JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I'm trying to understand all this.So we should not have jwreader?

I'm not familiar with jwreader but this seems it will be the end for lots of apps.

I don't have a problem with this. I've seen a lot of apps that just seem to be web wrappers for JW.org and don't really offer any/much additional functionality.

Apps like Equipd, which I use a lot, can still survive if they shift their primary function to that of an eBook reader, like iBooks.

The only difference would be not having automatic downloading and caching of publications. A user would visit JW.org and download each specific publication. The same goes for the Bible. The Society publish just about everything in ePub format so that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Anything cached from WOL will have to go though.

I could be wrong though.

I use Equipd in the Ministry for showing multiple verses in both the NWT and the KJV, and in multiple languages. Hopefully the official app will add those features soon.

Unless I am reading it wrong, the new "terms of use" posted today on jw.org, may prevent Equipd from accessing anything from the WOL in the future.

http://www.jw.org/apps/index.html?option=YRTNYGRsZF&txtCMSLang=E

Hopefully this will be answered here soon   ...  https://www.facebook.com/equipd.me

my guess JWLibrary will have a Major update very soon.

Edited by timpin

I think this is pretty explicit :

Personal use would be for you to copy the contents of wol or jw for your own use or of your family... But that is what you do when you download any magazine or book. If you then use an epub reader to make use of that magazine, there is no problem. If you have an app that fetches the magazines from the website it is linking to the website. Doing that, weather static or dynamically (meaning on the fly, like the dozens apps that just link to the wol) is against the new terms of use... That's my understanding

I don't think so. Point 3 doesn't forbid all apps from downloading the data, only those with "a commercial purpose or for money". I understand free apps such as JW Reader are not forbidden to download the files.

On the other hand, point 2, as I understand it, seems to mean that the publications cannot be distributed together with the software. But they can be downloaded WITH the software by every user individually.

If I am understanding it correctly, this is not the end of apps that use data from JW.org, only of those that are sold for a price.

Matt has stated on the support site:

"The issue at this point is the other major change to the WOL website made this morning - the new "Terms of Use". The changes are almost directly describing Equipd and parts of how it works. This calls into question the future of Equipd, so I will be looking into this before proceeding too much further I am sorry to say."

and

"My stance is the same as I outlined back in October last year when the JW Library app came out. If the brothers want Equipd removed from the App Store then I will do so."

I'm guessing when he has made a decision he'll post an update on the front page. 

I am afraid I understand this differently.

1st of all there is a difference between jw.org and wol.jw.org. the notice appears on the wol.

2nd down loading and storing for personal use do not constitute republishing. Even when using an app to do so.

3rd While sites such as meekspace do republish files albeit in a different format (iSILO).It is my understanding that equipt and many others like it do not download it from a 3rd party website or wol.jw.org. but the official public download site where we are encoraged to download publications from. If this is right this is not republishing but a downloading tool.Having downloaded them however we may not pass them on to another as this would constitute republishing.

But note we have had parts on the meeting suggesting we download and print brochures etc when meeting up with foreign language return visits when other alternatives do not exist.

It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step :- Jer10:23.

Not a day goes by wherein the truth of this scripture is not reaffirmed

On the other hand, point 2, as I understand it, seems to mean that the publications cannot be distributed together with the software. But they can be downloaded WITH the software by every user individually

Carlos, in order to do this, the app must be connected or linked to the site, static or dynamically... Something, specifically prohibited on the new terms of use...

Enviado do meu G630-U10 através de Tapatalk

Actually equipd doesn't download directly from wol.jw.org . I had an interesting conversation with Matt about this. That is why you can NOT dl as soon as items are available. Instead he dls them to his server through some process to make it work for equipd and then from there it gets uploaded into our devices when you click the cloud icon.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Too bad, as the KMs are finally available on the public side and could finally be added to equipd.

I know many at the US branch use equipd - especially for foreign languages. I am sure Matt and the branch will have a nice conversation. Maybe it will become free for now on.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Actually equipd doesn't download directly from wol.jw.org . I had an interesting conversation with Matt about this. That is why you can NOT dl as soon as items are available. Instead he dls them to his server through some process to make it work for equipd and then from there it gets uploaded into our devices when you click the cloud icon.

That is interesting. Unless I am reading something into his comments and completely misinterpreting - I think he will definite consult with the "right folks" before making a final decision. I really do like his app and would hate to see it go away..but I also understand WHY he might decide to close it down.

