JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Exercise

Does anyone have a regular exercise/workout routine?

I just bought Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred....and I'll do it everyday for 30 days....to see what happens. I go swimming nearly everyday and I ride the bike at the gym until I burn 250 calories.I lift some weights and do the abdominal machine.

Just wondering what you do.

I tried to find out how many calories you burn surfing the net and one article said you'd burn more calories sleeping...:snoring:

Actually you burn 50 calories an hour sleeping!

That's 1200 calories for a 24 hour day... so, just sleep away those calories!

I got tired of being rotund. Fat, lazy, and no energy to speak of. Not exactly using this fine gift of a body that Jehovah gave me to the best of my ability. I play hockey one night a week, I do a biggest loser cardio circuit with weights (this is quite effective) for 32 mins for circuit 1, and 22 mins for circuit 2, as well as some middle eastern belly dance. I also do other activities (sledding with the kids), running and playing with my dogs. I also get one heck of a work out cleaning my house (500 cals per hour actually). I walk with my husband, I've been keeping track of how far we've gone with a site called Strava.

I do the stairs at work, I don't take the elevators, I work on the 4th floor in one building, and the 3rd floor in the next, these are 4 minutes apart, so I get my heart rate up rather good and quick. I've topped out running up the stairs at a heart rate of 184. I am on my feet, on the go ALL the time. I have lost 17.2 lbs now, and still shrinking. I went from a size 18 to a size 14 since June of last year. I just bought a bathing suit tonight that is a size 10 (I love swimming too!)

Other positives to note, I FEEL happier. I FEEL less stressed because I'm taking those stresses and translating them into something positive. I'm not sulking, whining, or snivelling about all the issues I have. I'm translating them into sweat, and they slide right off, at least for the time I'm dancing in my living room, or Bob Harper is MURDERING my core with some static moves.

One of the elder's in one of my other congregations talked about building up stamina, not only spiritual, but physical as well, because what's coming isn't going to be a picnic. I thought about it for awhile, and then I decided to take action.

Still kind of eating crummy (I burned 49,595 calories last month - been keeping track with my timex calorie/heart rate monitor), but with clean eating, I could realize another 17lbs weight loss within a relatively short time frame (2 months).

No more Patty McFatty for me.

I tried to find out how many calories you burn surfing the net and one article said you'd burn more calories sleeping...:snoring:

Actually you burn 50 calories an hour sleeping!

That's 1200 calories for a 24 hour day... so, just sleep away those calories!

Plus while you're sleeping, you're not eating! So you're doing both--burning and not taking in more! It's a WIN WIN >:D<

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

I started this year with a I want to lose more weight plan :-).so here it is.

Mondays 30 min walking (the whole family before family worship )

Tuesdays 2hrs cleaning and resting before TMS

Wednesday 4hrs out in service in the morning.

Thursday is my aerobic day 60 minutes in the evening.

Friday is jogging day 20 minutes

Saturday is family service 2hrs before meeting

and Sunday is relax day with family going to the swimming pool now n then..but I lost 12 kg from Jan1 to Feb 5.

I think if you just relax and do what you can without pushing too much you'll lose more kg.and beside the muscles need to rest too.(sleeping )Ive been trying to loose but this is the first time ever I did lost kg.I think that's because going out in the ministry was in the plan.....lol.

still working on the abdominal part though.and making food plan for the week so I know what I'm eating and should not be eating...

I have trouble exercising. I tried jogging but it makes the ice cubes bounce out of my cocktail. So I tried walking and that worked, but I end up walking to the ice cream parlor.

I got a rowing machine so I could exercise while watching TV, but I found I can use it to row into the kitchen and get a beer. :(

That's great! I had a friend in LA who was a personal trainer and she said the most succesful exercise programs were ones that you incorprated in small increments into your daily activities. Like parking further from the door and walking instead of trying to gain the closet parking space. Taking stairs instead of elevator. Something else she siad that I noticed you were doing was adding something before and already established routine--i.e. walking before family worship. Nice to hear about your sucessful plan.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I do like the gym. I do a mixture. Weights & stairs. Treadmill. I first joined a gym because anytime I would go walking it would rain for days.

One of my favourite exercises is on a Surfski. Paddling across Darook Park. One of the prettiest places where I grew up.

Also love body boarding. Its a fun way to exercise. You have to keep going out to the waves & jumping.

Maybe Nancy you have heated pools nearby. There is aqua Aerobics. Its easy going. It doesn't feel like exercise. But its fun.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Well...me and Jillian had a falling out for a few days due to my excruciatingly painful thigh muscles , but I am going back to it , I am going to the gym right now with hubby and son, the doc just started him on prediabetic meds...he is not happy.

