JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Keeping up with current/new terms & adjustments ... should we?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3070 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Personally it is little old to take a swat at our brother for water under the bridge ....We are all trying to learn here ..

As far as it depends ME be peaceable .. That means a peace provocateur ....

Make Jehovah smile...:)

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Tim,

I came across this thread again and had actually forgot about it. Or that I had made a post regarding your remarks. But

when I saw the topic I thought to my self. Tim is obviously on his little soapbox again, and bashing us again for not using the

correct current terminology. Can't you find something more important to hammer on, like how we can better reflex the love

and mercy of Jehovah and Jesus. How we can be of greater encouragement to the friends, the elderly, or the ill in the con-

gregation. How we can work to improve our ministry, etc. Or so many other upbuilding and constructive subjects. But I have

come to believe you are not happy unless you can display your supposed superiority in the organization, and are at the for-

front of being a champion of it's latest developments. Beware that what you think is your strength and glory, proves to be

your downfall and ruin. Take it from one who has seen many like you over the last 40 years of my association with the truth.

GStorrs46

I actually feel a little bit sorry for Tim right now.  You have a valid point about our topics of conversation but it's a bit harsh to rake this up after so much time isn't it?

I'm sorry if this subject brings out the sour side of my personality. But after being on the forum for now a year, this is

literally the drum Tim has beat for this entire last year. Thus my own feeling it is time to move on. My experience on the

forum has been a pleasant one, except for this. If you feel I have been unkind to Tim, I feel Tim has been unkind to us.

Despite it being a year, he has never let it rest. While it's important to try and keep up with the new adjustrments, as has

been  stated here in the many comments. so many have real problems remembering and keeping track of all of them.

I admit I have the same problem, even though I am trying. What it reminds me of is when I was in college and studying

Medical Terminology. Everything is an acronym. That is one of the reasons medicine sounds like a foreign language.

And how many doctors reap satisfaction from that as that makes them look so superior. When the real truth is a good

doctor should be able to explain a diagnosis so you can simply understand what is involved. The same with the truth. I

feel some of this actually leads to a superior and proud view of our knowledge. And that is a very slippery slope to start

down. Thus my comments.

GStorrs46

And since Carlos has now PMed me to inform me of that, I agree to that. It is not my wish to bring conflict to this forum.

So I apologize to you Tim for you for any pain I have brought you. At the same time I hope this is the end of this subject

and thread.

GStorrs46

Personally it is little old to take a swat at our brother for water under the bridge ....We are all trying to learn here ..

As far as it depends ME be peaceable .. That means a peace provocateur ....

Make Jehovah smile... :)

I actually feel a little bit sorry for Tim right now.  You have a valid point about our topics of conversation but it's a bit harsh to rake this up after so much time isn't it?

As Tim let this go awhile ago, it seems time for us to do the same.

Thank you. At times it's difficult, but like me, you brothers must have watched and learned several fine points brought out throughout this morning worship last week also   ... http://tv.jw.org/#video/VODProgramsEvents/pub-jwbmw_E_201502_5_VIDEO

As I feel your comments are in particular aimed at me, let me ask you this Tim. In light of Bro. Lett' talk on being a peace

maker, do you feel that OVERALL I have tried to be a peacemaker during my tenure on this forum ? Once Bro. Carlos

PMed me and appraised me of the situation, did I not publically apologize to you ? And that despite the many times this

very issue has become a source of contention and dispute on this forum. I could further reveal other things that have been

told to me by the moderators, but for your sake I forbear. Instead let us try to leave behind some of this ranker and got-you

mentality. My personal hope is that this is the end of it. Sincerely yours,

GStorrs46

I guess I'm lost ....

If memory serves, this is not the only thread that discusses Theocratic terms and how they are used. I think I even started or posted in such threads. It is something that, at times, can be very distracting when people continue to use "old" terminology even though they know what the current terminology is - they just choose not to use the new, oops, I mean they "forget" to use the new .... 

Now, as for having "open arguments" with others on the board through a thread, yes, that should NOT be done - and I hope no one takes this post that way ....

Like I said, I guess I am lost since I am not sure why this thread all of the sudden seems to resemble the beginnings of an argument - or whatever you call it.

OK - I'm done with this thought .... let's get back to "discussions" and leave the "arguments" in the dust.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I guess I'm lost ....

