JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Apple, Android or Windows?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which computer operating system do you use MOST OFTEN?

• Apple
    • Android
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows XP
    • Windows ME
    • Windows 98 or 95
    • Linux
    • Other
  2. 2. Which computer operating system do you PREFER using?

• Apple
    • Android
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows XP
    • Windows ME
    • Windows 98 or Windows 95
    • Linux
    • Other
  3. 3. What type of electronic device do you prefer?

• Desktop PC
    • Laptop or notebook
    • Tablet
    • Phone/smartphone
    • Other

Many people have a definite preference for the type of operating system they use on their computer. I use Windows Vista on my laptop, and recently acquired an Asus Transformer Prime tf201 running Android 4.1. My husband has an Apple iPad. I didn't know how seriously people took their OS until our household became "divided." Suddenly, everyone has an opinion! How about y'all? What is your experience with operating systems and the people who love them...or hate them? The only thing I can compare it to is the rivalry between certain football teams here in the US. (You know who you are.)

I have the same tablet as you, Diane. I got my husband Acer something or other. I use mine all the time, except for the internet. I really find it hard to use the tablet for shopping etc. I love it for studying. Grumpy's sits on the floor, next to his chair. He charges it once a month. I don't think he uses it but he likes to say he has one. Waste of money.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Vernalee, I'll be pestering you all the time for advice now! I HATED tablets after George got his iPad a couple of years ago. (He was obsessed with the thing!) Then he talked me into getting ANOTHER one for our daughter for graduation last year...she's been more reasonable in her use of it. And our oldest son and daughter-in-law got me a plain old Kindle for our wedding anniversary this year. Well, that did it. I can't possibly be lugging all those books and things to every meeting...But, I still have an intense dislike for iPads! So, after an enlightening conversation with our son-in-law (an Android person) I ordered this little Transformer Prime from eBay. The rear camera doesn't work, but I'm hoping to get that fixed...someday. Is iSilo still the most efficient way to get the WT Library on my tablet?   

I really like my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Tablet - Already had an Android smartphone so just made sense to go with the same OS for tablet.  I absolutely love it for the meetings & studying, and appreciate not having to lug so many books to the KH (although I'm never without my big reference Bible - gotta look up the scriptures!)  I have Win XP laptop that I use for the WT CD, but everything else I have is on the tablet. 

Interesting, my congregation seems to be about 60/40 favoring Android (among those who bring them to the meetings), but I think it boils down to whatever OS a person is used to.  Not an Apple guy, but :thumbsup: to those who love their iPads!

Vernalee, I'll be pestering you all the time for advice now! I HATED tablets after George got his iPad a couple of years ago. (He was obsessed with the thing!) Then he talked me into getting ANOTHER one for our daughter for graduation last year...she's been more reasonable in her use of it. And our oldest son and daughter-in-law got me a plain old Kindle for our wedding anniversary this year. Well, that did it. I can't possibly be lugging all those books and things to every meeting...But, I still have an intense dislike for iPads! So, after an enlightening conversation with our son-in-law (an Android person) I ordered this little Transformer Prime from eBay. The rear camera doesn't work, but I'm hoping to get that fixed...someday. Is iSilo still the most efficient way to get the WT Library on my tablet?   

Yes to the islio question, talk to Musky about it. I took it off because I use my laptop for that. I have a kindle paperwhite. I love to read and I like that one the best. I had a Kindle Fire and rooted it but didn't like it so I sold that to my sis in law. I love the Transformer for meetings. I have a program emailed to me every week WSM. If you are interested you can PM me. The rear camera on mine doesn't work either. Almost from the beginning but I've never used either camera anyway so to me, no big deal. I don't mind being pestered. When I am at work, I spend most of my time alone so pester away. I don't like iPads either. We can be "kindle" spirits. :headphones:

Edited by GrumpysWife

Because I could

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

The poll is kind of misleading. I use Windows 7 on my laptop and prefer it to other versions of computer operating systems, but on a smartphone or tablet, I prefer Android, but there was no place to vote for that combination. You also don't find many "computers (desktops or Laptops) that offer the Android OS. 

post-535-0-11834500-1370915625.gif

My Windows 7 laptop is still to most capable machine I own.

