JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Keeping up with current/new terms & adjustments ... should we?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3042 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

jpcook, on 05 Jul 2014 - 09:47 AM, said:snapback.png

Given One is a term that is being associated to the "other sheep" elders that will take lead of the Organization after all anointed are gone, that is, after the GT but before Battle of Arm, all anointed will join their King in the heavenly Kingdom, therefore, Organizational leadership will transfer to the Given Ones... note the Bethel speakers at the International Conventions this year  :uhhuh:

Oh my goodness! Terms that are taking us right into the new system! Chills down my spine!

Me too!!  So exciting and really makes me feel like we are SO close...makes it SOOOO real :)

Amos 4:12, in part: ".....Get ready to meet your God, O Israel."

"Given Ones"

I thought I might add some additional information about this term since we don't hear it very often and some are curious.

When someone speaks about the "Given Ones" today it is

a scriptural term for those brothers today who are not anointed(Other Sheep) but have a role directly assisting the

"Faithful & Discreet Slave"(as we now understand this referring to the Governing Body/Anointed at Headquarters).

So to clarify, we have 1000s & 1000s of elders worldwide, but out of all the elders worldwide some have been chosen for weighty responsibilities assisting Jesus' Anointed Brothers.

Here is where this term came from:

MOSES DAY

*** w92 4/15 p. 12 par. 3 Jehovah’s Provision, the “Given Ones” ***
Jehovah told Moses: “Bring the tribe of Levi near . . . And they must take care of all the utensils of the tent of meeting . . . And you must give the Levites to Aaron and his sons. They are given ones [Hebrew, nethu·nim′], given to him from the sons of Israel.” (Numbers 3:6, 8, 9, 41)

The Levites were “given” to Aaron to carry out duties in tabernacle service, so God could say: “They are given ones, given to me from among the sons of Israel.” (Numbers 8:16, 19; 18:6)

Some Levites performed simple tasks; others received outstanding privileges, such as teaching God’s laws. (Numbers 1:50, 51; 1 Chronicles 6:48; 23:3, 4, 24-32; 2 Chronicles 35:3-5)

RETURN FROM BABYLON
When the call went out for lovers of Jehovah in Babylon to return to the Promised Land, thousands of non-Israelites responded. In the lists provided by Ezra and Nehemiah, we read of the “Nethinim” (meaning, “Given Ones”) and “the sons of the servants of Solomon,” whose combined number was 392. The accounts mention also more than 7,500 others: ‘men slaves and slave girls,’ as well as non-Levite “male singers and female singers.” (Ezra 2:43-58, 65; Nehemiah 7:46-60, 67) What moved so many non-Israelites to return?
Ezra 1:5 speaks of “everyone whose spirit the true God had roused, to go up and rebuild the house of Jehovah.” Yes, Jehovah moved all those who returned. He stimulated their spirit, that is, their impelling mental inclination. Even from the heavens, God could do this by using his holy spirit, his active force. Thus, all who rose “to go up and rebuild the house of Jehovah” were helped “by [God’s] spirit.”—Zechariah 4:1, 6; Haggai 1:14.

A second group of non-Israelites singled out were the sons of the servants of Solomon. The Bible gives few details about them. Some were “the sons of Sophereth.” Ezra adds a definite article to that name, making it Has·so·phe′reth, possibly meaning “the scribe.” (Ezra 2:55; Nehemiah 7:57) They thus may have been a staff of scribes or copyists, possibly temple/administrative scribes. Though of foreign extraction, the sons of the servants of Solomon proved their devotion to Jehovah by leaving Babylon and returning to share in restoring His worship.

MODERN DAY

Of course, the Nethinim did not become the equals of the priests and the Levites. The latter groups were Israelites, who were chosen by Jehovah himself and not to be supplanted by non-Israelites. Yet, the Biblical indications are that in the face of a reduced number of Levites, the Nethinim were given more to do in God’s service. They were assigned living quarters close to the temple. In Nehemiah’s day they worked with priests in repairing walls near the temple. (Nehemiah 3:22-26) And the king of Persia decreed that the Nethinim be exempt from taxes, just as the Levites were exempt because of their temple service. (Ezra 7:24) This indicates how closely these “given ones” (Levites and Nethinim) were then linked in spiritual matters and how the Nethinim’s assignments increased in accord with the need, though they never were counted as being Levites.

