JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Recording The Entire Convention

Hello dear bros and sisters , since my memory is not what  it used to be, I'M IN NEED OF ADVISE AS to which camcorder to purchase ,one with good battery life and good sound quality, my convention is 6-21)6-23  WEST PALM BEACH FLORIDA   AND ALSO  I'M NOT TECH SAVY  UR IMPUT  will be greatly appre. love to all  

Are you really wanting that much video? You can get an FM recorder and get near perfect sound. The video recorder will have a distracting echo from the big room + many hours of having to deal with the video. I use a Cannon Vixia HFG10 to record in HD. The batteries last about an hour or extended batteries 2 hrs. It records on to 32 GB #10 SD card that hold 2 hrs video and the camera holds two of them + 32 GB of internal memory for a total of 6 hrs recording. I only video the dramas when invited to do so by either the director or CO and dub FM recording for better sound.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

Are you really wanting that much video? You can get an FM recorder and get near perfect sound. The video recorder will have a distracting echo from the big room + many hours of having to deal with the video. I use a Cannon Vixia HFG10 to record in HD. The batteries last about an hour or extended batteries 2 hrs. It records on to 32 GB #10 SD card that hold 2 hrs video and the camera holds two of them + 32 GB of internal memory for a total of 6 hrs recording. I only video the dramas when invited to do so by either the director or CO and dub FM recording for better sound.

thank you for youre  advice  what  fm recorder do you  in particular recomend? 

There are many different brands/types of recorders out there.  I have an older version of this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Portable-Media-Player-Black/dp/B001B4RH3C/ref=sr_1_9?s=mp3&ie=UTF8&qid=1370014842&sr=1-9&keywords=fm+recorder

It's been good to have, however, I am thinking of getting one of these later this summer, because it will also do voice recording and, I think, will have a longer battery life. 

http://www.ccradio.com/radios/am-fm-radios/cc-witness-plus.aspx#.UajFvCqF_pk

With the Samsung, I don't have enough power to record an entire day, so I end up having to run out to the car during lunch to charge it, and you don't want to be sitting in your car in the middle of a July day in Houston!!   :sweat:

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

For FM we use a "Transcend MP850". It has 4GB memory and will record the FM of the entire convention without the need of recharging.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

For FM we use a "Transcend MP850". It has 4GB memory and will record the FM of the entire convention without the need of recharging.

Where can one buy the "Transcend MP85"??????????  My bing search all come up India.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

We got ours from Audio Acoustics in Missouri . it is where the KH's and RBC's buy much of their equipment for the Halls - I am in that department with the RBC and have an account with them

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

There are many different brands/types of recorders out there.  I have an older version of this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Portable-Media-Player-Black/dp/B001B4RH3C/ref=sr_1_9?s=mp3&ie=UTF8&qid=1370014842&sr=1-9&keywords=fm+recorder

It's been good to have, however, I am thinking of getting one of these later this summer, because it will also do voice recording and, I think, will have a longer battery life. 

With the Samsung, I don't have enough power to record an entire day, so I end up having to run out to the car during lunch to charge it, and you don't want to be sitting in your car in the middle of a July day in Houston!!   :sweat:

HELLO! I guess i should of waited for the replies, I checked  on amazon and the ccrane  did not have good reviews , so I PURCHASE a TASCAMDR-O5 DIGITAL REC. KEEP YOU POSTED MY CONV. is 6-21]6-23] WEST PALM BEACH FLA.

• 3 years later...

I've been recording assemblies for years using the discontinued sansa fuze plus (not fuze). Mine have 8gb of memory, a digital PLL FM tuner and record directly from FM in stereo. They take about three seconds to save a recording and start recording again so i usually break at the session song. I use a different fuze plus unit for the afternoon program because of battery considerations. It's not removable. The whole convention fits on 3 units so i dont have to take a laptop to the hotel/motel.

Each unit records one morning and one afternoon session and is recharged overnight using microusb charger.

At home I merge the files into one folder named after the assembly with file names FriAM1, FriAM2, FriPM1, FriPM2, SatAM1, SatAM2, etc ... 12 names

I convert these to mp3 using lame.exe v3.99.5  thus

lame -V 9.6 -m j FriAM1.wav

etc

This windows cmd line program converts my 1411kbps wav files to 41kbps mp3 VBR files with joint stereo in an mp3 extension file.  You could also do a listening test for 9.4 conversion if you think 9.6 is too much compression(1/34).  I keep the 9.6 vbr mp3 files. I can provide technical details as to the difference, but 9.4 still compresses by a factor of 25. And vbr is just plain better than cbr mp3 at any bitrate.

Hope this helps someone.

43 minutes ago, Othniel said:

I've been recording assemblies for years using the discontinued sansa fuze plus

I do the same thing that you do except I have an old Sansa Clip. I break at the songs but I don't merge the files. I use Goldwave to edit the files and convert them to MP3. I take a emergency power pack with me just in case the recorder power gets low.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I use my Sony Cam and an external battery/120V inverter to record all day. Start camcorder at music, stop at noon then again at music and stop at close of day.

Record audio on audio recorder thru FM ( US RC's ) or Williams receiver ( for Cdn RC's ).

Then use Cyberlink Power Director to edit files into individual parts. I just updated it in Dec./16 from v13 to v15 for special Upgrade price of C$49, got deal special + 20% discount. B)

P.S. Got VSO x to dvd latest version for C$32. Tried it out, didn't figure it was worth full US price thus when uninstalled it, they offered me the C$32 deal.

Had been using a really old version for monthly videos for 3 families without internet.

Edited by pnutts

additional info

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

We have a great HD Recorder at work, its an Olympus with the dual mics.  It records for hours on end.  I don't remember the model number.  

It's really close to this one.  https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-LS-14-Linear-PCM-Recorder/dp/B00AIKU34K/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1486310352&sr=8-10&keywords=olympus+recorder

Or actually it might be this one. :)  https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-LS-10-Linear-PCM-Recorder/dp/B0012754UG/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1486310430&sr=8-29&keywords=olympus+recorder

Edited by The Deej

Add link

The sansa fuze plus records directly from the low power fm transmitter at us rc, assembly halls and kh so no background noise.

I've used the free audacity program to clean up and chop the recordings before but decided naming and tagging was too much effort.

Compression on the other hand so i could have / listen on my phone was more useful to me.