JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

NW translation bible collection

We have in our collection a number of bibles we use for our personal and congregation use. There are: NWT study edition (online); 2013 NWT bible (grey leather); 1984 Bi12 (before 2013, but useful for appendix and text comparisons); Byington translation (1972); Matthew-Acts Study bible nwtsty1; Kingdom Interlinear translation; NWT Reference bible Rbi8.There are some surprising differences in these and they are very helpful study aids. How many of these do you brothers and sisters use. It would be interesting to know, and maybe add to our range of study material.

This is true John, and great to meet you. Not many of the variations get used so often, now that we have a good selection in Online Library, including we also have now a Greek version of the Hebrew scriptures and a Hebrew version of the CGT, as well as the time honoured KIT. Just wondering how many scholarly types are on the forum to maybe interchange on the scriptures.

Brandon, hi nice to meet you. Yes, the New English Translation is an interesting version of the scriptures. It is classed as a Dynamic Equivalent version, so has a little more latitude in representing the verse structures. There are problems with this, though, as in John 1:18 where this translation supports the trinity.  I guess we just have to be careful in the way we use other translations of the bible.

1 hour ago, Mike047 said:

as in John 1:18

What I really like are the footnotes in the NET. The footnote on “The only God” here shows that the translators also had to consider rendering it “unique one” or “unique son” and that there was just one letter different, and described their reasoning for it in grammar.

I agree, there is no perfect translation, but I really like the insight into the minds of the translators.

Brandon you make a very good point, and footnotes are often a help in understanding where the translator is endeavouring to handle the text. Sometimes, in the ministry, we come across those using paraphrase type translations, such as Ken Taylor's Living Bible or the revised and updated New Living Translation. We sometimes have them coming up to the litcart in Bournemouth seeking to accost the brothers and sisters. Usually they come from Morelands Bible College in Christchurch.  We are thankful that NWT is of the best quality and helps us all to get the sense of the scriptures. How many translations do you use?

John, you have a fine interlinear there in Jay Green Sr's Hebrew-Greek-English Interlinear. It's certainly useful for the Hebrew verses, but the small print has become a challenge for me now! Kohlenberger's Hebrew-English Old Testament is also a useful tool. Do you have a library of bible translations and/or some bible software?

Brandon, your question is one that many of us have asked. I have done some work on this and found some interesting points. A quote: :” The removal of the Tetragrammaton (Jehovah) from the New Testament and its replacement with the surrogates KYRIOS and THEOS blurred the original distinction between the Lord God and the Lord Christ, and in many passages made it impossible which one was meant. As time went on…it was often impossible to distinguish between them. Thus it may be that the removal of the Tetragrammaton (Jehovah) contributed significantly to the later…Trinity “ – George Howard, Bible Scholar ; The Name of God in the New Testament, BAR 4.1 (March 1978), p. 15. Also: 1.    :” In the first two centuries nearly all the various readings of the New Testament came into existence, the majority of them by deliberate alteration of the text…in the interests of (the trinity) dogma…” -the Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics; The Bible in the Church. It is interesting to check the 'J' references in appendix C4, where there are now 325 sources for the inclusion of the tetragram in the Greek text. Check them out, you will find them helpful.

Mike047

The NWT in its various editions and formats is an excellent resource for our use in the ministry and personal study and it represents biblical scholarship at its finest enabling one to ably defend its many fine renderings of both Hebrew and Greek. What I find most fascinating is the manner in which it treats the verbs in both of these original languages as to the subject of aspect as well as to their tense. Aspect in contrast to tense is a  most difficult area in the study of philology and linguistics and is not adequately treated by the majority of translations as it has only come into vogue from the pioneering work of K.L. Mc Kay from 1965 to 1994 subsequently followed by the scholarship of Stanley Porter and Buist Fanning. Thus, for the study of New Testament Greek with respect to the Greek verb it is recognized that there is tense, Aktionsart and aspect which simply refers to 'viewpoint' which can either be the action inside or outside that of the main verb. The NWT traditionally has always given a greater focus on the verb in both Hebrew and Greek.

scholar JW emeritus

47 minutes ago, Mike047 said:

, sometimes in the ministry, we come across those using paraphrase type translations, such as Ken Taylor's Living

I actually like this translation, it uses Jehovah's name more than some others in the Hebrew scriptures. For example, as well as in PSM 83:18, in PSM 84:8 &11. 

