JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2023 Governing Body Update #8 / BEARDS!!!

21 minutes ago, Cool Cat said:

Well, if we’ve been promoting our own opinion on this subject, contradicting the guidance from the organization, have we been promoting unity? Have we helped the brotherhood to be “completely united . . . in the same line of thought”? Clearly not. Any who’ve done so need to adjust their thinking and attitude.

If that was us we are encouraged to change our view.

Ah, but see, that wasn't me. If you look back in those previous posts I linked to, I said I had no problem with the expectation that appointed men be clean shaven. 

Remember, there never was a "no beard" rule for everyday publishers, but it was taboo. We've had bearded publishers on the school and out in the ministry in my area for years and years, though they sometimes had to deal with snide comments from friends who had strong feelings. Brother Lett mentioned people with such feelings, and how they should listen to Jesus when he said "stop judging by the outward appearance". And with that, the taboo has been lifted.

29 minutes ago, Cool Cat said:

It is great that many people have patiently waited for this change without being critical of Elders and Elder bodies who found it hard to accept beards. :beard:

Well stated 😉

CarnivoreTalk.com - my health coaching website. youtube.png/@CarnivoreTalk - My latest YouTube project

Imagine if the clarification came during the 70s we would all be looking like Elvis! I’m not sure if Elvis had a beard.

IMG_3947.jpeg

"Laughter cannot mask a heavy heart. When the laughter ends, the grief remains."-Proverbs 14:13 Living Bible Translation

1 hour ago, Brother_Bliss said:

Simliar circumstances here. Former brother anti-beard nazi suddenly seemed to be complimenting about the 6 or 7 of us who showed up with facial hair. Almost like magic, lol.

That's a good sign. It shows he was following direction before and not just pushing his own viewpoint. 💜

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

addition to the part read to the congregation, the elders received a full page of reminders and instructions (plus a little 'stern' counsel).  We hope the elders will embrace and apply the directions.

An elder in his 70s was checking in my wife and I today. I told him I have physical problems including the ability to shave. I sent him a photo of me just before I had bladder cancer surgery with my beard. He replied “looking good my brother. 

IMG_3949.jpeg

IMG_3948.jpeg

"Laughter cannot mask a heavy heart. When the laughter ends, the grief remains."-Proverbs 14:13 Living Bible Translation

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

We must remember that our reactions should represent the unity and obedience, loyalty and submission required of faithful servants.  We will continue to progress according to the will of God and Christ.  We will not be ahead of the chariot nor will we lag behind.

Even if we thought nothing was wrong with beards many years ago we still cannot say we were right because the timing wasn't right. 

20 minutes ago, DancesWithWife said:

An elder in his 70s was checking in my wife and I today. I told him I have physical problems including the ability to shave. I sent him a photo of me just before I had bladder cancer surgery with my beard. He replied “looking good my brother. 

IMG_3949.jpeg

IMG_3948.jpeg

You have brother Lett’s eyes 🤣🤣🤣

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Even if we thought nothing was wrong with beards many years ago we still cannot say we were right because the timing wasn't right. 

To a point perhaps but to say the Scriptures did not support arguments against beards was right. The great wisdom in this is where the scriptures are silent so are we.

Will pantsuits be next? 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

18 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

I thought I would grow one over night ! 🤣

20231217_172432.jpg

Nice try!

Now try the goatee effect...🤣

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

called an elder and asked if a 5 o'clock shadow is ok as it is technically a "beard" or if you cant have it in a preliminary full beard stage...he said "i dont know anything about all that "preliminary stuff ryan, but facial hair kept clean looking is fine" haha

I look really nice with the 5 o'clock shadow (maybe a little more but NOT a full grown beard as i really dislike full beards)...needless to say i was 1 of 10 brothers who are growing facial hair at the congregation i attend of 132 pubs

Im thrilled i wont have to shave some meetings and thats a HUGE time saver for me

Unfortunately I can’t really grow a good beard, despite me being in my early/mid thirties. It is just kind of a neck beard, I was almost thinking of showing it today (but I had to work today) plus my parents told me it doesn’t look good, that I should shave it (which I did) they said it just makes me look scraggly, it’s thin and kind of patchy. 

I did grow a mustache last November/December though and did it again this year and was actually thicker this year.

1 hour ago, sully313 said:

Im thrilled i wont have to shave some meetings and thats a HUGE time saver for me

I see you are in SE Michigan; a lot of our brothers will appreciate the extra warmth on the face. I lived in Kalamazoo, Paw Paw, and Grand Rapids. 

On 12/15/2023 at 11:57 PM, *Jack* said:

I don’t think the sisters really understand how happy this makes some of us brothers. Imagine if you had to wear short hair or couldn’t wear makeup for decades. Especially when you thought the opposite made you look more feminine. Then imaging hearing the news that you now can. That’s how some of us brothers feel 😁

Edit: I’m not saying short hair and no makeup aren’t feminine. I love short hair on a woman with the right head shape and a woman that wears little or no makeup. I’m just saying generally speaking, many women seem to find long hair and tastefully applied makeup to be a feminine look. Many men find beards to be a masculine look.

Imagine how sisters would feel if we never had to pick up a razor again…

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

4 hours ago, Tortuga said:

What do you think? Should I keep it?

Screenshot_20231217_181911.thumb.jpg.a0a2e9496d6d25977185f03bb76b2d3b.jpg

Maybe .. but only after the 25th!!!! 

I asked an elder if he was going to grow a beard and he said: "Nah, people might confuse me with Jesus!"

In NZ no letter either, but was eluded to during the wt.

*** Walks away singing: "Let it grow, let it grow ..." 🎶 🎵 

Screenshot_20231218_190847_YouTube.jpg

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."