JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Beard Care December 2023

Okay!  Lets get into proper beard care. I grew a beard 3 years ago. I took massive heat for it , lets leave it at that. I shaved it eventually. And now, it is allowed . Heres are some things I learned. 

1 - Beards are more maintenance than shaving.  I am pro- beard. But lets be honest...I have been on both sides. Shaving is easier. 

2 - I am in my mid 40s. I have gray in my  beard. "Just for men" aka chemical beard dyes... gave me  a massive rash. I eventually  found a natural dye called "Grizzly Mountain". It is on Amazon. It is basically mud that you put on your face. It oxidizes the hair folicals. They will turn the beard hair green and then it turns brown after a few hours. No rash- and way more natural looking as the hairs will be different shades of color as they absorb at a different rate. Im sure there are different brands that do the same thing. Thats just the one I found. 

3- Chemical dyes will make your beard look like you are  a cartoon character because all the hair will be uniform. . I know. Because I was called a cartoon character. 

4 - You have to go through an ugly stage. All your beard hair will not grow at the same rate. You will be patchy. Hold the course. Eventually those pesky slow growers will catch up and it will be nice and even. It may take a month or two. 

5- Brothers and sisters will have opinions and make comments. It is what it is. You will have to figure out if it looks good or just doesn't work. On some people a  moustache looks good. Others it doesn't. Some beards look good others  dont. 

6 - Do NOT  take the initial reactions that you look horrible...it isn't true. Whats happening is they are just  not used to it. I have been told that a beard makes me look old. Okay cool ,  Im fine with that. 

If  6  months from now you are still having people tell you that you look bad with a beard....then it may be time to rethink it. 

7-You will look absolutely ridiculous dying your beard. . 

Hope this helps. Love-

Brother Tom in Texas. 

Edited by Tsheppar

4 minutes ago, Tsheppar said:

Okay!  Lets get into proper beard care. I grew a beard 3 years ago. I took massive heat for it , lets leave it at that. I shaved it eventually. And now, it is allowed . Heres are some things I learned. 

1 - Beards are more maintenance than shaving.  I am pro- beard. But lets be honest...I have been on both sides. Shaving is easier. 

2 - I am in my mid 40s. I have gray in my  beard. "Just for men" aka chemical beard dyes... gave me  a massive rash. I eventually  found a natural dye called "Grizzly Mountain". It is on Amazon. It is basically mud that you put on your face. It oxidizes the hair folicals. They will turn the beard hair green and then it turns brown after a few hours. No rash- and way more natural looking as the hairs will be different shades of color as they absorb at a different rate. Im sure there are different brands that do the same thing. Thats just the one I found. 

3- Chemical dyes will make your beard look like you are  a cartoon character because all the hair will be uniform. . I know. Because I was called a cartoon character. 

4 - You have to go through an ugly stage. All your beard hair will not grow at the same rate. You will be patchy. Hold the course. Eventually those pesky slow growers will catch up and it will be nice and even. It may take a month or two. 

5- Brothers and sisters will have opinions and make comments. It is what it is. You will have to figure out if it looks good or just doesn't work. On some people a  moustache looks good. Others it doesn't. Some beards look good others  dont. 

6 - Do NOT  take the initial reactions that you look horrible...it isn't true. Whats happening is they are just  not used to it. I have been told that a beard makes me look old. Okay cool ,  Im fine with that. 

If  6  months from now you are still having people tell you that you look bad with a beard....then it may be time to rethink it. 

7-You will look absolutely ridiculous dying your beard. . 

Hope this helps. Love-

Brother Tom in Texas. 

Thanks for this update bro

Its permanently colored...until the hair grows out and needs recolored. I cant remember exactly , but seems like I had to do it about every 2 weeks. The mud like stuff only has to be in beard hairs for 15 minutes. Then its washed out and done. Hairs are stained brown.  You pick the level of color light brown, dark brown , black. 

Edited by Tsheppar

21 hours ago, Tsheppar said:

You have to go through an ugly stage

I have been going through that my whole life! I have some scars that will now be covered. 

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

23 hours ago, Tsheppar said:

have gray in my  beard. "Just for men" aka chemical beard dyes... gave me  a massive rash. I eventually  found a natural dye called "Grizzly Mountain". It is on Amazon. It is basically mud that you put on your face. It oxidizes the hair folicals. They will turn the beard hair green and then it turns brown after a few hours. No rash- and way more natural looking as the hairs will be different shades of color as they absorb at a different rate. Im sure there are different brands that do the same thing. Thats just the one I found. 