Yes it's a paraphrased translation, but it's worth knowing it because many in the territory have it, especially in some of the Pentecostal churches here, so they are very surprised when you should show them God's name in their own bible.

It's a pity it doesn't have God's name in the Christian Greek scriptures, but it's still a nice translation we can work with when someone produces it on the doors.

53 minutes ago, Mike047 said:

John, you have a fine interlinear there in Jay Green Sr's Hebrew-Greek-English Interlinear. It's certainly useful for the Hebrew verses, but the small print has become a challenge for me now! Kohlenberger's Hebrew-English Old Testament is also a useful tool. Do you have a library of bible translations and/or some bible software?

The one volume printed edition of Green's Interlinear is pretty small print.  I have the PDF version for digital display.  I can make the print any size I want.'

To answer you question about my library, I have about 30 different translations plus a dozen or more NWT / Watchtower versions.

4 minutes ago, Roberto Flores said:

i need the first edition of NWT with references

Those are in volumes:  Hebrew Scriptures, Vols. 1-5 and Christian Greek Scriptures 1 Vol.  Are you looking for a complete set? Or?

"Where the scriptures and and the slave are silent, I do not speak." :bible2:

5 hours ago, Watching and Waiting said:

Those are in volumes:  Hebrew Scriptures, Vols. 1-5 and Christian Greek Scriptures 1 Vol.  Are you looking for a complete set? Or?

The 1950 first edition of the Christian Greek Scriptures was updated on 1951 so having one of the Greek Scripture volumes may or may not be the "first".

nwt1.JPG

NWT2.jpeg

JWHESS,

What a great step it was to produce a translation that restored Jehovah's name in the CGS! It certainly would have been a restoration and not an insertion, because surely the original MSS would have followed the ages old traditions in accurately relaying the message of God. Interestingly, this first version of the NWT Greek text is the only one I know of that had a dramatically different presentation of Matt 24:14.

Roberto Flores,

Hi, We originally had a complete version of the whole 6 volumes. It was known as the students bible, and was first issued in 1963. It is a very large tome, but was a must for any bible study, if you could get a copy. Nowadays, you might find one on eBay or, if you are surrounded by second-hand book shops......

13 hours ago, Brandon said:

Does anyone know of any mainstream english bibles that use Jehovah (or YHWH) in the Greek/New Testament? even if just a few places. 

The NWT appendix lists many English translations (marked by a pink/purple circle) that use a form of the divine name in the NT.

As for 'mainstream' English translations, i.e. the ones commonly used in churches, there are monetary reasons for not using God's name in the OT, much less the NT. Still, you can find God's name in it's shortened form "Jah" within the term "Hallelujah" (literally, "praise Jah") in even the most mainstream English translations at Revelation 19:1,3,4,6. Here's Revelation 19 in the NIV, for example.

Just stop it.Romans 12:2

Ludwika,

You make a very good point about being able to show someone from their own bible that the name of God is important. In the Hebrew scriptures This translation has some good features, as you say, including the use of God's name. From a trinitarian's standpoint, however, because the name is linked to both the father and the son, it becomes difficult to use the LB translation with its strong bias which misrepresents the Greek text. It is true, though, that many older ones were weaned on the KJV which had at 1John 5:7 "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one", so even incorrect  or added verses cannot prevent the truth from shining through. 

Brandon,

Regarding the use of God's name, Jehovah, in the Christian Greek Scriptures, you may also like to download a copy of: “The Use of the Name (YHWH) by Early Christians” – G. Gertoux. He makes some interesting points based on his research on what information is available, I believe for his PhD dissertation.