JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Teaching Math in 2013

Saw this on Facebook - LOVED IT!!

Last week I purchased a burger at a fast food restaurant for $1.58. The counter girl took my $ 2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register.

I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried.

Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s in the US:

1. Teaching Math In 1950s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

2. Teaching Math In 1960s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In1970s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990s

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living?

Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok. )

6. Teaching Math In 2009

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

note: I deleted the next line as it was very politically motivated and didn't fit with the flow above.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Exactly like UK Jerry. My husband has to regularly help out shopgirls where their register/till doesn't help them.

It's not just Math either. We were helping a sister with a large family and no husband in the Truth with her Worship night and we were discussing the earthquake in Japan and they wondered if Isreal got the same tsunami as they thought it was beside Japan - and these were 16 year olds!

It was then we discovered they also had no concept of time and though Jesus and Moses were close in time and were only in the last century not far from the First World War.

They don't teach History much here anymore in case it comes over as 'Politically Incorrect' or would offend our diverse culture. So what! Britain was Colonialist and did slave-trading, competing with other nations - best if everyone knows.It's the past that shapes political thinking right or wrong.Proves human rule is faulty and we've tried everything so we can see Armageddon is due. Britain invented concentration camps where they starved folk in Africa - Hitler took his cue from those arrangements along with Eugenics practised in America - best to know, so we don't just demonize one lot of people when we realise many bad ideas were more universal than previously thought! Just some had the power to carry out the worst of the theories more thoroughly and thus proved them to be wrong.

Lack of basic education makes people gullible suckers to every godless daft idea thrown at them on TV and other media - what a ploy of God's enemy to play on this ignorance to the hilt!