Have you heard of hair dye pens? It can be a quicker alternative, since you only have intermittent pieces you want to cover up. Keeps it maybe more natural looking:

https://www.amazon.com/gowwim-Semi-permanent-Coloring-Haircolor-Touch-Up/dp/B08NTD22S3/ref=sr_1_8?crid=36F2QYNFGCC21&keywords=dye+hair+touch+up+brown&qid=1702876673&sprefix=dye+hair+touch+up+brown%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-8

https://www.amazon.com/Gray-Away-Womens-Everpro-Quick/dp/B079669VHB/ref=sr_1_7?crid=36F2QYNFGCC21&keywords=dye+hair+touch+up+brown&qid=1702876673&sprefix=dye+hair+touch+up+brown%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-7

This one is a powder:

https://www.amazon.com/Medium-Powder-powder-hairline-instant/dp/B0CB853LK9/ref=sr_1_10?crid=36F2QYNFGCC21&keywords=dye+hair+touch+up+brown&qid=1702876673&sprefix=dye+hair+touch+up+brown%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-10

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

Thanks for the info everyone.  Now I need to research how to grow a thicker beard on the cheeks.

What if we read in the news - "Financial experts are confused and investigating the sudden massive spike in sales of beard trimming equipment worldwide which started in Mid December 2023.  Record sales reported, more to come."

Edited by Desert Dan

I had not heard of the dye pens. Thats is a FANTASTIC tip ! That may work for me as I have two gray streaks on my chin. I will look into it.  Thankyou! 

Also , something that was not obvious to me but probably will be to most other people... Was that even with a beard , I did have to shave the edges. Otherwise I began to look like a mountain man. 

I have to shave on my cheeks and create a line. Then on the lower beard down around the neck. Same thing. Shave a line. It seems to help keep  things looking neat. At least for me it did/does , especially in the early stages on beard growth. 

And when your beard gets longer, it will take minimal trimming to make a difference. In other words a little bit of trim goes a long ways. 

If there are any other bearded wonders out there. Please chime in. We are all newbies here. Tips do help.

Edited by Tsheppar

I had not heard of the dye pens. Thats is a FANTASTIC tip ! That may work for me as I have two gray streaks on my chin. I will look into it.  Thankyou! 

Also , something that was not obvious to me but probably will be to most other people... Was that even with a beard , I did have to shave the edges. Otherwise I began to look like a mountain man. 
 I have to shave on my cheeks and create a line. Then on the lower beard down around the neck. Same thing. Shave a line. It seems to help keep  things looking neat. At least for me it did/does , especially in the early stages on beard growth. 
 And when your beard gets longer, it will take minimal trimming to make a difference. In other words a little bit of trim goes a long ways. 
 If there are any other bearded wonders out there. Please chime in. We are all newbies here. Tips do help.

So what I did yesterday, after growing it for about a week, is i went to my barber for a haircut and had them trim my beard with the straight razor so moving forward I can have some clear edges/lines to use when shaving myself. I cannot stand my neck not being shaved when wearing a collared shirt so my aim is for this (and no that’s not me ):

0e2a04c3be986a500811aabdda5b862d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you put a little pure coconut oil on your beard it will help to soften the hairs especially those new ones so they lay down a bit more and won't be so itchy for you. And your wifey will appreciate it more.

Instructions- Apply oil over entire beard area get it down to the skin. Leave it on for 2 - 3 hours and then wash off. Simple

I will usually do in the afternoon and then wash off in my nightly shower.

On 12/23/2023 at 10:45 PM, Cheeks said:

So what I did yesterday, after growing it for about a week, is i went to my barber for a haircut and had them trim my beard with the straight razor so moving forward I can have some clear edges/lines to use when shaving myself. I cannot stand my neck not being shaved when wearing a collared shirt so my aim is for this (and no that’s not me emoji12.png😞

0e2a04c3be986a500811aabdda5b862d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a look I can appreciate.
Right now a lot of beards I see growing are very scraggly looking. But I am giving all a chance to grow in and learn beard care. Because right now with the way things look, a lot of brothers would look better best shaven. lol 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

Posted (edited)

Okay.New Rule. I love making  rules. Not. Lol

If someone posts a picture and then another person zooms on on the photo and makes a comment.. . Then that person who did the zoom in  has to post a photo of themselves for others to zoom in on. Come on man ! Dont do that. Hahhahhahahha!!!

Its like..im a pool boy. I clean pools for a living. And when im there, cleaning that pool. Somebody always has to walk out an tell me..Hey buddy! You missed leaf !🤣

Brother JkentBZ , your beard looks awesome man. 

Edited by Tsheppar