What, though, of the fact that the Bible singles out the Nethinim and the sons of the servants of Solomon?

In the pattern the Nethinim and the sons of the servants of Solomon were given privileges beyond those of other non-Israelite returnees. This could well foreshadow that God today has extended privileges and added duties to some mature and willing other sheep.
The Nethinim’s added privileges were linked directly to spiritual activities. The sons of the servants of Solomon evidently received administrative responsibilities. Similarly today, Jehovah has blessed his people with “gifts in men” to care for their needs. (Ephesians 4:8, 11, 12) Included in this provision are many hundreds of mature, experienced brothers who share in ‘shepherding the flocks,’ serving as circuit and district overseers and on Branch Committees at the Watch Tower Society’s 98 branches. (Isaiah 61:5)

At the world headquarters of the Society, under the direction of “the faithful steward” and its Governing Body, capable men receive training to help in preparing spiritual food supplies.

(Luke 12:42)

Other longtime dedicated volunteers have been trained to operate Bethel homes and factories and to oversee programs worldwide in constructing new branch facilities and halls for Christian worship. They have excelled in serving as close helpers of the anointed remnant, who constitute part of the royal priesthood.—Compare 1 Corinthians 4:17; 14:40; 1 Peter 2:9.
In ancient times, priests and Levites continued to serve among the Jews. (John 1:19) Today, however, the remnant of spiritual Israel on earth must go on decreasing. (Contrast John 3:30.) Finally, after the demise of Babylon the Great, all 144,000 ‘sealed ones’ will be in heaven for the marriage of the Lamb. (Revelation 7:1-3; 19:1-8) But now the other sheep must go on increasing. The fact that some of them, comparable to the Nethinim and the sons of the servants of Solomon, are now being assigned weighty responsibilities under the oversight of the anointed remnant does not cause them to be presumptuous or feel self-important. (Romans 12:3) This gives us confidence that as God’s people “come out of the great tribulation,” there will be experienced men—“princes”—prepared to take the lead among the other sheep.—Revelation 7:14; Isaiah 32:1; compare Acts 6:2-7.

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

Wait till you read the recently posted October 15th study Watchtower!!!!attachicon.gifrps20140710_145221.jpg

Since this list of covenants only covers the time through the end of the thousand year reign (the Kingdom covenant specifically mentions judgment, which will be unnecessary when all humankind has reached perfection), does that mean a seventh and final covenant will be made at the end of the thousand year reign to keep Jehovah's purpose in complete perfection? (I know the WT doesn't answer that, just thinking out loud here.)

Since this list of covenants only covers the time through the end of the thousand year reign (the Kingdom covenant specifically mentions judgment, which will be unnecessary when all humankind has reached perfection), does that mean a seventh and final covenant will be made at the end of the thousand year reign to keep Jehovah's purpose in complete perfection? (I know the WT doesn't answer that, just thinking out loud here.)

Enter the New Scrolls!

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

• 1 month later...

Oh my goodness! Terms that are taking us right into the new system! Chills down my spine!

Umm the term new system has been replaced by New World. From the Regional /International Conventions. Everybody will be apart of the New World - heavenly friends (144,000) and earthly friends.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Umm the term new system has been replaced by New World. From the Regional /International Conventions. Everybody will be apart of the New World - heavenly friends (144,000) and earthly friends.

Ashley, would you please ellaborate on that? Did anyone else notice that point?

I don't remember having heard that. But I forget most of what I hear anyway... :wheelchair:

The word "aion" is still rendered "system of things" in the new translation. So we are living in the old system of things and expect to live soon in the new one. Has that terminology changed?

Edited by cvillarrubia

I don't know if this thread is good or not to discuss it. But on Friday am session I had the privilege of viewing the stream from the Branch. I personally missed it because of walking around Ford Field with cobe and a MS for an attendant assignment. I'll look over it again but I think it's a new point or clarification. I'm queuing it up now. I'll post it here or pm you.

Edited by AHBrown173

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Thank you, Ashley.

I have never really given much thoguht to what exactly is meant by "new world". At first sight I would say that since the "old world" is the human society that is controlled by Satan, the "new world" would be the human society controlled by Jehovah. So I would like to know if that is not the right understanding and what are the arguments for it.

