JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Keeping up with current/new terms & adjustments ... should we?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3041 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

It's been tough to keep pace with current proper new theocratic terminology lately, hasn't it?  There have been so many changes in terms, direction and actions needed. A new letter every month or so.

One example is:  What about using a term like the "Society" which has been used by many faithful servants for decades and it is not easy for many to change our vocabulary. Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't ... or does it?

Some have noticed that One of the Governing body recently used the term society when referring to the legal publishing company side of the organisation, the secular part, the Watchtower, Bible and Tract SOCIETY, as opposed to the theocratic side of the organisation.
Also, we should not say....the society says....... Because it will be the Faithful and Discreet Slave that says......... Not a publishing company.

Others have stated, "I thought I read that we were moving away from using "society" because it sounded secretive and were using branch in its place. I always say branch unless stating the name "Watchtower Bible & Tract Society" which is almost never.

A Pioneer school graduate stated " When I was in Pioneer School this came up last year and it was when the Governing Body separated themselves from the Legal part of the Organization to focus on the theocratic part that the term. Society quit being used for the theocratic part of the organization. It is used for the Legal entity that is the WBTS.

Edited by timpin

Hi Brother Tim,

Yes I agree with you, there have been quite a lot of changes over the past years, and now even Monthly!

I think this article below has been very helpful to me and others concerning the issues you mentioned.

Please let me know what you think?  :wave:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

** w98 3/15 pp. 18-19 Living Up to Christian Dedication in Freedom ***
 Someone may argue that the way the Witnesses speak about the Watch Tower Society—or more often

just “the Society”—indicates that they view it as more than a legal instrument.

Do they not consider it to be the final authority on matters of worship?

The book Jehovah’s Witnesses—Proclaimers of God’s Kingdom clarifies this point by explaining:

When The Watchtower [June 1, 1938] referred to ‘The Society,’

this meant, not a mere legal instrumentality, but the body of anointed Christians that had formed that legal entity and used it.

The expression therefore stood for “the faithful and discreet slave.” (Matthew 24:45)

It is in this sense that the Witnesses generally used the term “the Society.”

Of course, the legal corporation and “the faithful and discreet slave” are not interchangeable terms.

Directors of the Watch Tower Society are elected, whereas Witnesses who make up ‘the faithful slave’ are anointed by Jehovah’s holy spirit.

In order to avoid misunderstandings, Jehovah’s Witnesses try to be careful about how they express themselves. Instead of saying, “the Society teaches,” many Witnesses prefer to use such expressions as,

“the Bible says” or, “I understand the Bible to teach.”

In this way they emphasize the personal decision that each Witness has made in accepting Bible teachings and also avoid giving the false impression that Witnesses are somehow bound to the dictates of some religious sect.

Of course, suggestions as regards terminology should never become a subject of controversy. After all, terminology is of importance only to the extent that it prevents misunderstandings. Christian balance is required. The Bible admonishes us “not to fight about words.” (2 Timothy 2:14, 15) The Scriptures also state this principle: “Unless you through the tongue utter speech easily understood, how will it be known what is being spoken?”—1 Corinthians 14:9.

God’s Spirit Reduces the Need for Rules

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

I have trouble with PO's now being CoBE's.D.O. will soon be a forgotten term.The new songs still trip me up,but they're growing on me.I have no idea what generation means anymore...lol...is there still a celestial phenomenon coming?I know there's not an evil slave class.I'm glad about that one.The apostates seem to have gotten a demotion.:-)

Yep...lots of changes and yet the truth is so much simpler to share with others.Hand them a tract...ask a couple questions...read a scripture...simple!

Our CO told us last night that if we can't remember all the new terms that we won't be punished for it. He then gave a talk about the changes and the benefits from them. He said there's more yet to come.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

there was a thread on this entitled "Theocratic Expressions" started by Qapla within the past year.

discussing many updated terminologies

DO is now CO, DC is RC, no more SAD... 

an elder last week from the platform announced that CA will be soon called a different term but then

he quickly moved on to another topic so this may have just slipped out

love the changes in our org. :)

while Babylon grows cold with her stale traditions and a rotting reputation,

Jehovah sharpens his people to do his work and face our trials ahead,

and gives us all we need to keep the Kingdom promise burning bright in our hearts :heart:

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

Neil,

Thanks for commenting on the term used, 'Society' in it's appropriate use.  

I do appreciate during christian meetings when someone is making a comment using the term "Society" when referring to directions , etc.     It just feels like the term the world uses in books, movies,   like a secret Society, club.    It just sounds a little easier to listen to when the term Branch is mentioned or the faithful slave when used in comments.   By the way this is just MY opinion.    I think of what others who are listening might think.   I do realize that noone will be struck by lightning for using that word in their comments.   :)

Even the term "loving kindness" has disappeared from the 2013 revised New World Translation, except in footnotes. Yet, the term is used in five songs in Sing to Jehovah (9, 18, 22, 86, 112). Does this mean we should immediately get a new song book?

Society, society, society ! There !... I have said the dreaded S word. While I agree in general with the sentiments

entertained here, That it is necessary to keep up with the "pure language" as it progresses. We want to be sure we

balance this with other just as important things as well. We may well call to mind Jesus words to the Pharisees

when he said: " Who to you scribes, Pharisees, hypocrites, because you give a tenth of the mint and the dill and

the cumin, but you have disregarded the weightier matters of the Law, namely justice, mercy and faithfulness.

These things it was necessary to do, but not neglect the other" -Matthew 23: 23. In the things that we champion

may we never loose the balance that may begin to make us look like Pharisees, in the eyes of others.