Does anyone have a regular exercise/workout routine?

I just bought Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred....and I'll do it everyday for 30 days....to see what happens. I go swimming nearly everyday and I ride the bike at the gym until I burn 250 calories.I lift some weights and do the abdominal machine.

Just wondering what you do.

Hi Nance, i do zumba, which burns loads cals, i used to go to a class which was so fun, but stupidly i injured myrtle so has to rest a while but ive picked it up again now using both the official dvds and videos on you tube, i mainly do it for the fun/fit factor because i love dance. It fills few needs lol, to dance to favourite music in a safe environment, with no drunken creeps, have a giggle and get fit at same time. (tu)

Not quite sure about Myrtle?

Anyway I can't exercise at home, just DOES NOT happen. Used to be a gym junkie, had to get my daily fix, I've mellowed now.

So this keeps me sane (or should I say not fully insane):

2 days at the Gym: 1 Step Class, 2 - cross trainer/treadmill/rowing machine

Maybe another day or 2 - Walking with fat baby in the pram around the hills in my area

It has to fit in with our lifestyle or we just won't do it.

We should have a Memorial tract campaign challenge in March - how many calories burned. Be the fastest in your group, knock once and then run to the letterbox, leave tract in letterbox, jog to the next door. I jest - but one morning I watched a sister and brother in our group who were obviously setting a land speed record do the whole block while another couple just walked around the block behind them - they didn't get to do one door!

Not quite sure about Myrtle?

Anyway I can't exercise at home, just DOES NOT happen. Used to be a gym junkie, had to get my daily fix, I've mellowed now.

So this keeps me sane (or should I say not fully insane):

2 days at the Gym: 1 Step Class, 2 - cross trainer/treadmill/rowing machine

Maybe another day or 2 - Walking with fat baby in the pram around the hills in my area

It has to fit in with our lifestyle or we just won't do it.

We should have a Memorial tract campaign challenge in March - how many calories burned. Be the fastest in your group, knock once and then run to the letterbox, leave tract in letterbox, jog to the next door. I jest - but one morning I watched a sister and brother in our group who were obviously setting a land speed record do the whole block while another couple just walked around the block behind them - they didn't get to do one door!

>:D<

He he oh dear Yeah actually since we were told we could post the tract if hh isnt in we seem to go faster so i guess that's what we call theocratic exercise huh!

I agree that it has to fit in with our lifestyle to work and we're all different so what works for one might not be good for the other.

I like the saying "variety it's the spice of life"

haha i thoroughly enjoy all of ur posts.

i had the stomach flu recently and then a sore throat and i managed to lose 4 pounds!

Aside from that though I actually got very heavy when I was pregnant and went up to 211. a bunch of members in my family used myfitnesspal.com to lose weight and they all lost a ton of weight so i tried that and now I weigh 121. Its another free thing to input all ur food and exercise I enjoyed this much better because it let me eat my junk food I had to have but in smaller amounts and then later eat something with less calories. there is an app for it too for phones etc. then I also used to go on the elliptical every day for a half hour. I have the zumba 2 on the wii which is awesome. Then I found apps for free ab work outs which I would use from time to time. I also got the jillian michaels 6 week abs I think its called ive only done it a few times. I would like to try the 30 day shred let me know how that works out

O Catherine! You'ld be a great one to ask.....so on the app for tracking calories how much should you eat?

Exactly the amount it tells you before exercise or after you add in your exercise?

Exercise can add like 400 calories to your day :no: ....do you eat more or not?

I hope not...because eating is really hard for me.

I have a very hard time eating the amount of calories the app says I should eat....but I need to huh?

O Catherine! You'ld be a great one to ask.....so on the app for tracking calories how much should you eat?

Exactly the amount it tells you before exercise or after you add in your exercise?

Exercise can add like 400 calories to your day :no: ....do you eat more or not?

I hope not...because eating is really hard for me.

I have a very hard time eating the amount of calories the app says I should eat....but I need to huh?

Don't eat more than what the app says. I am on lose it app and love it. I never eat as much as the app says but I have a limit minimum of 1, 000 cal. A day. I have to hit that 1, 000 cal. Or I am starving myself and body wont drop weight. I never log my exercise so i know exactly what i am eating in calories. But in my comments I write down what exercise I did that day of all for the week. I have been running since Dec. and hurt myself that month by pushing myself to hard. So in Jan. I started with an app called couch to 5K and it is training me to run. I am hoping to run a marathon this spring. I am at week 5 starting Monday. I have now dropped 13 lbs. And feeling pretty good about it.

Keep up the good work. It's great to see you all motivated and helpful.