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

I am afraid I understand this differently.

1st of all there is a difference between jw.org and wol.jw.org. the notice appears on the wol.

2nd down loading and storing for personal use do not constitute republishing. Even when using an app to do so.

3rd While sites such as meekspace do republish files albeit in a different format (iSILO).It is my understanding that equipt and many others like it do not download it from a 3rd party website or wol.jw.org. but the official public download site where we are encoraged to download publications from. If this is right this is not republishing but a downloading tool.Having downloaded them however we may not pass them on to another as this would constitute republishing.

But note we have had parts on the meeting suggesting we download and print brochures etc when meeting up with foreign language return visits when other alternatives do not exist.

You must notice that there are more than one point... You cannot use an app to download things from the site because it needs a connection, whatever the configuration of it, too perform that task

What you can do is going to the Website using a browser and download the information yourself... And I understand using offline browser to fetch large amounts of pubs is also prohibited.

Furthermore wol belongs to the same site as jw.org - in reality the top site is Watchtower.com (according to alexa)

Are you sure this is wol.jw.org and not jw.org

You must notice that there are more than one point... You cannot use an app to download things from the site because it needs a connection, whatever the configuration of it, too perform that task

What you can do is going to the Website using a browser and download the information yourself... And I understand using offline browser to fetch large amounts of pubs is also prohibited.

Furthermore wol belongs to the same site as jw.org - in reality the top site is Watchtower.com (according to alexa)

and when you use a browser you also make a connection. So if it was meant this way you should not browse to it.

The new updated Terms of Use do include the WOL......

.....Updated Terms of Use

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

The new updated Terms of Use do include the WOL......

.....Updated Terms of Use

Review the updated Terms of Use for jw.org and WOL.

Ok I concede point 1, the terms of use apear on both jw.org and wol.jw.org. I found it on jw.org right down the bottom.

Furthermore wol belongs to the same site as jw.org - in reality the top site is Watchtower.com (according to alexa)[/quote

shame I really liked equipd, but se la vie.

Generic RSS readers make use of automatic links and downloads, and they're still officially supported on JW.org.

It seems that the emphasis here is not to make people visit the site manually for each and every line of text from any publication ever produced, they're likely focusing on eliminating the paid and ad-supported apps that attempt to profit from the website.

Carlos, in order to do this, the app must be connected or linked to the site, static or dynamically... Something, specifically prohibited on the new terms of use...

Hi Joao, I think you didn't understand me correctly. :)

Look what the policy says:

Reproduce, duplicate, copy, or otherwise exploit material on this website for a commercial purpose or for money (even if no profit is involved), including the distribution of computer applications based on, connected, or linked (whether static or dynamic) to this website;

So the point forbidding apps from downloading publications, whether with a static or dynamic connection, applies only to apps that charge money or have a cost. It doesn't apply to free apps.

I don't use Equipd, but from what I've heard here it has a price. Then that program is no longer allowed to download the publications.

I use an Android app named JW Reader. It shows me the daily text and allows easily downloading the magazines and other publications. It is completely free and has no advertizing. This is still allowed.

Of course this is only my understanding and I am not a lawyer. :)

Carlos, that is my understanding as well.

If you think about a a browser also goes to the site and pulls info and stores it on the device/ PC and what you see is actually the saved file in a temporary folder on the device / pc.

euipd on the other hand stores the files on its server and then serves it up to you from there - not directly from wol.jw.org (or jw.org for short)

It will be interesting to see what happens. I SINCERELY hope they are able to work something out. Meanwhile, I turned off the auto updates  :eek: 

Soon .....

I did go to "Today" and cleared the cache and then clicked the cloud and reloaded the day text info. I' did this for each language I use - but one at a time.

And now on the "Today" screen, I have the km info. :bouncing:

Soon .....

I'm going to really enjoy using Equid until our brother makes a decision one way or the other. I will completely miss having my notes and clipped pages all in one place though.

I guess Evernote will be my backup, just in case.

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

I did go to "Today" and cleared the cache and then clicked the cloud and reloaded the day text info. I' did this for each language I use - but one at a time.

And now on the "Today" screen, I have the km info. :bouncing:

Jerry

How did you clear the cache?

ISilo will be my backup.

I haven't bothered to research this app. Does it work in the same way as Equipd? Or is it simply a copy of the cd formatted for use on a tablet or cellphone ?