GStorrs46

The actual term "society" was changed to "Branch Office" over 9 years ago. The main reason was the Gov Body felt that term associated us to many non-witnesses as a cult. On a side note it was also suggested that we refer to people who are not witnesses as "Non-Witnesess" rather than "wordly people",  But its really not that big of deal in the stream of time as i still have a problem saying coby. B)

Here's one of the things that is going to change: We will not longer use the term "Special Assembly Day", all our one day assembies from now on will be "Circuit Assemblies".

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Hi Brother Tim,

Yes I agree with you, there have been quite a lot of changes over the past years, and now even Monthly!

I think this article below has been very helpful to me and others concerning the issues you mentioned.

Please let me know what you think?  :wave:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

** w98 3/15 pp. 18-19 Living Up to Christian Dedication in Freedom ***

Someone may argue that the way the Witnesses speak about the Watch Tower Society—or more often

just “the Society”—indicates that they view it as more than a legal instrument.

Do they not consider it to be the final authority on matters of worship?

The book Jehovah’s Witnesses—Proclaimers of God’s Kingdom clarifies this point by explaining:

When The Watchtower [June 1, 1938] referred to ‘The Society,’

this meant, not a mere legal instrumentality, but the body of anointed Christians that had formed that legal entity and used it.

The expression therefore stood for “the faithful and discreet slave.” (Matthew 24:45)

It is in this sense that the Witnesses generally used the term “the Society.”

Of course, the legal corporation and “the faithful and discreet slave” are not interchangeable terms.

Directors of the Watch Tower Society are elected, whereas Witnesses who make up ‘the faithful slave’ are anointed by Jehovah’s holy spirit.

In order to avoid misunderstandings, Jehovah’s Witnesses try to be careful about how they express themselves. Instead of saying, “the Society teaches,” many Witnesses prefer to use such expressions as,

“the Bible says” or, “I understand the Bible to teach.”

In this way they emphasize the personal decision that each Witness has made in accepting Bible teachings and also avoid giving the false impression that Witnesses are somehow bound to the dictates of some religious sect.

Of course, suggestions as regards terminology should never become a subject of controversy. After all, terminology is of importance only to the extent that it prevents misunderstandings. Christian balance is required. The Bible admonishes us “not to fight about words.” (2 Timothy 2:14, 15) The Scriptures also state this principle: “Unless you through the tongue utter speech easily understood, how will it be known what is being spoken?”—1 Corinthians 14:9.

God’s Spirit Reduces the Need for Rules

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Neil,

Thanks for commenting on the term used, 'Society' in it's appropriate use.  

I do appreciate during christian meetings when someone is making a comment using the term "Society" when referring to directions , etc.     It just feels like the term the world uses in books, movies,   like a secret Society, club.    It just sounds a little easier to listen to when the term Branch is mentioned or the faithful slave when used in comments.   By the way this is just MY opinion.    I think of what others who are listening might think.   I do realize that noone will be struck by lightning for using that word in their comments.   :)

The actual term "society" was changed to "Branch Office" over 9 years ago. The main reason was the Gov Body felt that term associated us to many non-witnesses as a cult. On a side note it was also suggested that we refer to people who are not witnesses as "Non-Witnesess" rather than "wordly people",  But its really not that big of deal in the stream of time as i still have a problem saying coby. B)

Thank you Brothers, so it looks like we've had between 9 and 16 years to make this adjustment - I've noticed that all of our updated literature online reflects these terminology adjustments as well. (for them to do that, shows it's important to follow theocratic order)

I will try to think before I speak so I may use these terms properly also.  

When to use Society vs. Branch   ...   FDS - GB   ...   1-day Circuit Assembly  vs.  Convention   ...    RC / IC   ...   C.O. ...   COBE  .... Group Overseer   ...  CBS, TMS, SM, WTS    ....    many of the schools have new names now also  - Christian Evangelizers   ...    any other recent adjustments in theocratic terms I missed?

Edited by timpin

I dont know what half of those acronyms mean at all. Someone put a sticky guild up somewhere so we can keep track. Its frustrating and infuriating at the same time to try and read half of this thread let alone others.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

I dont know what half of those acronyms mean at all. Someone put a sticky guild up somewhere so we can keep track. Its frustrating and infuriating at the same time to try and read half of this thread let alone others.

That is a good reason not to worry about it too much. Just do your best.

My CO told us last week that we shouldn't get upset with each other if we can't remember the changes of names. It takes time to get them all straight.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

As always there is balance .. When someone we have known for years gets married and changes her name ... It takes awhile for the old brain cells to make a new procedural memory..

So let's not be like the "Seinfeld Soup Nazi"........ "No Soup For YOU"....

It gets rather tiring dealing with the "terminology police"

after all, it is not a major requirement to be a lamb of God ...the lambs are trying, be gentle.. Hush...be gentle :)

Edited by TheDoorGuy

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Thank you for that. It is difficult for anyone that has problems like dyslexia ADD ADHD or Asperger's let alone all of them at the same time. I don't have all of them but enough that when people use acronyms its very difficult to figure out what the blazes they are talking about.

So please someone make a sticky so that everyone can see what is being talked about? It would be a very loving thing to do so everyone knows!

The Brothers do not use acronyms on the platform at all. They use the full terms so when someone comes here they don't know what everyone is talking about. 

Why is it fair to leave them in the dark?

Edited by Greg Dent

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

It is a bit of tongue in cheek term... Can't let our egos too bruised over it..

I have a lot of books entitled this or that for dummies .. One of the best ones is Bi-polar for dummies... It has helped many brothers and sisters, who were not up to speed on their brain health ...and saved a least one sisters life ..

Edited by TheDoorGuy

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.