However, I love my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet and Samsung Galaxy Note 2 phone. My first tablet was the Transformer Prime. It had some major defects that I could not live with and had to return it, but I wanted to use it for work purposes, whereas Vernalee and others seem to be happy with theirs. Then I purchased a Toshiba Excite 10 tablet, which is still one of the best tablets out there in my opinion. My wife inherited it when I went with the Samsung Note 10.1 which had exactly what I needed: a built in wacom digitizer and a digital pen.

I use iSilo as my Bible at the meetings. I was running an older version of iSilo that gets passed around behind the scenes, but recently it went on sale for $10.99 in the Google Market (usually $20) and so I thought it fair to pay for it and have an up to date version, although I haven't seen any differences yet.

CarnivoreTalk.com - my health coaching website. youtube.png/@CarnivoreTalk - My latest YouTube project

I use iSilo as my Bible at the meetings. I was running an older version of iSilo that gets passed around behind the scenes, but recently it went on sale for $10.99 in the Google Market (usually $20) and so I thought it fair to pay for it and have an up to date version, although I haven't seen any differences yet.

Go into "edit" and then "options" and set your font to a larger size for the tablet, you couldn't do that with the older version which seemed to stay tiny on a tablet no matter what size you set the font to. You can also program different areas of the reading window to do what you want when you tap on that area. There are other subtle changes also. The highlighting works much better on the newer version, etc.

Edited by Musky

I think Androids are the Best. Super easy. I love the Note. I am able to record the meetings etc & play what I miss later.

I have Windows 8 on my Laptop its built in & I like it.

Prefer a laptop over a proper desktop. They are awesome for small spaces.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Go into "edit" and then "options" and set your font to a larger size for the tablet, you couldn't do that with the older version which seemed to stay tiny on a tablet no matter what size you set the font to. You can also program different areas of the reading window to do what you want when you tap on that area. There are other subtle changes also. The highlighting works much better on the newer version, etc.

I was able to display "Largest" before. And yes, highlighting did stink. I haven't tried it yet on the new version.

In truth, for being one of the more expensive apps, it leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. But, it fills a need better than most things out there at the current time.

CarnivoreTalk.com - my health coaching website. youtube.png/@CarnivoreTalk - My latest YouTube project

I was able to display "Largest" before. And yes, highlighting did stink. I haven't tried it yet on the new version.

In truth, for being one of the more expensive apps, it leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. But, it fills a need better than most things out there at the current time.

Yes, I meant to say that the old version didn't fill the screen on a tablet even though the font was set large, it looked way to small, more fit for a smartphone, which it was. I agree that it could be improved greatly, but they have had no reason to since they were and still are the only choice for pdb files, and there is a lot of good files out there in pdb. They were the only thing you could use on the old "Palm pilots" so everybody was converting documents to pdb for a long time. 

Yes, I meant to say that the old version didn't fill the screen on a tablet even though the font was set large, it looked way to small, more fit for a smartphone, which it was. I agree that it could be improved greatly, but they have had no reason to since they were and still are the only choice for pdb files, and there is a lot of good files out there in pdb. They were the only thing you could use on the old "Palm pilots" so everybody was converting documents to pdb for a long time.

Yes it is the only choice for pdb files. But the guys that make the wtlib can make it in other format if there is one better app? Or is it that the pdb is the best format?

I remember from windows mobile days that it was the best compression wise. But today I think everybody has plenty of room for the size of the wtlib file so I wonder if there is other format with better apps...

I too think that isilo could be better...

I have a pc that operates XP

A laptop with Windows 7 which I prefer

and a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini android which operates the jellybean system is brilliant as well

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

I have a laptop with Windows 7 and another with Windows 8. Debbie has an iMac for her work and she owns an iPhone. I use my Android phone for most things.

Personally, if you want one company telling you how to use your phone, PC or tablet and what you can and cannot do with it - stick with Apple. It will always work.

If you want choice - Windows on a computer and android on a tablet. It gets fuzzy with a PC type tablet - if just media use - android. If I am using it for serious word processing - Windows.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....