I'm all set Carlos. It was during the keynote address Highly esteem Kingdom blessings. BRO Splane really broken it down. I'll pm it to you.

Ashley

I don't know if this thread is good or not to discuss it. But on Friday am session I had the privilege of viewing the stream from the Branch. I personally missed it because of walking around Ford Field with cobe and a MS for an attendant assignment. I'll look over it again but I think it's a new point or clarification. I'm queuing it up now. I'll post it here or pm you.

I'm all set Carlos. It was during the keynote address Highly esteem Kingdom blessings. BRO Splane really broken it down. I'll pm it to you.

Ashley

Ahh, shucks! You're going to PM Carlos but you're going to leave the rest of us in the dark? This thread is about keeping up with new terms, isn't it? Why question whether you should discuss it here?

Please enlighten us too!

Here's one of the things that is going to change: We will not longer use the term "Special Assembly Day", all our one day assembies from now on will be "Circuit Assemblies".

I'm glad about this one as it never was a SAD assembly

Hartley

It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step :- Jer10:23.

Not a day goes by wherein the truth of this scripture is not reaffirmed

Ahh, shucks! You're going to PM Carlos but you're going to leave the rest of us in the dark? This thread is about keeping up with new terms, isn't it? Why question whether you should discuss it here?

Please enlighten us too!

Yes!!!!!

POST IT!!!!!

I didn't want to upset the moderators, so I posted it in the members only forum of convention spoilers. Because some didn't go to their convention yet. It's there. Sorry for the cliffhanger friends. ☺

We are tough :crackwhip:

But as we are in the new service year, we posted that all things from the convention are open in any thread now.

Feel free to post it here to if you wish - my brother.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

OK friends, my arm was twisted. Lol

Here it is:

Keynote address on Friday

Discussion of 2 Corinthians 12:1-4

12 I have to boast. It is not beneficial, but I will move on to supernatural visions and revelations of the Lord.2 I know a man in union with Christ who, 14 years ago—whether in the body or out of the body, I do not know; God knows—was caught away to the third heaven. 3 Yes, I know such a man—whether in the body or apart from the body, I do not know; God knows— 4 who was caught away into paradise and heard words that cannot be spoken and that are not lawful for a man to say.

Paul was referring to himself.

He received a revelation or a vision of a future event.

He had seen the third heaven.

Not that there are 3 different heavens.

Three denotes intensity and added strength.

What was being discussed was spiritually - the highest form of heaven.

It wasn't literal but a figurative heaven.

Peter made reference to wicked earthly rulers as heavenly figures 2 Peter 3:7

Paul wasn't talking about wicked rulers.

2 Peter 3:13- new heavens and new Earth

'third' represents highest form of heaven - new heaven

Third heaven is the messianic kingdom- that what was Paul was caught away to.

Possibly Paul had seen the paradise of God (spiritual heavens) , earthly future paradise and future spiritual paradise.

New World is combination of new heavens and new Earth.

Whether ones hope is heavenly or earthly they will be in the new world.

Why discuss these matters, because the Kingdom is RULING and now is the time to speak about it.

(then sets up the what is the Kingdom of God tract)

That's excellent. Bridgette

• 5 months later...

NG=Need Greaters

GO= Given Ones

STD=Satan The Devil :o

forgive me, this is off topic, but, how fitting it is that STD also means: sexually transmitted disease,  which can be just as filthy and deadly as satan.

Psalms 51:6 "In the secret self...may you cause me to know sheer wisdom"

Tim,

I came across this thread again and had actually forgot about it. Or that I had made a post regarding your remarks. But

when I saw the topic I thought to my self. Tim is obviously on his little soapbox again, and bashing us again for not using the

correct current terminology. Can't you find something more important to hammer on, like how we can better reflex the love

and mercy of Jehovah and Jesus. How we can be of greater encouragement to the friends, the elderly, or the ill in the con-

gregation. How we can work to improve our ministry, etc. Or so many other upbuilding and constructive subjects. But I have

come to believe you are not happy unless you can display your supposed superiority in the organization, and are at the for-

front of being a champion of it's latest developments. Beware that what you think is your strength and glory, proves to be

your downfall and ruin. Take it from one who has seen many like you over the last 40 years of my association with the truth.

GStorrs46