JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Language in the Paradise

Do you think that in the first years of paradise (before we only speak 1 language again like at the beginning of history) we'll be able to speak a new language through some kind of miracle like at Pentecost or do you think we'll need to learn different languages like we do now? If we do need to learn new languages like we do now, it would probably be much easier since our brains will become more perfect.

Just now, Dages said:

I hope for miraculous intervention BUT also the ability to read/understand all kind of languages :D because my JW LIB notes in French would be weird if I'm only Paradise Hebrew then :D 

Jehovah can switch them into new language at the same time (when switching our brain ..)

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

13 hours ago, Pikachu said:

Do you think that in the first years of paradise (before we only speak 1 language again like at the beginning of history) we'll be able to speak a new language through some kind of miracle like at Pentecost or do you think we'll need to learn different languages like we do now? If we do need to learn new languages like we do now, it would probably be much easier since our brains will become more perfect.

I think before the resurrection we'll still have our languages. When we go to preach to the resurrected, some may be from completely dead languages, unknown to us. For example, I live in Brazil, and here were countless indigenous peoples. Some of these the language was more famous, but what about the oldest ones? We don't have records, we don't know them, we aren't able to study them. My guess is, the resurrection has begun, the swith is flicked.

(Be careful! The above comment came from a suspicious source, a 20 year old. There's a risk that he is being: Idiot, reckless or stupid)

3 hours ago, Sete said:

I think before the resurrection we'll still have our languages. When we go to preach to the resurrected, some may be from completely dead languages, unknown to us. For example, I live in Brazil, and here were countless indigenous peoples. Some of these the language was more famous, but what about the oldest ones? We don't have records, we don't know them, we aren't able to study them. My guess is, the resurrection has begun, the swith is flicked.

Quick google search gave me following information: 

Currently, there are 573 known extinct languages. These are languages that are no longer spoken or studied. Many were local dialects with no records of their alphabet or wording, and so are forever lost. Others were major languages of their time.

I agree that resurrection will automatically include a new pattern of a language spoken in Paradise. Jehovah is not going to introduce a new “Babel” where confusion rules.
One perfect language spoken by all is the only logical explanation to me. Not learned, but changed in the instant, so we can understand and feel it as a new mother language. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I think we will all speak Australian mate!

Or igpay atinlay 🤣

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, New World Explorer said:

Quick google search gave me following information: 

Currently, there are 573 known extinct languages. These are languages that are no longer spoken or studied. Many were local dialects with no records of their alphabet or wording, and so are forever lost. Others were major languages of their time.

I agree that resurrection will automatically include a new pattern of a language spoken in Paradise. Jehovah is not going to introduce a new “Babel” where confusion rules.
One perfect language spoken by all is the only logical explanation to me. Not learned, but changed in the instant, so we can understand and feel it as a new mother language. 

great and the English language can be 574 losted  language

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

I think we will all speak Australian mate!

Or igpay atinlay 🤣

I did not want to include that in my comment,  as it has potential to create controversy, but I am happy that you clearly understand where language of Paradise is going … LOL 😂 

New Australian paradise language will be definitely amazingly bonzer…..yep, bonzer. :lol1:

I tend to think that, if we are all going to speak one language, it will not only be automatic (like was done at Babel) but that it will be a language never before spoken ... not one from this system ... not even the one Adam spoke.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

23 minutes ago, Qapla said:

but that it will be a language never before spoken … not one from this system ... not even the one Adam spoke.

I am not opposing your view, but I meditated on this long time in the past.

When Jehovah originally created Eden, and eventually Adam and Eve, he had perfect language ready for them.

Then...Satan the looser comes, and trashes everything to the ground.

Why would Jehovah allow Satan the looser to dislodge his original language that he obviously designed to be eventually spoken by whole mankind? (if Adam obeyed) 

I recon Jehovah will restore original Edenic language, thus thwarting everything that Satan intended to destroy.

I see victory over Satan even in those minor matters. 

I could be wrong though. I allow in my mind for a new perspective on those matters.☺️

The original garden the Jehovah placed Adam in is long gone and will never be expanded to fill the earth - but the earth will still be a paradise ... I see the language issue the same way. 

Revelation 21:5 tells us, “Look! I am making all things new" - Evidently, Jehovah does not consider His making things new as a loss to Satan.