It's just a misunderstanding, John. There were some unfortunate comments in this thread many months ago. Mike saw the topic revived and thought Tim was insisting again on the subject. Then he realized that it was a mistake and apologized. As in any conflict between two mature Christians, that apology should be the end of it. And so we expect.

Regarding changes in the theocratic terms we use, in an ideal world we all would be up to date with all current terminology. But we live in a world with so many problems that probably being careful to say "regional convention" instead of "district convention" is the least of our worries. So while it's nice to use the right terms and it's ok to comment changes in terminology, we should never make others feel bad when they use a term that has been replaced.

My parents still use expressions from the old Bible they used to learn the Truth before the NWT was available in Spanish. I doubt they will ever get up to date. But that doesn't make them worse Christians at all, does it? :)

Good explanation Carlos, just a misunderstanding, mistakes happen, no argument, be peaceable, apologies are the end of it. 

Yes John, you did start a very nice thread   ... http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/10660-theocratic-expressions/

Edited by timpin

Thank You TIm, for posting that link to Brother Lett's morning worship offering. We truly are fortunate to have such a feast, and to learn from one of the anointed.

That spirit of being "willing" to yield, can be one of your most valuable tools in your spirituality tool box, can't it? That oneness of spirit is so importaant to our deliverance, that we really should fully meditate on the Scripture at Ephesians 4:3, and take it to heart to. Romans 12: 3 is like the cherry on top of the sundae.        :peace:

Tim,

I thank for your acknowledgement of my apology. and as Carlos explained it was all a mistake in understanding

on my part of the thread and previous comments on it. I appreciate also the link you provided to Bro. Lett's comments

on cultivating unity in the congregation. That is an area we all need to improve on, including myself. I am also grateful

to you for the link to John's thread on theocratic terms. If we are going to discuss this subject, this is the perspective I

enjoy and love to talk about it. For this is beneficial to us all and does not make anyone feel bad because they are cur-

rently struggling and having a hard time with some of the newer terminology. And I think that is especially true of us

older ones and who have many years being part of the organization. Unlike younger ones and those newer in the truth

these previous expressions have become almost second nature. Yet, as you have pointed out, it is important to make a

conscious effort to keep abreast of new expresssions as well as all the changes they relate to with regard to the truth.

So let us both move on now in a renewed sense of striving to maintain a sense of brotherly love and unity, all to the

honor and glory of our great God, Jehovah.

GStorr46

• 4 months later...

Can we still add to the list of acronyms?

Here's one

STG = Straining The Gnat. based on Mt 23:24

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I remember being counseled about calling the information board the "bulletin board".

-Dave

I have looked at the etymology of the word 'bulletin' and do not find it offensive. Did the person site any reference in our literature? 

Edited by kejedo

I have looked at the etymology of the word 'bulletin' and do not find it offensive. Did the person site any reference in our literature? 

This was back in the 90's when I was an elder in a small congregation. I was doing the announcements and said that the accounts report would be posted on the bulletin board and was taken to task by another elder. There had been direction from New York about it. 

-Dave

Edited by DW

This was back in the 90's when I was an elder in a small congregation. I was doing the announcements and said that the accounts report would be posted on the bulletin board and was taken to task by another elder. There had been direction from New York about it. 

-Dave

I love word origins and have heard the papal 'bull' story before, but have not found it authenticated anywhere. I would certainly enjoy any clarification by the organization (society, brotherhood, Watchtower, FDS, GB,........). There may be a valid point somewhere. On the other hand, I have seen people's unsubstantiated opinions spread like wildfire. Just wonderin' 

p.s. I could start a new thread abut (non-biblical) things I heard said and repeated in car groups that are not necessarily grounded in any factual info (that I am aware of, and I do enjoy research). I just say, "       ". Nothing at all, but sometimes I wonder if I should respond and say, "Are you sure of that?" I'm not in a car group to stir up controversy, but sometimes I notice that people who love the truth can be prone to repeat things heard, without some research. 

Congrats for being an elder - WooHoo. Not easy to do.  

Edited by kejedo

The direction about the information board had more to do with the idea that a bulletin board is for posting all sorts of trivia by any one where the board at the Hall is for specific information

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I also remember being told it was an Information Board not a Bulletin Board because of the Catholic papal bulls

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D