JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Read any good books lately?

It depends on what you like. I enjoy law fiction, either courtroom stories or some good detective stories and Michael Connelly is great for both.

If you like SciFi, then I recommend Larry Niven's "Known space" series, especially the five Ringworld books.

I'll be having surgery in May and so I will have time to do some reading. So what do you recommend in terms of fiction?

All the best With Surgery. Sis. :hugs: I am not much of a reader.

But I do like poetry. Like Banjo Patterson.

He was a famous Aussie writter. & Charles Dickenson.

I like to read anything with Horses. The Albino.

Or some Surfing mags. Marie Clare. Something like that. Short & Sweet.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

If you like "Mystery", there is a series of books by Elizabeth Peters that has the main character "Amelia Peabody". They take place at the turn of the century (late 1800-1920's).

Amelia Peabody is somewhat of an archaeologist. The series chronicles her life (of course fictitious) and her "exploits" since "every season there is another dead body" (that's every archaeological season). They are well written ... and clean. As a side point, the author also has a PHD in Egyptology, so, not only is her depiction of like in Egypt during the late 1800 mostly accurate, so is her references to ancient Egypt.

A complete listing of this series and a description of the titles can be found here

Another series are the "Cat Who ..." books written by Lilian Jackson Braun. Here is a quote from her Obit that says it better than I could -

The series began in 1966 with “The Cat Who Could Read Backwards” and concluded in 2007 with “The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers,” its 29th volume. In between were, among other titles, “The Cat Who Played Brahms”; “... Knew Shakespeare”; “... Sniffed Glue”; “... Said Cheese”; and “... Smelled a Rat.”

After writing “The Cat Who Could Read Backwards,” Ms. Braun quickly followed the book with two more, “The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern” (1967) and “The Cat Who Turned On and Off” (Dutton, 1968).

Then, discouraged by the market’s seemingly insatiable demand for sex and violence in mystery novels — her books have little of either — she set the series aside for 18 years. After retiring from The Free Press, she resumed with “The Cat Who Saw Red,” which appeared in 1986 .

Both of these series are best read in order, but can also be enjoyed if "jumped into" Also, if you would rather listen to them instead of reading them, they are also both available in audio format.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

It depends on what you like. I enjoy law fiction, either courtroom stories or some good detective stories and Michael Connelly is great for both.

If you like SciFi, then I recommend Larry Niven's "Known space" series, especially the five Ringworld books.

Hmm... I think I am more of the law/detective sort. Maybe even suspense.

It's hard to say, I LOVE reading but my dh hates when I do because I get so absorbed by the world of the book. So when I do read I usually read anything that has been suggested. This has included a variety of types through out the years.

I'll be having surgery in May and so I will have time to do some reading. So what do you recommend in terms of fiction?

I would highly recommend something (actually everything) of Br. Strugatsky and especially the Roadside Picnic .

http://www.amazon.com/Roadside-Picnic-Rediscovered-Classics-Strugatsky/dp/1613743416#reader_1613743416

Ursula Le Guin (she wrote the foreword) is very good also.

:flowers:

"Absolute rubbish”

I am currently retreading The Great Gatsby. Read it over 25 years ago. Excellent quick read. Also the cat who books are cute. Joanne Fluke writes cutesy mysteries. Nothing gross. Everything is based around a desserts. Like the strawberry shortcake murder. Every book includes recipes.

Diane Mott-Davidson also writes mysteries that include recipes as her main character is a caterer. These books have no graphic sex or graphic violence and no explicit swear words

1.Catering to Nobody (1990)

2.Dying for Chocolate (1993)

3.The Cereal Murders (1994)

4.The Last Suppers (1995)

5.Killer Pancake (1996)

6.The Main Corpse (1997)

7.The Grilling Season (1998)

8.Prime Cut (2000)

9.Tough Cookie (2001)

10.Sticks and Scones (2002)

11.Chopping Spree (2003)

12.Double Shot (2005)

13.Dark Tort (2007)

14.Sweet Revenge (2008)

15.Fatally Flaky (2009)

16.Crunch Time (2011)

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

He was a famous Aussie writter. & Charles Dickenson.

You probably mean "Charles Dickens, right?

Haha this reminded me of an old Fawlty Towers episode where Sybil was discussing her Harold Robbins novel with a couple of Americans who also liked Harold Robbins. Basil came in the room stating how horrible Harold Robbins novels are, the most awful American - tripe he calls them. Of course when he learns the couple like Harold Robbins, he pretends he was referring to another author called Harold Robinson.

153373=8437-1st fidelma.jpg

153373=8438-fidelma2.png

153373=8439-fid4.png I enjoy these Whodunnits set in Ireland during the time when the Celtic Christians were being forced to convert to the Roman Catholic Church around the 7th Century. The main character - an educated Irish princess from the lesser kingdom of Cashel (Tipperary) is chief advocate for the High King Of Ireland at Tara and is sent around Ireland and throughout Europe to solve mysteries on his behalf. The Catholic church put an end to female education to this level and were enforcing celibacy on elders that was not practised then in Ireland, as well as other unfair unscriptural rules that were causing controversy. The author wanted to use these fictional murder mystery stories to show up the fact that Ireland was not always mainly Roman Catholic. In his last book - Behold the Pale Horse - Princess Fidelma travels to Italy to see the wars and murder caused by the Church trying to impose Trinity on the tribes in the north of the country who were taught earlier Christianity and did not want to take on this alien doctrine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... I think I am more of the law/detective sort. Maybe even suspense.

It's hard to say, I LOVE reading but my dh hates when I do because I get so absorbed by the world of the book. So when I do read I usually read anything that has been suggested. This has included a variety of types through out the years.

You might give Clive Cussler a try. He's fully involved with archeology and writes most of his fiction/action novels based on what he experiences or learns. He had one of his novels made into a movie, Saraha. Wonderful movie! The novels are clean of language and sex. It's all about the action. A young brother comes here and borrows from my collection.

JA Jance is another one I've read and enjoy although I do think it has a bit of language.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I enjoy these Whodunnits set in Ireland during the time when the Celtic Christians were being forced to convert to the Roman Catholic Church around the 7th Century. The main character - an educated Irish princess from the lesser kingdom of Cashel (Tipperary) is chief advocate for the High King Of Ireland at Tara and is sent around Ireland and throughout Europe to solve mysteries on his behalf. The Catholic church put an end to female education to this level and were enforcing celibacy on elders that was not practised then in Ireland, as well as other unfair unscriptural rules that were causing controversy. The author wanted to use these fictional murder mystery stories to show up the fact that Ireland was not always mainly Roman Catholic. In his last book - Behold the Pale Horse - Princess Fidelma travels to Italy to see the wars and murder caused by the Church trying to impose Trinity on the tribes in the north of the country who were taught earlier Christianity and did not want to take on this alien doctrine.

These books are a terrific read. I borrowed them from the library a few years back, they didn't have every book in the seres so I missed a few, but still very enjoyable.

River God by Wilbur Smith is very good. Set in Ancient Egypt it's a great page turner, as is The Seventh Scroll which is follows it. Didn't like/read his other books.

Bernard Cornwell has a few historical fiction series that aren't bad.