got into Portland our weather was over 100 degrees, which was unusual in early June. Now, I cannot even drive more than 20 minutes without needing to stretch for about 10 minutes. It makes travel really slow. 

data=lYG9gbjLsPsiznbNvpqfc6lir3yfZdMLPwcuSaxR3BHtOnpH5TeuaIlcGaKnS7NQrYrUMkwzpNVFB7gOSxutxN1-u91rMQyC0-lH7hJwLvEAiJ2jXgi-06ZcLdWH3MTXi6gu2KiD1noCrz0axnA5kozJ6oiCXhpw1tylNflQPBs8YQ,j9FByQruCUm-K-4u2GHoQ7whT9kUuVdXt6 map MAP.jpg

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

1 minute ago, Ishaya said:

Why would you need to do such fast driving? Just for fun?

Fun? No. It was just my choice. I wanted to get the drive over. Once we hit Wyoming it was pretty much the best part.

"Your longest drive that you completed quickly"

I don't golf...🤣

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Not sure if this was my longest or fastest ... but I was driving the speed limit the whole way - 70 MPH

I took over driving just as we were leaving Ft Worth, and I drove straight through to Jacksonville - only stopping for gas/restroom and snacks at single stops. Much of this drive was through the night. To say the least, I was quite tired when we got back to Jacksonville.

image.thumb.png.ed740f94069d8be17b4bc3fb20ad1999.png

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I did this drive in two days.   Started out on the 23rd of June, and arrived at the hotel in Blue Earth, MN on the 25th of June.  We were visiting Brooklyn Bethel before it closed in 2016.  I was so excited I couldn't sleep, so I drove all night.  Montana was pretty much 85-90 the whole way. We even stopped for lunch in Sheridan and met some witnesses in Hardees because it was a Saturday at around 11:30AM.  As they walked by the car, I said, "Dress clothes, check".  Also the fact that my wife hadn't come out in 35 minutes 😆.  I told her I was gonna wait in the car.  We stopped in Blue Earth because she wasn't going to let me drive overnight again.  I made it to Lumberton, NJ by the 27th.  A sister that we knew on Facebook and gave advice to on how to deal with her abusive and opposed ex-husband opened her house up to us to stay for the two weeks we were there.  It was an amazing facebook meetup.  Several friends from central NJ, a sister from Queens, sister from northern NY, a family from northwest NY, and another family from Maryland all met, and we had a great time.  We were supposed to visit a couple of families in Nova Scotia, but, after that trip, we didn't have it in us to "drive half way to Europe".  

Screenshot2023-09-29234730.thumb.png.53897de78e9d0b268d5b0262654319b2.png

Back in the 1980s, I was wanting a new job.  The coal-refining pilot plant wasn't about to be shut down.  I heard about some postal jobs in Florida.  I was planning to get up and leave early on Tuesday Morning, but a situation at my job caused me to work from 2 PM on Monday to 6 AM on Tuesday.  I thought I would just cancel my plans and go to sleep.  When I woke up Tuesday afternoon, I went to get gas in my car.  While pumping gas I decided to go on the trip anyway.  I loaded up the family and started driving at about 6 PM. I was in Tampa Florida (over 500 miles away)  shortly after midnight and stopped for gas again.  I put in applications at several post offices around Punta Gordo, Fort Myers, etc.  I drove across Alligator Alley and put in some applications on the East Coast.  Then I headed home.  By the time I got home, I had driven about 2300 miles in 36 hours.

My wife wanted to go see our grandsons. Their mother had moved them to Bremerton, Washington.  We lived just East of Atlanta Georgia about 40 miles.  We left at around 5 PM.  We (She) drove all night only stopping at rest stops along the way (which I never felt were very safe at night).  I never slept, even at those rest stops and I am not sure if my wife did. We ended up going over 2700 miles in about 38 hours, mostly on interstates.  She broke my record which had stood for about 30 years.

I used to deliver a free paper once each month. This is the perimeter of the area I delivered to. In addition to the perimeter, I also delivered to many of the small towns inside the perimeter. In all, I covered 1500 miles in 3½ days and had 325 stops where I left the papers.

image.png.58efcee701db1c87e86273d09843c6ce.png

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

9 hours ago, coolbrz731 said:

visiting Brooklyn Bethel

I'm trying to remember the term that Bethelites used for long trips in a short time.  A brother talked about going from New York to Ohio in a short time just to see a sister. This was in the days before video/internet communication. Anyone who served at Bethel remember the name for this?