16 minutes ago, Qapla said:

The original garden the Jehovah placed Adam in is long gone and will never be expanded to fill the earth - but the earth will still be a paradise ... I see the language issue the same way. 

Revelation 21:5 tells us, “Look! I am making all things new" - Evidently, Jehovah does not consider His making things new as a loss to Satan.

We will still have the same trees, flowers and animals that were in the Garden, why wouldn't Jehovah give us the same language too?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

9 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

We will still have the same trees, flowers and animals that were in the Garden, why wouldn't Jehovah give us the same language too?

Good point that really adds to the discussion. 

So it appears that reference to "all things new" is relative. 

Never thought about that scripture in this way. Thank you. 

15 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

We will still have the same trees, flowers and animals that were in the Garden

I didn't realize any of the trees from the garden survived the flood and are still alive today ... let alone any of the animals

Think about it:

English is a perfect language .......................................................................

.......................................................................................... except for all the exceptions

I personally like linguistic diversity; linguistics is one of casual interests. The language a person speaks is a big part of their identity/self, and some linguists even say that language shapes its speakers' thoughts (see Sapir-Whorf hypothesis). Loss of language/dialect diversity has historically been associated with genocides, globalism, forced assimilation... not very good things. But even after all of that, we still have thousands of languages and dialects spoken across the world, and to be completely honest, I'd be sad to see that diversity disappear. 
However, I know for a fact that any change Jehovah makes will always be for the better, so whatever changes will have to be made in the New System, I will accept.

Btw, here's the article from which I know for sure that we will all be speaking the same language: https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1974043#h=24

Edited by Prism

4 hours ago, Prism said:

here's the article from which I know for sure that we will all be speaking the same language: https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1974043#h=24

This speaking of one literal language will be the finishing touch to the unity brought about by the “pure language” of truth—beautifully so! All religious, national, social and racial barriers will be things of the past, and, additionally, with one vocabulary all will be able to express their thoughts fully and be understood accurately. Think also of being able to read for yourself exactly what the Hebrew prophets wrote—in their own language! The many resurrected ones who did not previously know God will find that the inspired Scriptures give an accurate account of human history down to the days of the prophet Malachi. Then the honesthearted ones will be able to say, as did the apostle Paul: “Let God be found true, though every man be found a liar.”—Rom. 3:4.

Interesting speculation that we will use ancient Hebrew and be able to read the original text of the Hebrew scriptures.

• 3 months later...

1. If Jehovah provided for different languages, why did he not do this when Adam and Eve had children?

2. We know the reason for the emergence of new languages. Genesis 11:1-9. Jehovah prevented Satan's plan from being carried out by humans.

3. Heavenly creatures (angels) do not speak different languages. This is not written anywhere in the Bible. Job 38:7; Isaiah 6:3; Revelation 4:11, 11:15, 15:3.

4. Paul theorizes about one point in 1 Corinthians 13:8 where it says, “the gift of speaking in tongues will disappear.” Of course, we know what we are talking about here - the gifts of sharing the good news with the Gentiles around the world. This gift was lost then; why would it be needed in the New World?

5. When Jehovah created his creations, he wanted everyone to be united into one family. Ephesians 3:14, 15. Ephesians 1:10, Paul is speaking here of anointed Christians, but this shows Jehovah's purpose for all creation. Does your family speak different languages to communicate between you?

6. Language, if we consider the entire history of people, is constantly progressing and does not stand still. As people progress, new words appear. This means that it is possible that throughout our eternal life we will also have new words. Why translate them into other languages?

7. Not economically profitable! There is meaning in different languages, if you can have one language. And besides, if we all understand all the languages \u200b\u200bthat will exist at that time (New World), maybe it would be better to simplify, as it was in the beginning?

8. Language helps develop mental abilities. Yes, that's a fact! Doctors recommend. Parents encourage children to learn different languages. Educational institutions also encourage this. But if you look at the purpose of all this, the root is that it opens the way to communication, since we do not understand others who speak different languages. I am now communicating with all of you through a translator and this creates difficulties for me, if we spoke the same language it would be much easier!

Time will tell, we will wait for the New World. Jehovah knows best what is good for us. 😎

Edited by Andrey